Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Comments on Parts Washer Musings Wanted

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 3335 times

Old 12-06-2013, 05:07:34 PM
Registered

Default Comments on Parts Washer Musings Wanted

The price of off the shelf solvent is too pricy. A guy on the net suggested a DIY mix of 8 gallons kerosene, 3 gallons gasoline, and 1 gallon of acetone. I have to wonder if this is any worse then commercial solvent and parts washers have lids that drop in case of fire for a reason.

I tried water based parts cleaners but was unimpressed. Someone suggest using a magnetic oil pan heater which would cause them to work better. But they freeze which may be what killed my last pump. Still it is tempting to go this route and pull the pump when not in use.

Regarding alternatives to a traditional parts washer. I have a heated ultrasonic cleaner that I use for carbs and other small parts. Love it. Mostly use dawn and if needed ammonia which will clean the plating off a carb if you leave it in too long. I think one could use a similar mix in a repurposed dishwasher. RV antifreeze when not in use?

A shop teacher I know made a big parts washer/cooker from a 55 gallon drum and an electric water heater element. I do not need anything that big.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2013, 06:18:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,891 Times in 773 Posts
Default Re: Comments on Parts Washer Musings Wanted

Just use mineral spirits, or if you can't afford that use diesel fuel. If you can find it, I bet that 100% biodiesel would be a better solvent yet.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:41:14 PM
Registered

I soaked a Lauson cylinder head overnight in Mineral Spirits (in a unheated garage, temp around zero) and the results were not as spectacular as I thought it would be.... Is it a temperature sensitive process?
Thanks,
TekNik
Old 12-06-2013, 06:58:03 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by froelich View Post
Last I knew Kerosene and Gasoline and Acetone was not exactly cheap. For get the gas. I know of a young man that is living with the results of using gas for parts cleaner.
Parts cleaner on amazon is about $20 a gallon but ships free with prime.

Did he burn himself or screw up his lungs with the fumes?

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekNik View Post
I soaked a Lauson cylinder head overnight in Mineral Spirits (in a unheated garage, temp around zero) and the results were not as spectacular as I thought it would be.... Is it a temperature sensitive process?
Thanks,
TekNik
I would say yes but have no data to back that up. Warmer molecules move faster.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:56:53 PM
Subscriber

I use the cleaner from Tractor Supply , around $40.00 for a 5 gallon bucket if my memory is still usable , and it works quite well
Old 12-06-2013, 09:37:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,034 Times in 1,622 Posts

Using gasoline to wash parts is a good way to get your butt blown off...even a partial mixture of it.
I'm just about at a loss myself about parts washing fluid-one brand of mineral spirits I was using turned bad in just a while, such a nasty bad-gas smell it would make you sick, so I changed to a "parts cleaning solvent" from Carquest that's more stable, but yes, pricey-about 40 bucks for 5 gal. I got a gallon of "odorless mineral spirits" to use in the solvent gun to wash out an engine, but that's too expensive now too. My hands don't like solvent any more, I use the nitrile gloves if I'm washing many pieces, but the water-based stuff hasn't impressed me either...used to get good ol' Stoddard solvent from the bulk plant, got tons of that for like 50 cents a galloon, but those days are long gone. The EPA has just about forced out the good ol' hot tanks w/Oakite-caustic soda-that was some good stuff there! Maybe it's just gettin' time to retire...
The new bake-oven type cleaners the machine shops are using get things really clean, but I don't like what they do to threaded holes-if you don't run a tap in every hole, you're asking for trouble...
Old 12-06-2013, 09:46:13 PM
Registered

See what kind of deal you can work out with a local Safety-Kleen dealer. I bought their parts washer and they service it when I call them. The only thing to keep in mind is that the solvent and drum is their property, as they have to be able to account for its whereabouts.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:44:11 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 3,202 Times in 990 Posts

We use Crystal Kleen solvent at work in a couple of parts washer tanks. Good stuff but probably a good idea to wear gloves. An African-American fellow stuck his hand in the tank to show me how safe it was and his hand came out pale when he pulled it out. The color returned, but the paleness was caused by the solvent stripping the oil from his skin.
I use gasoline occasionally if removing varnish off a nameplate. Otherwise I use kerosene and never around open flames or spark sources.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:14:27 PM
Subscriber

I got away from solvent parts cleaning several years ago as I could no longer be around it without getting a cross eyed head ache, any of it, tried 10 differant brands. Bought a spray cabinet hot water/ detergent washer and have never once regretted it. They are pricey to both purchase and operate for a guy to use once or twice a month but if your washing parts daily or even 3-4 days a week they are the cat's meow. Now I get things accomplished, or more often take a nap while parts are cleaning. When the solution gets dirty is goes down the drain, it's no more toxic than the clothes washer discharge after my stuff goes through it. We skim the oil prior to cleaning. What settles to the bottom we gather and put in an 5 gallon bucket and donate to the greenies when they have a household hazardous waste pick up day once a year.

Its tougher for a fellow who doesn't do much volume to get into anything that works as well as stoddard, mineral spirits or any of the propitiatory products based upon them. But I think we all better be prepared for the day when it wont be legal to wash parts in petroleum solvents, just my opinion.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:27:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,034 Times in 1,622 Posts

Yep, it's worth what he charges for me to just take parts to the machine shop up the road a ways & have him run them through his wash cabinet...I think he charged me about 30 bucks to do my service truck engine, hardware & all...only drawback is he dumped all my bolts in one basket, & said "You'll figure 'em out!" Which I did...
Old 12-07-2013, 02:04:19 PM
Registered

Thanks everyone great replies.

ronm I am guessing the nearest place here that might wash parts is an hour or two away. The place I used to use charged the same if you had one bolt or an entire car engine.

The last car dealership in town closed this year. I doubt places like Crystal Kleen stop here and it may be too much for my beer budget shop.

dieseladdicted made a very good point about the sensitivity. For me it was the most persuasive. Who needs more health problems.

Time to do some experimenting with water based cleaning with heat. The question on my mind is how hot is too hot for my pump. A webpage for Ranger Auto Parts Spray-Wash Cabinets states
Pump output: 72 psi @ 70 GPM
Motor: 1-HP, 230VAC, 60hz, 1 phase
Water temperature: 135°-175° Fahrenheit
I have no intention of doing anything that big. The plastic parts should be ok but I do not know what the temperature will do to the motor. I may have to switch to an external pump where the motor does not run in the solution.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:57:31 PM
Registered

Like was mentioned above, grab an old dishwasher and some good dishwashing soap. It'll amaze you at the job it will do!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:48:26 PM
Subscriber

We use the Crystal Kleen at work also. Works fairly well, but takes a little extra time of scrubbing when parts have thick oil on/in them. Had a pump the last week that was used for no. 6 fuel oil. That took some time, but it did clean up petty good. The solution is heated hot enough that you don't want bare hands in it too long, wear gloves.
PT
Old 12-08-2013, 05:51:46 PM
Registered

Just moved the old parts washer out to where I can work on it. The inside tank bottom is on the rusty side but I don't think it leaks. Should be in good enough shape to try out a few heated solutions.

Prior to getting the parts washer I did was a few loads of parts in the dishwasher. Guess what I got for Christmas.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3VO For This Post:
Old 12-23-2013, 08:01:27 PM
Registered

We have the water based cleaner at work. I did not like it at first,it would get really dirty/crappy quickly. One day I stuck an oilsorb pad under the filter,and change it weekly. The oilsorb pad removes the oils that get there,and it stays clean for months!
Still not as good old mineral spirits but it works for us. I doubt the sorbs would work on spirits though.
Grub
Old 12-24-2013, 03:18:28 AM
Registered

i am retired army, i used the dishwasher to clean my helmit, loadbearing equipment, and a few other items. always got the nasty foul smelling odor from helmit, and i did not have to take it apart, scrub, and put it back together.