Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs model F input needed...

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 360 times

Old 09-14-2019, 06:55:22 PM
Subscriber

Default Briggs model F input needed...

I've been working on a Briggs model "F" engine for a fellow collector. This engine for many years served as an air compressor before the current owner acquired it. Converting it back to its intended use. New rings, gaskets, intake valve. Battery and coil ignition; had to fabricate the sweep arm for the contact under the flywheel.

It has great spark, good compression, valve timing is correct (multiple checks for verification), check ball in carb working, but I cannot get this thing to even "pop". Valve guides OK...Plug remains dry regardless, however. I've checked for intake pipe leakage, which is common, but it's a snug fit on both ends. Anyone else have any suggestions? Frustrating to say the least. and I really want to get this engine running!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2019, 07:59:53 PM
Registered

Default Re: Briggs model F input needed...

Have you dumped a little gas down the spark plug hole yet to see if it will take off ?
Old 09-14-2019, 11:52:30 PM
Registered

starter fluid and if fires go thru the carb......
Old 09-15-2019, 06:55:20 AM
Subscriber

Hi Tom You said You replaced the rings , how is the compression? Had this problem with a 7 HP Economy engine drove me nuts I saw a posting that the ring groves can wear to the point it won`t run The compression felt OK to me I found a used piston and it started and ran well after that Good luck Chuck
Old 09-15-2019, 09:46:36 AM
Subscriber

How's your ignition timing? If everything is all right it should at least pop off with a little shot of starter fluid.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:40:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,079 Times in 411 Posts
Wink Re: Briggs model F input needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schaech View Post
I've been working on a Briggs model "F" engine for a fellow collector. This engine for many years served as an air compressor before the current owner acquired it. Converting it back to its intended use. New rings, gaskets, intake valve. Battery and coil ignition; had to fabricate the sweep arm for the contact under the flywheel.

It has great spark, good compression, valve timing is correct (multiple checks for verification), check ball in carb working, but I cannot get this thing to even "pop". Valve guides OK...Plug remains dry regardless, however. I've checked for intake pipe leakage, which is common, but it's a snug fit on both ends. Anyone else have any suggestions? Frustrating to say the least. and I really want to get this engine running!!!
A friend had an FH with the same problem you are experiencing. Turned out the intake and exhaust springs were the same value, therefore, no real fuel air mixture getting to the cylinder. Added weaker intake spring and engine started right up. I see you replaced the intake valve so I offered this suggestion. Sometimes the solution is so simple we neglect to even consider it. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:03:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanks so much to everyone for your input!! I’m convinced that I have an intake valve spring that’s too stiff. Going to play with it tomorrow night. Will advise!!