Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Ge Electrak, E8M drive motor failed

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 1093 times

Old 07-27-2019, 07:37:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,098 Times in 1,933 Posts
Default Ge Electrak, E8M drive motor failed

I went to the Boone show today it was a good show but my junk all screwed up! First, I put way to much oil in my gas for my maytags and they would not run.
Then I went to drive my E8M around and made it about 150 feet.I had to stop so a big noisy truck could go by me and then when I hit the go pedal,sparks flew out of the motor,at the oppisite end of the brushes! What would fail on a motor and make sparks on that end? I guess that is where it was coming from,it didn't really happen long enough to fiqure out much looking thru the little slots for the gear shifter.
I just kinda would like to know if I just need to carry it to a rewind shop or if something coulda just tangled up or what.NOTHING happens now but a clic under the dash. Motor does nothing.It was sounding a bit different before Denton .I had put 3 good batteries in it and it ran good but sounded different.
This time it was just buzzing along till Istopped. Then PHIZTS
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2019, 07:55:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,899 Times in 1,939 Posts
Default Re: Ge Electrak, E8M drive motor failed

I think the first thing would be to pull the motor apart and look for the damage. Then go from there based on what you find.

Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 08:11:51 PM
Subscriber

YEa,that will be soon as in tommorow,i am to tired today,as it is bugging me as to what happened.But I am kinda fishing to find out what I may find!
Old 07-27-2019, 08:38:34 PM
Subscriber

It's hard to say without really knowing where the sparks came from. Might get lucky and it was a connection adjacent to the motor that let loose and not the motor itself. Probably look for that sort of thing before pulling the motor. Might get lucky.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 10:08:04 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,442 Times in 934 Posts

A good alternator/starter shop should be able to rewind it. The place I go always has some kinda odd winch motor or wiper motor or whatever on the bench.
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 07-28-2019, 05:15:34 PM
Subscriber

Well a magnet came loose and jammed the motor. I had to cut the pulley off to get the motor out.I was hoping it was just a bad bearing and the sparks were from the brushes. Wrong.
Brushes are nice, bearings are not even bad,although I would replace them if I am able to find out how to deal with this magnet problem. May not even be a solution other than motor replacement.I have another E8M in the gathering but it is in far worse shape than this machine and I am not sure the motor would not do the same thing.I may have to get it drug out and get started getting the motor out of it.I would rather just repair or replace the bad parts on this machine and not have 1 without parts.

Edit,I just found a used motor on Ebay.May be the best way out for the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00003.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	340213  

Last edited by uglyblue66; 07-28-2019 at 05:48:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:52:57 PM
Subscriber

Oh! A permanent magnet motor. I wasn't expecting that. When was this built? The photo is dark, was the magnet destroyed in the incident?

Edit, closer look, yep. Chewed to bits. You can't just put the pieces together as it is now lots of small magnets. I'd imagine that finding a replacement would be unlikely.

Need to find a way to better secure the magnets in the new motor...

Keith
Old 07-28-2019, 11:01:59 PM
Subscriber

I made a offer on a motor on ebay and hope it works out.
I will make a call to a place in Charlotte monday about it but I think I will run into a wall.
This was built in about 1968 to 74 I think.
Never found a serial number list to get a exact date.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:16:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,731 Times in 979 Posts

magnet glued in the case? i have had the glue turn loose on small air cooled starters, if it hadnt chewed up the magnet i have used high temp silicone to glue the magnet back into the case with good results! measure the inside of the housing to determine the ID then measure the length of the magnet, i have a few junk dc motors if i have a magnet that will work its yours for shipping.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:27:48 PM
Subscriber

This magnet is in a zillion peices and flakes! THanks for the offer and I will measure and see what size it is,There is 2 different sizes in there.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:35:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,731 Times in 979 Posts

maybe you can measure the length from markings left inside the case? diameter will mean the most as far as fit, length needs to be as close as possible to the orignal but i dont think it is as critical. I had the same thing happen to my fuel transfer pump that i put diesel into my equipmet with from my pickup. several hunderd $ to replace and not that old. JUNK I TELL YA!
Old 07-29-2019, 01:09:39 PM
Subscriber

Well I called Armature winding in Charlotte,they directed me to Manville I think it is,anyhow,if I had a model number on the motor they said they may could help as far as a good magnet and so forth but I checked the motor from end to end and cant find a number or tag.I am going to check the spare in the "collection" and see if i can find a tag on it.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:48:45 PM

I wish I would have known something was wrong. I would have tried to help you out. We had plenty of fuel and cleaners we could have helped with the Maytags, but I know nothing about the GE tractors.

Where were you set up at?
SmokStak Member #28
Old 07-29-2019, 02:06:39 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
I wish I would have known something was wrong. I would have tried to help you out. We had plenty of fuel and cleaners we could have helped with the Maytags, but I know nothing about the GE tractors.

Where were you set up at?
Oh the maytags will just be a drain and refuel, no biggie,I put 2 ounces of oil to 16 of gas ,way to rich. I was beside that man killer wood spliter! Traveled light. Looking at trying to get a room for a friday night so I can hang longer than a day.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:39:21 PM

Next years show dates should be 7/23-7/25.

We were set up across from the 8 HP Hercules and grist mill. We had all the Briggs and a few garden tractors.
SmokStak Member #28
Old 07-29-2019, 04:14:47 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,942 Posts

So it sounded different, but still ran and transported you while grinding up 1 magnet until it jammed up. That indicates maybe it can run with only 1 magnet. That being the case, you may be able to stick any old magnet in there and have it work good enough to carry you. I would use Devcon plastic steel or hi temp JB weld. Just make sure you get polarity right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 09:09:34 PM
Subscriber

It pays to hang out with people with more brains than you have of your own and that don't panic when #*#& hits the fan.
I cleaned out all the crud from the bad magnet, put the motor back together and it runs!.I don't know it's strength and I am still going to get the replacement motor off ebay because they are not easy to find and this old motor will give me a play toy for other adventures I have in mind!
I was able to get the deck under it enough to try the deck motors,1 runs and 1 don't. The other deck both motors are tight as in bottom bearings bad.I will be taking those apart and repairing at least 2 of my deck motors so I can have a good deck under this machine. I have had to many people, especialy at the cruise in, that ask,"what is it? a lawnmower"? I guess it resembles a submarine or something ? So maby with a deck under it,people's minds will wrap around what it is quicker!
Old 07-31-2019, 08:49:10 PM
Subscriber

I have wanted a deck under this thing for a long time. I now have it. I took my 2 E8M decks and made 1 for the moment.
I put new bearings in the motors,had to free up brushes and clean stuff up.Magnet came loose in 1 housing ,had to use another 1. But once I got the deck under the machine,got some wireing issues figured out, it sounds like a fan under there,just a whirrrr. Less than 20 bucks in 4 bearings and it took a while to do the job because I had to figure out every step to get the motors apart and back together. Just crossing my fingers it works out to get the ebay drive motor . I know it seems strange I put the deck under it and it not pulling it's self at the moment but it is tieing up shop space and I don't have anything pushing so I went ahead and did the work. I WILL be using this thing to mow at least my front yard,it is just so neat to mow with a electric.quite, and a electric deck seems to give a better cut. Don't know why.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 08-02-2019, 08:47:11 AM
Subscriber

Me won the drive motor! So now it is a matter of waiting on that brown truck to bring it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 09:38:04 PM
Subscriber

Well the motor came this evening.Box looked like it was dropped from a C130 without a parachute.Very little packing around the motor but there was some. Motor was ok but I heard noise as I turned it. I took it apart and found alot of trash that was scratching around the armature as you would spin it.Chances are it would have torn a magnet loose after a while had I run it this way.It is all clean now and I found the outer bearing to be noisey so I have both bearings off it and will replace them.Turns out,the bearings are the same for both deck motors and drive motors. So that means about 10 bucks for bearings and she should run quite as a church mouse.

I also found I need to learn more about this magnet glueing thing. 1 of the deck motors let go a magnet last week during testing after replacing it's bearings.Turns out the deck motors and the drive motors are the same diameter and the magnets are the same! So that means once i get the tractor going and out of the shop I will sit down and wrestle the loose magnet out of the deck motor housing and try to glue it in the drive motor.That way,it is fixed, and free for other adventures. I am kinda wanting to build a electric tractor so this will be it's motor if my repair works out.