Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Repainting a really badly painted engine

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1711 times

Old 07-28-2004, 10:13:27 PM
Bob R.

Default Repainting a really badly painted engine

Got a 1 HP Famous that runs great, but really looks bad. The paint job is terrible and pinstriping is even worse. Should I take it apart to do the paint job right? Let me know what you think. Am only hesitating because it starts and runs so easily.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2004, 10:44:43 PM
Ralph Leonard

Default Re: Repainting a really badly painted engine

Bob, that engine is well worth the effort to do it right. And its easier to deal with the individual parts.

I use cheap oven cleaner from the Dollar store. Occlude the parts in plastic to keep them wet for an hour or two and hose it off. A pressure washer works even better. Two cans and a pair of plastic gloves will easily do an engine that size.

Ralph in NC
Old 07-29-2004, 07:27:53 AM
Randy

I just repainted my 1-1/2 KELLER, without taking it apart, because it starts & runs so good. Taping it off wasn't TOO bad, but taking the tape off, was! I folded the ends, so I could find them, but the tape would break & NOT cooperate! I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS!!! I've repainted a couple other engines, without taking them apart & they've turned out pretty good. I used a wire-wheel & paint remover, to get off as much of the old paint as possibe. You gotta go with what works! BE SAFE...rubber gloves & goggles should be used! GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 07:50:26 AM
Bill Schaller

the odds are that the engine was originally hand painted after assembly, so that would be the correct way to restore it.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:37:56 AM
Bruce Sutton

When you take them apart you can do a better job on the re-finish plus your going to find other little things that you didn't know about that need attention. My thoughts.