Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Chinese clone engines

this thread has 80 replies and has been viewed 56051 times

Old 10-01-2014, 09:32:16 PM
Registered

Photo Re: Chinese clone engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tron View Post
If I were in need of an engine, I would simply go down to the local mower shop or scan ebay/craigslist. You can get a good Wisconsin or Briggs engine for less than any of these new Chinese clone engines; it will last for ever with basic maintenance and you will have the piece of mind that the engine is not going to blow up on you
Chris

My feelings EXACTLY.. I'd rather have a used Briggs than "China Junk"... Briggs has a great parts network and solid engines. Just MHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC14663.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	207500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Intek 6.5 Cyl Head 02.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	207501  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2014, 04:57:56 AM
Registered

Default Re: Chinese clone engines

Say the carb on that yellow painted Briggs engine, does it allow for High and Idle speed adjustments, or is it fixed jet no adjustments. I was looking to get for my Briggs 80202 0430 3hp 4stroke engine one which has that. Also I see what looks like a manifold adapter. I made one for what I'm using now, it is that I needed to have both 90 degree elbow and 17 degree tilt compensated for where the engine fits in the frame of the low powered motorcycle I made for trail riding.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:36:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,423 Times in 2,723 Posts

Both those carbs are chin knockoffs of KeiHin carbs for Honda bikes of the mid 60's- mid 70's design.

High speed jet is fixed but you can get jets in umpteen sizes.
Mid range is set via needle position on the slide
Low speed jets are fixed with an adjustment screw for idle air mix next to the air intake.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 10-25-2014, 11:40:11 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertospare View Post
Say the carb on that yellow painted Briggs engine, does it allow for High and Idle speed adjustments, or is it fixed jet no adjustments. I was looking to get for my Briggs 80202 0430 3hp 4stroke engine one which has that. Also I see what looks like a manifold adapter. I made one for what I'm using now, it is that I needed to have both 90 degree elbow and 17 degree tilt compensated for where the engine fits in the frame of the low powered motorcycle I made for trail riding.

The intake manifold I used was Briggs P/N 691922 (about 34.00 on e-Bay). This manifold will fit 2-5 HP Horizontal engines. This intake will not compensate for the 17 degree tilt. The carburetor on the orange "Animal" engine is a Walbro (exclusively patented by Briggs PN 555658 & OEM equipment for the "Animal" racing engine). The carburetor on the yellow "Raptor" engine is a Walbro "clone" (nearly identical and interchangeable parts with the Walbro). Both carbs have a fixed main jet, adjustable air/fuel screw and mechanical idle screw.. since both engines are 206cc, and these carbs are already jetted for 206cc engines, it wasn't necessary to re-jet them.

PS.. You can see the rest of my engines in my photo album.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1..jpg
Views:	24
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	209367  

Last edited by Briggs Man; 10-25-2014 at 11:25:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:45:53 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like oldstuff View Post
Both those carbs are chin knockoffs of KeiHin carbs for Honda bikes of the mid 60's- mid 70's design.

Not sure about chin knockoffs or KeiHin or Honda bikes. Only know that the orange engine has an OEM Briggs (Walbro) PN 555658 carb and the yellow engine has a Walbro "clone" carb... LOL !

Last edited by Briggs Man; 10-25-2014 at 11:35:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:19:30 PM
Registered

The yellow engine carb looks like I could adapt it to my build, I pics showing what I have now, both same carbs. I bought a second of the same when I found the rebuild kit costing more than half that of a whole new carb.

For the picture yellow engine with the Chinese MC type carb:
The airfilter is it missing (I guess temporarily) in the picture on the yellow engine, but it would be the same as on the other engine, that round cover which has paper or probably foam you use that special oil I have for foam filters.

Thanks, I have posted on another site some of the particulars a carb I was thinking I would get that looks like it has Idle adjustment (mixture screw) and also High Speed.

Briggs & Stratton 498170 carb is the one I got for about 18 bucks but has no adjustments...... looking to get one to fit in its place (but has idle adjust mixture screw) using as much all same airfilter and manifold size diameter / bolts as possible.

Here is it pasted:

--------------------
2nd listing down think ships from Midwest USA
New CARBURETOR Carb for Tecumseh 632615 632208 632589 fits H30 H35 Engines
$23.99
Was: $39.99
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...h35+carburetor

This show ebay carbs that may be anywhere from 40 down to 5 bucks. I think if I pay about 25 bucks and get it shipped from with in the US, but well knowing it is not Tecumsuh actual brand as it is obsolted I think and they are clones made over seas.
---------------------

Carburetor Replaces Briggs & Stratton 498170, 497586. Includes O-Ring and Air Cleaner Gasket.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My carb is the clone of a Briggs I'm using now with no adjustments for High or Idle from Amazon.

---------------------

Fitting the carb in place that is different I can do with a bit of ingenuity but the air filter and box for it will be another purchase necessary if I don't jury rig.

I don't know why, but finding one that uses the same air filter / air filter box, for the kind of Briggs Carb clone I have now with High and Idle screw adjustments just seem to be not available?

I look for a buy on ebay or amazon for the carb pictured (KieHin) if the valve adjustment when I get the new intake valve from ebay and set with Easy_Spin 1/4 down piston ATDC valve/tappet gap at 0.006"to 0.007", do not get it to idle OK.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2296.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	209377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2297.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	209378  
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertospare For This Post:
Old 10-25-2014, 02:28:59 PM
Registered

http://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Rep...buretor+498170

Here is the amazon link that works an the jpeg of the current carb I have.

I use a method to put a 4-40 screw fasted with nuts and split/flat washer to get a pin that then goes to my twistgrip throttle cable end and a return spring. I use another spring besides the return spring that couple to the 4-40 screw that allows it to get to high speed stop and low speed stop and not break weak plastic throttle part. Maybe over kill, but I out there riding in the elements.

Another picture out in the National Forests Central California attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	41J4+jaznsL._SY450_.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	209379  
Old 10-25-2014, 02:31:00 PM
Registered

Default Carb that uses slow speed mixture screw

Correct picture in the wilderness.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1767.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	209380  
The Following User Says Thank You to Powertospare For This Post:
Old 10-25-2014, 11:18:23 PM
Registered

Photo Re: Carb that uses slow speed mixture screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powertospare View Post
Correct picture in the wilderness.

Powertospare, Stay away from that Briggs 498170 carb (it doesn't have an idle circuit)..no contemporary Briggs carbs have adjustable main jets (Federal emissions)....

For your application (using the 691922 intake manifold) you would probably be very happy with the 632615 Tecumseh (reproduction) carb. It's fully tunable with an adjustable main jet, air/fuel & mechanical idle. If you price around eBay you can sometimes get them for under 21.00. I mounted one on a 3.5 Briggs (see photo) and it ran great. The matching air filter assembly is Tecumseh PN 730127 (also on eBay). I think the Briggs "Animal" carb 555658 (eBay) would be an overkill for your application.

I'm guessing that you are not using a governor control on your engine. Keep in mind that a stock Briggs is only good to 3600 RPM.. anything higher can lead to engine failure..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDC15020.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	209439   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC15026.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	209440  

Last edited by Briggs Man; 10-25-2014 at 11:37:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:43:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
I have great luck buying used B&S powered mowers for $25.00- 50.00.

I lay up properly for winter, if in good shape, and someone asks, often sell in spring for $75.00 + a non working one.
Amen. Amazed by all the talk of buying NEW lawn mowers and engines...push lawn mowers are like free, 8hp horizontal shaft Briggs is $25 if you take the whole dead snow blower or generator(I know ya gotta rig a breather or saw the end off and cut a keyway)...I have 2 18hp riders..one was $35 the other $50..pour the water out of the carb and go to it man..the $50 one is mothballed cuz the $35 one just needed minor tinkering in 3 years and I mow about 1/2 acre...the Chinese invasion will likely get us all eventually by why encourage it..???
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTR For This Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 12:02:55 AM
Registered

I read this saw Briggs man, yup, many years I doing same way with any small motors after I bought new motor and do rejetted and few adjust/modfield before use. make it run fine and lasted longtime. I picked up a free nearly new 5hp briggs push lawn, exhaust valve seat loosed cause of to lean fuel (overheating)(Federal emissions crap), I fixed seat, removed easy start cam, grind shorter lifters to right gap, lower head, and rejetted. runs great for about nearly 20 years.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:14:44 AM
Registered

yep, and so often there is very little if anything wrong with them cuz of cost to get stuff fixed now adays folks just put equipment out by the road or on Craigslist if it runs funky won't start..I love it..
The Following User Says Thank You to OTR For This Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 08:26:44 AM
Registered

I agree that oftentimes the engine has little wrong with it. That doesn't automatically apply to the rest of the machine, however.

Then too, some folks simply do not possess the knowledge, or the time to fiddle with a reluctant mower just to get the grass cut. It's simpler for them to purchase a cheap, new mower every couple three years, get a warranty with it, and mow the grass for as long as the thing will last, then replace it.

I have noticed though, that this is often the last step before hiring someone to do your yard work for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to sprkplug For This Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 08:46:02 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

I like to "Cheat the junkman".

If I had the room (and inclination), I could have a garage full of mowers, trimmers, computers, appliances, etc. that only need some tinkering to be like new.

Too many projects, not enough time!

Right now, I've got a free one year old, hardly used Weed Eater that's awaiting the final demise of an older free Weed Eater.

The older one just needed a primer bulb and fuel lines and runs fine. The newer one is as yet undiagnosed but at least the bulb is good. I'll get around to it eventually.

It amazes me that we throw out good stuff because either nobody knows how to fix it or doesn't know how to fix it right and charges an arm and a leg to do it wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 08:58:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,713 Times in 845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprkplug View Post
...often the last step before hiring someone to do your yard work for you.
Pay attention to the equipment the pro's use. No $150 cheapies from Walmart, that's for sure.

Also, a lot of homeowners don't know squat about maintenance. Small engines should have oil changes about 25 hours. Most are lucky to get changed once a year. Air cleaners are another issue. Those little guys are down in the dust sucking it all in, trying to provide the air for the mix that makes 'em go. Gotta clean them........ you know, all the things we know to do.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:08:44 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,423 Times in 2,723 Posts

I have a neighbor that has kept me in free small equipment for 30+ years. When something won't start he gets totally mad and buys a new one. Hey, you want this? Sure is the reply.

Things I got from him and still use:
1972 Lawnboy
Two leaf blowers
String trimmer
16" Poulan chain saw (chain was on backwards)

Donations from him that I gave to others:
8 hp chipper/shredder
Three or four lawnmowers
A couple more string trimmers
2500 watt gen
Rider mower
And a few other things I cant remember
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 10:52:07 AM
Registered

That's the way I roll..eventually I guess there will be little or no good old American stuff left..so on the subject of Chinese engines I'd say it's like most stuff Chinese..their concept of quality control is ship everything and let the end user sort it out, which is kind of too bad since there is some good Chinese stuff they must be capable of a decent product..
Old 11-17-2014, 02:25:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,713 Times in 845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTR View Post
...there is some good Chinese stuff they must be capable of a decent product..
That's the stuff they keep for themselves. They're not stupid!
The Following User Says Thank You to MoRo For This Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 02:38:08 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,944 Posts

ALL Apple products are made in China, and Apple has top rep re hardware reliability, so China can make quality if so inclined.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:50:30 PM
Registered

am I the only one who thinks the small engine icon at top of the page looks like it's intaking through the muffler and exhausting out the carb..???