Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

NGK Plugs?

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2005 times

Old 01-13-2013, 10:33:11 AM
Registered

Default NGK Plugs?

Many here seem to have a high opinion of NGK spark plugs. I on the other hand have yet to find a good one! Honda engines seen to eat them like candy! I'm running Champions in all my Honda engines now. Is my supplier selling me seconds or something? Anyone else find that NGK plugs are junk?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 11:34:03 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts
Default Re: NGK Plugs?

I use NGK 10mm spark plugs in my home-made engines and find that they (like all other 10mm plugs I've used over the years) tend to oil foul easily.

Since the little plugs I need are only sold by NGK (as far as I can tell), I'm sorta stuck with them.

In other words, I can't personally tell you if they are good or bad.

Big help, ain't I?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:08:09 PM
Registered

Are you running the correct heat range? What happens to the plug when the engine "eats" it? NGK's are usually standard equipment on Hondas.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,604 Times in 744 Posts

Only spark plugs I've had a problem with in small engines were Champions. This was mainly new ones out of the box. At one time years ago I swapped out all the Champion plugs with Autolite plugs. Didn't have any problems with them but now I don't know of anyone around here who stocks them. Seems it's now Champion, NGK or some obscure aftermarket lawnmower plugs made in China.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Sherlock For This Post:
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51:30 PM
Registered

I have use NGK plugs in Kawasaki Mules for years with excellent results. I tried Champions and they tend to foul more often in that model of engine.

Bill
Old 01-13-2013, 03:49:02 PM
Registered

I guess it's like the lottery!

Alot of people say Autolites are good. But after 2 seperate occasions I've put new Autolites in a 2stroke engine only to wear myself out trying to start it. Put the old plug back in to have it start the first pull/kick. Our local parts store used to really push Autolites. I avoid them. I've heard other people talk about getting bad plugs in other brands, so I guess it just depends on who's unlucky enough to get the plug that somehow got by quality control. I buy NGK's for all my 2strokes if I can get them.

Jeff
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51:54 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprkplug View Post
Are you running the correct heat range? What happens to the plug when the engine "eats" it? NGK's are usually standard equipment on Hondas.
Yes I am running the right heat range. When I was a kid I had a Honda ATC 200M. It would foul the plug, you could clean an NGK plug maybe twice before it would no longer fire. Champions I could clean many times over. It seems like every time I have a Honda that won't start, I check for spark and it's either very weak or non-existant. So I change the plug and problem solved. I think the resistor inside the plug breaks down or something, and yes I am running the correct gap on the plugs.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:10:21 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,437 Times in 2,046 Posts

I like either NGK or Bosch plugs. good life with both.
Used to be Autolites were the plug of choice.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:35:36 AM
Registered

I swear by NGK plugs! at work that's all we use mainly, you say Honda engines eat plugs? what engine is it? Guess you talking on a lawn mower or generator. . . NGK bpr6es or a bpr4es is what you should be using in a Honda depending if has a automatic choke or not?

Matt
Old 01-14-2013, 09:11:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 636 Posts

At work we use NGK across the board on everything. Great plugs as well as Nippondenso. I had an ND plug in a Honda GX140 for damn near 20 years before it finally fouled out. Bosch is OK also. Autolite like Champion was good back when. In vintage engines all I use are vintage Champion or Autolite plugs.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:46:32 PM
Registered

I used to use NGK's exclusively in all my dirt bikes, ATV's . they would foul not too often, but that was still too much for me, so I checked the usual suspect list, was my engine in good shape inside ? did I goof up and mix the 2 stroke oil w the gas at an incorrect ratio ? no , What I did find was if I upgraded from the standard plug (B8ES) to the race version(B8EV) the problem disappeared! just like everything else, you hand them more money and you get what you thought you were getting in the first place !
The Following User Says Thank You to Restofire For This Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,086 Times in 1,923 Posts

I have been useing Ngk's in several things lately with no bad results.I started useing them when my old chevy wagon got to fouling 3 plugs on the right bank every couple 1000 miles.Now it is about every 10,000 miles.
Back in September I bought 4 new autolight 3095's and put them in my TT truck.About 20 miles run time I had it in the shop putting a new pulley on the crankshaft when I noticed there was oil all over the porcilan.
Turns out I could turn the center porcilain inside the metal part of the plug.I checked my stash of plugs and boxes and the last new set I bought was US made.These were mexico.
I took them back for a refund and I am useing old plugs in the T's that I clean up.Had allways got good service till this last batch.
Since the local advance carrys the champion plug I ask to see 1.Sure enough,made in mexico to.at nearly 14 bucks a plug.Naw.

Champion lately fouls at the first sniff of something.Dont know why.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:51:41 PM
Registered

I've ran lots of NGK plugs in the past in Polaris and Honda 4 wheelers. An Advance Auto supply near me never keeps all the NGK plugs in stock now so I've been getting equivalent numbers from them in Autolite in 12mm hotter heat range plug having better luck with them than did with NGK. I agree with others that someone may not be crossing the numbers right giving you the wrong heat range plugs.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:58:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,604 Times in 744 Posts

"Champion lately fouls at the first sniff of something. Dont know why"

Maybe it's the vodka they're putting in the gas!

Bill