Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Week old Stihl BR700X leaf blower failure

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 366 times

Old 08-02-2019, 10:25:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 636 Posts
Default Week old Stihl BR700X leaf blower failure

I was gifted with a week old seized Stihl BR700X back pack blower. One of the guys workers straight gassed it. I still cant believe how people can use a certain type of machine daily and forget what kind of fuel to use. Even when cans are marked. I tore it down and the piston is beat as it the wrist pin bearing. The cylinder only has some aluminum transfer in a tiny spot I'll remove. Tomorrow I'll order a new piston assy and bearing. The crank seals should still be perfect and I always keep a few tubes of Dirko sealant around to assemble the block. I'm hoping come leaf season this should bring $350.00. I cant fault people for their negligence. I make too much money off it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BR700X.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	340659  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2019, 01:08:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts
Default Re: Week old Stihl BR700X leaf blower failure

How close is it to a BR600? The engine in your picture looks mighty similar.
I have a crank / rod / piston assy from one. Hacksaw owner cut the threaded end of the crank off when he couldn't get the blower wheel off. Crank is trash, but rod and piston are useable. Would have to figure out how to get them off the crank, since it is all pressed together.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 08-03-2019, 01:18:21 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 636 Posts

Should be the same one. Ive already ordered the piston assy and pin bearing and the total with my discount came to $43.58 with tax so its not bad. I have 6 spare BR600 blocks that had wrist pins seize up from not running the Ultra oil and I was hoping at least one would have a good enough piston to use but they were all too scored and this is too new to cut corners in case I sell it to a regular customer. I just sold a BR600 a customer gave me that broke all four engine mounts but ran great. Never seen that happen. I used his internals in a spare block I had and put it back together and it had zero vibration issues. I could have used those parts on this but oh well lol. I do have usable cranks if you need them though. Thanks for the offer.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:41:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,399 Times in 2,716 Posts

I also was given a Stihl blower that had no compression and was pronounced dead by a dealer. No warranty as it was run on crap fuel. This thing looked like it just came out of the box. Not a spec of dirt on it.

The owner ran old premix with ethanol and it stuck the ring. I opened it up and soaked the piston in the ultrasonic then gently pried the ring out. There was some light seizing marks on the piston that I sanded off. There was the slightest scuff on the chrome bore but I'm running it. I ground the limiter caps off the carb needles and it's been running perfectly for two years on 40:1 Klotz.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post: