Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Nearly New Ariens Mower

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 834 times

Old 06-10-2019, 09:37:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,092 Times in 1,929 Posts
Default Nearly New Ariens Mower

I was asked a couple of weeks ago if I wanted a lawnmower for parts. I had to drive about 15 miles to get it in a fancy subdivision. I said yea, I will take it. It is a 2014 Ariens 21 hp rider with a bagger system and so forth. I was told the engine was blown.

The machine had been used very little. So little there was NO dust under the hood, no dirt on anything, it was clean as if maybe it had mowed twice. Had the factory oil and filter still in it. Gas smelled like it was 20 years old but of course, it wasn't. Blades still have paint on the cutting surface that you would normally grind off the first time you sharpen the blades.

I brought it home and the dam thing started right up, smoked a bit and has run great since.! The family lived in a big, I would say 400,000 dollar house and this thing had 2 flat tires and the steering wheel broke off in my hand because they had moved it out of the garage pushing and pulling on it I guess. Anyway, I did a full service on it, new steering wheel and so forth and I mowed with it last week.

The only fault it has shown me is if I am going downhill and make a sharp turn to back up the hill, it will puff out some smoke and clear up. Very briefly. I thought maybe overfilled? Nope. If it was a blown head gasket, I would not think the angle of the engine would change anything.

I am not sure I want to keep this thing. Believe it or not, it has a PLASTIC transmission housing! From what I saw on Taryelfixesall on Youtube, John Deere uses this trans also on their cheaper machines. NON-serviceable.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2019, 10:42:51 AM
Registered

Default Re: Nearly New Ariens Mower

perhaps a pcv valve issue
Old 06-10-2019, 01:21:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 636 Posts

The last shop I worked in we sold Ariens snow blowers and unless you got a commercial high end model they were garbage. Had so many out of the box that had leaking auger gear box seals we had to warranty. The clutches in the drive sucked and would break. I've also worked on their riders and lawn mowers and can say the brand is box store junk these days now and a brand to avoid, like anything MTD based. Toro seems to be hit and miss on their entry level mowers esp ones with a Chinese Kohler POS engine.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:49:20 PM
Subscriber

Yea this thing is glitsy but when i saw that plastic trans i about choked.
I think I will go over it and then check with a couple folks I know that are mowing with total junk that I have glued together and wired back together to the point they need something a bit better and sell it to them at a fair price. I mow a couple yards for extra money and I do have a zero turn but of all things I mostly use Mtds that are from the mid to late 90's. I have spare parts a plenty and belts are cheap and engines can be swapped easy.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:48:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,171 Posts

My mom, when she was alive, had an Airens RM830 It was their knock off of a rear engine Snapper. It was a damn good mower, simple, trouble free and lasted. My son got it till he got a better one, he have it to his father in law who is still using it.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:20:17 PM
Registered

Greetings All, For the record, the correct term for plastic in todays world is Composite Material. Now if you look in Websters, Composite=Cheap Shit. Many are aware MTD makes most of todays walk behind mowers and re-badge them to whatever brand. All which have a lot of Composite Material. (Cheap Shit) My solution is instead of buying a Composite Mower, invest in livestock to crop the grass. In the end game you will have meat on the table and genuine shit to fertilize the lawn! Enuf Said
Old 06-10-2019, 08:26:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mosley View Post
Greetings All, For the record, the correct term for plastic in todays world is Composite Material. Now if you look in Websters, Composite=Cheap Shit. Many are aware MTD makes most of todays walk behind mowers and re-badge them to whatever brand. All which have a lot of Composite Material. (Cheap Shit) My solution is instead of buying a Composite Mower, invest in livestock to crop the grass. In the end game you will have meat on the table and genuine shit to fertilize the lawn! Enuf Said
Honda makes a composite deck out of Xenoy plastic. Its far from cheap and is very durable. Many years ago at a Honda dealer I worked at the local rep dropped off a bare plastic mower deck and told us to try and break it before he came back. You could see all the white spots on it where people hit it with a hammer. Short of running it over with the fork lift or delivery truck was the only way we could have broke that thing.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:09:26 PM
Subscriber

Kinda snazzy looking if you don't see the plastic transmission!
If I keep it though,it will have to have some hubcaps, as I can't handle those BLACK wheels. Why would they do that? It has black tires,give it white or something
It smoked for me a bit when I got it out of the shed.I think I will give it a head gasket for starters and see if that fixes it.
Amazing how the camera stopped the engine! It was idleing when I snapped this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00115 (Medium).JPG
Views:	78
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	337021   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00119 (Medium).JPG
Views:	84
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	337022  
Old 06-12-2019, 08:12:39 PM
Subscriber

[QUOTE=Motormowers;1580849]Honda makes a composite deck out of Xenoy plastic.
Goes to prove most manufactors could do better if they just would!
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 09:00:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,898 Times in 1,938 Posts

The Crown buses I used to drive had gloss black wheels, and I quite liked it. But then again the trim was also black, so it all looked good together...

Keith
Old 06-14-2019, 05:48:48 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Nearly New Ariens Mower

The sell cars/trucks with all the chrome blacked out and even charge extra for it that way.

Al
Old 07-09-2019, 08:41:36 PM
Subscriber

Well I ordered parts before I left for Denton and they came in while I was gone.So I got this mower apart this evening and I have never saw a head gasket blown so bad.1/4 inch gap!So At least I troubleshooted this 1 right! For a while I thought I was loosing my touch on some of the junk I have been working on.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:23:31 PM
Subscriber

here is a pic of what I found.Machine has been running great.
The gasket is backwards so you can see both the mark on the block and the area of gasket damaged.You would think by now Kohler and briggs would cast a bolt hole in that area and apply some torque to it so the gasket would not blow.This appears to be designed to fail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00144 (Small).JPG
Views:	38
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	339269  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:33:31 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Barrett View Post
My mom, when she was alive, had an Airens RM830 It was their knock off of a rear engine Snapper. It was a damn good mower, simple, trouble free and lasted. My son got it till he got a better one, he have it to his father in law who is still using it.
I had one of those for years. It was a workhorse !
Old 08-29-2019, 09:52:10 AM
Subscriber

Well this thing got adopted monday afternoon.Yeilded winter project funds!
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post: