Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

7-12hp pull rope. Need the best. Tired of them breaking.

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 728 times

Old 02-13-2019, 09:41:14 PM
Registered

Default 7-12hp pull rope. Need the best. Tired of them breaking.

I am having issues with generic pull start cords that are supposedly rated for the engines I have.

I have a few small vintage tractors with 7-12 briggs and tecumseh's engines and a few other pieces of equipment that have big Wisconsin and wisconsin robins on them up to 12hp. The older wisconsin is a wrap around and pull style. It had a substantial rope with it when i got it years ago but it was dry rotted.

All of these I have redone and got running but I am having issues with the starter ropes breaking even in the recoil type starters.

I am not well versed in the small engine world and cannot seem to find or just don't know of a thicker stronger rope like these need to use. I ordered some that was rated for 11hp on ebay but it shredded in short order trying to start a 8hp briggs over the summer. There isn't any sharp edges on any of these recoils or the old wisconsin's wrap around pulley. All of them i have tried seem like they are stretching when pulled. Like cheap clothesline or something.

Is there a particular brand and size of cord I need to be looking at?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2019, 11:34:19 PM
Registered

Default Re: 7-12hp pull rope. Need the best. Tired of them breaking.

Try climbing rope. I had a buddy with an atc 90 Honda three wheeler & they had problems with the cord breaking. His dad rigged it up with narrow gauge climbing cord.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:41:22 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,016 Times in 706 Posts

Stens is pretty much the leader in the recoil rope industry. They have every size from 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6 and 7. You probably want a #6 (3/16") rope for your 8hp Briggs & Strattons. 146-927 for black or 146-068 for white. I use 7/32" rope for my Wisconsin wrap-a-rope starters. I usually keep two on every machine that has one, as they do break from time to time. The #6 ropes should last a long time on your Briggs & Strattons. Make sure that the recoil isnt snapping the rope back too fast, and make sure that the starter dogs are engaged before pulling on the rope. I see folks all of the time yanking the recoil rope like they are ready to fight. You need to pull slowly until the starter dogs engage, and then give it all you got. The length of the rope is also critical. If you pull at full arms length and the cord is only that long, you will either break the recoil spring or snap the rope.

Chris
Old 02-13-2019, 11:52:31 PM
Registered

I have a cable in lue of rope on my reo 1- 3/4 hp its 68 years old even has a oiler on the recoil spring, they built em right in the old days....
Old 02-14-2019, 12:20:37 AM
Registered

You need the size that fits in the pulley. Too thin and the rope wedges beside itself, too thick won't recoil properly. 8hp B & S use #5.5 rope in plastic pulleys, older 6 & 7hp with metal pulleys used #6. We used spools of very soft nylon rope made for sailboat rigging.

If you have a B & S dealer close by, stop in and ask to look at a 295871 pulley & rope assy. That's the rope you should look for.

It's late and I don't have my book handy, it may be #5 rope not 5.5, definitely not #6
Old 02-14-2019, 05:06:55 PM

Thanked 6,765 Times in 4,300 Posts
Question Re: 7-12hp pull rope. Need the best. Tired of them breaking.

My question is: Where is the rope braking? If at the knotted end that engages the pulley, you might try either a different type of knot or check the pulley for a sharp edge. If by the handle, then use a different knot to attach the rope. If it is breaking mid way, you might be using the wrong size. Too small snd the rope will bind against itself and abrade until it wears out. Too large and it will bind in either the lip of the starter cup or the rope guide in the recoil assembly. have a close look at the rope guide in the recoil housing. it can get worn as a rope ages and will cut down a new rope even if it does not seem to be worn or sharp.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:40:07 PM
Registered

Hi Team,
Caterpillar pony engine starting ropes are not a recoil re-coil type starting device.
They are wrap the rope around a groove in the flywheel that has well rounded and smooth edges to the knot slot--as mentioned above.

Cat currently sells Polyproylene (as read from a Parts Gram) more likely POLYPROPYLENE sash cord rope, 1/4" diameter with a 250 lbs minimum tensile strength--I am sure you could buy it cheaper at your local hardware store.

If you have tried a quality--not Chinese--sash cord unsuccessfully, then I am out of ideas other than sharp edges in the knot working areas--I use Figure of eight knots for the handle and working ends of the rope.

https://www.animatedknots.com/fig8_/index.php

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Eddie B.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:49:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,909 Times in 2,053 Posts

This is the stuff I bought. Seems that it basically doubled in price since I bought it in 2014, but I can honestly attest that it is tough! 100 foot is a lifetime supply for recoil ropes.
Doc
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00775POGG/
Old 02-19-2019, 09:11:48 PM
Registered

Is there a rule of thumb for how long a pull rope should be? I made my own for a couple of Briggs Model As but I just guessed at a good length and they seem a bit long or my arm is too short. I have these engines mounted on some cheap little Harbor Freight wheeled carts so you have to put a foot down on them for starting. I think I made them so they go 3-1/2 turns around the sheaves.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:34:43 PM
Registered

wind up the pulley and spring all the way until it stops. Unwind the spring until the hole in the pulley is lined up with the hole in the housing. Insert rope and let the pulley pull in as much rope as it can. Cut off rope to the desired length just so there is a little tension on the grip.

The rule--- rope is short enough so that you come to the end of the rope before you get to the end of the spring.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:13:16 PM
Registered

I don't mean the recoil starter type. Sorry I guess I changed gears in the middle of this.