Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs L1 Piston

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 808 times

Old 03-30-2019, 11:04:36 PM
Registered

Default Briggs L1 Piston

Hello. I've been taking apart an old f1 for a rebuild..it's in pretty rough shape but it all seems to be there. Been doin a lot of electrolis work on it and it sure helps. I'm down to a stuck piston now with the Crank shaft out of the way. The piston is stuck at top dead center. A few more days soaking and I'm going to press it out. My question is, does it take a common 2 inch piston like the wmb and others. I ask because it may get destroid getting it out. I have a hydrolic press but hate to put that much pressure on it. Bank suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2019, 11:09:43 PM
Registered

Default Briggs L1 piston.

Hello. I've been taking apart an old L1 f or a rebuild..it's in pretty rough shape but it all seems to be there. Been doin a lot of electrolis work on it and it sure helps. I'm down to a stuck piston now with the Crank shaft out of the way. The piston is stuck at top dead center. A few more days soaking and I'm going to press it out. My question is, does it take a common 2 inch piston like the wmb and others. I ask because it may get destroid getting it out. I have a hydrolic press but hate to put that much pressure on it. Any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2019, 12:57:10 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,016 Times in 706 Posts
Default Re: Briggs L1 piston.

It would be a good idea to let the piston soak in penetrating oil for a few days before attempting to press the piston out. I have used a piece of hard wood turned 0.060" undersize of the cylinder bore, with a plate of steel on top. You never want to push a stuck piston directly with another metal. After everything is set up in the press, heat the cylinder up to 500-600* with an acetylene torch. Try not to heat the piston directly. Once the cylinder is hot, spray the piston with some oil, and then proceed in the pressing operation. It should come free pretty easily with a good press. If the piston does not move after a few pumps, just leave it for a few minutes. The piston will cool faster than the cylinder. Reheat as necessary. Tapping the side of the cylinder fins with a rubber mallet will heed penetration. Let us know how you make out.

Chris
Old 03-31-2019, 08:16:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts

Your L should have a 2.25” bore. I can’t say for sure, but I think your best bet for a piston swap would be one from a model Y or a model A. Both are very common engines and have the same bore.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Old 03-31-2019, 10:39:24 AM
Registered

same as a Y piston
Old 03-31-2019, 11:44:12 AM
Subscriber

The L series engines use the same piston as the Model M series engines, same part number. The model FH, Y and a the other engines with the same 2-1/4" bore have a different part number. I personally used a piston and rod from a L engine in my model M restoration.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:14:50 PM
Registered

Thanks, I'll start watchin ebay. Your right of course on the size piston. I was just going of memory, which is not reliable any more. Thanks for the help. This thing is a real challenge. I think it's spent about 50 years in the weather. I'm slowly getting it apart. With help from propane torch, pb blaster and electrolisis. I'm concerned about the stuck piston. I'll let her soak for a while before trying it.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:17:13 AM
Registered

Default Re: Briggs F1 piston.

I would measure the bore to find out the size. See as how it's stuck at TDC, just use a ruler for a rough estimate of bore size.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:39:42 PM
Registered

Damn, you guys are geniuses. Two days of pb

blaster. Propain torch. Oak cylinder. Bout
500 lbs. And out she comes. Cylinder looks good and piston looks good. I didn't have much hope for it. But I cant stop doing my victory dance now. Wrist pin is stiff but that's ok. I'll work I it free. The pot metal governor has some teeth eat away. But the cam and cam gears look good9

---------- Post added at 05:33:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24:24 PM ----------

Now I can put my crank shaft in the lathe and turn the pto end back to cylidrical. Apparently some one tried to remove the pulley by prying outward on the pulley and beatin the #@%$ out of the Crank shaft. I had to cut the pulley off with a die grinder. These motors lived rough lives.

---------- Post added at 05:35:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33:15 PM ----------

Does any one know where I could buy a governor or a governor arm?

---------- Post added at 05:39:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35:49 PM ----------

If I could figure how to get pictures from my cell phone on to here,I would
The Following User Says Thank You to oldatlas10 For This Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 01:17:35 AM
Registered

Would anyone know where I mite find an aluminum magneto backing plate for my briggs L1? I think I've gathered the major parts I need accept the backing plate. It uses an F series magneto. It appears several different vintage letter series briggs uses the same points, armature and coil. Hopefully the same plate. Mine is broken. Thanks
Old 09-03-2019, 06:58:37 AM
Registered

Default Re: Briggs L1 Piston

Got a picture of it or what you missing