Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

Onan Advice - Read this before you post.

this thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 5375 times

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 06:07:01 PM

Thanked 16,730 Times in 7,762 Posts
Default Onan Advice - Read this before you post.

If you come to this site looking for help you will get help. Do not however tell the person trying to help you that he does not know what he is talking about. I have over thirty years on gensets and glad to help anyone I can. But I will not help anyone that tells me I do not know what Iam doing. This part of the site was started because the people in charge ask me to help out. Glad to help. I do not care where you buy your parts but if I tell you to buy a certian part buy it. Some parts may look the same but they are not. I told this person to buy a part from onan because if you get the wrong one at a parts house you will burn out the system. Sorry to go on about it, but Iam getting older and grumpy and hate it when I am told that I do not know what I am talking about. Now for another BEER.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2005, 06:59:44 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts
Default Re: Advice

You've earned the right to tell it how it is Billy. Go get em!

I think we all do the best we can as we see it. Giving advice long distance isn't easy to get right and when someone knows from experience like you and DennyB, Gunny, and others, folks should listen and realize the value they received for free.

On the other hand, I may be wrong with my assessment of the situation presented in a posted question and it is always the responsibility of the poster to evaluate the advice and see if it fits the problem and take responsibility when they act on or ignore that advice.

This is a great forum and there would be a lot of dead end threads if it weren't for the regulars who make it all work for everyone. I know I learn a lot reading it all.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:01:15 PM
Dwight Mossman

Thumbs up Re: Advice

I, for one, am extremely greatful for the dedication and advice that you fellows bring to this forum. I would be lost without it. And, please, have another beer on me.

Thank you,
Dwight
Old 10-12-2005, 08:26:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

I have come to this board several times with questions and am also grateful for the answers and advice I have received. If I ask further / follow-up questions, it is not to challenge the person providing information, but simply to clarify what I may not have understood the first time around.
What I find the most irritating are the posts where a person will say they have a generator and don't know exactly who made it, won't know a model number, don't give any information that might be on an ID tag, can't even accurately say for sure what the problem is, and then want a detailed explaination on how to fix it. From there it probably gets back to Billy's original issue of not following explicit instructions and trying to get by on the cheap or make do with something unsuitable.
So for the assistance & knowledge I have received here - A big THANK YOU! to anyone who has provided it.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 10-12-2005, 08:35:08 PM

John Everyone should ask all the questions that they need to.This is the only way you will learn.Glad to help any way I can no matter how many questions are asked.Never turned any one down.But when asked for advice and then be told I do not know what Iam doing is what got this old man grumpy.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:03:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,713 Times in 845 Posts

Billy, Do I assume correctly that you also possess knowledge of portable welders? I have one that's not working, and sure could use some help there. I'll get back to you later on.
Thanks for helping
~M~
Old 10-12-2005, 09:06:30 PM
chuckster61

You know Billy I should have read a little more after I bought this new genset at the auction. YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY right about burning up the control board. Been there done that last weekend. Got a starter sol. from a local supplier here in central Florida, and now POOF there goes the majic smoke!!! You know it really is a bitch to get that smoke back inside, or really just a ton more money.

Getem Billy!!!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:11:51 PM
Registered

As always Billy we are in agreement on this business. I've got 40 years in it now and our Cummins/Onan back grounds working for them are quite similar. So I getting old grumpy and just tired of it all. I've always tried to help others and have taught many along the way. I always thought it was the proper thing to do. I had a lot of help along the way when I started.....I remember....I sure don't claim to know it all but over time I have certainly seen a lot just like you have too. But on we go tomorrow. I think its time now for another BEER. Here's to ya Billy!!!! Denny

Last edited by Denny B; 10-13-2005 at 03:48:10 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:49:50 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Advice

All,

I would also like to add my thanks here to those on this site who so regularly assist others. I have managed to bring an old DJE back to life (sort of) instead of seeing it go to the scrap yard, as was soon to be it's fate. While my project is not yet complete, it would never have gotten to the point it is at without the kind folks on this forum. There is no substitution for the experience that is shared on this forum, and best of all it's free!

On another note, can someone provide a brief explanation of what exactly happens when a Ford type solenoid is used instead of an Onan solenoid, in the starting circuit? Will it damage the regulator, or something else in the controls?

Thanks again everyone!

Jonathan
Old 10-13-2005, 05:53:13 PM

Jonathan If you get the wrong one.You get to see alot of wires burning and lots of smoke.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:39:43 PM
Registered

Billy,

Would that be smoke from the solenoid, the starter, or the regulator?

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old 10-13-2005, 08:05:08 PM

from the whole system
Old 10-13-2005, 08:34:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,074 Posts
Exclamation Re: Advice

Jonathan:
The wiring harness goes up in a big cloud of smoke. Anything in the circuit goes right along with it.

Billy is right! Don't use the wrong solenoid or you will really be real sorry to see your machine self destruct.

This is on the order of don't drink white liquor and drive, don't try to clean a loaded fire arm, don't roller skate on a freeway at night, don't play Russion Roulette. Get the idea?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:34:30 AM
NAMPeters

I am with Jonathan and curious as to what the failure mode is? It sounds like a short type of failure is involved. On the wrong solenoid is it overworked and the points weld? Don't doubt the wisdom here but there must be a basic failure mode involved. Just wanting to learn.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:05:56 AM

NAMpeters The wiring inside the solenoid is not the same on all solenoids. So if installed in the wrong system they short out. Also with the unit running you have high dc voltage being returned to the post which can backfeed your system. Always ask questions that is the only way to learn. Anyone on this site will be glad to help you if they can.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:26:21 PM
Registered

I am in need of a water pump for an old Kohler L654. I was told they no longer make them or the repair kit. Any ideas?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:34:57 PM

Default Re: Advice - Read this before you post.

You will get better help on the Kohler site. But you should look up Hemmings Classic Car Magazine. There are some shops that rebuild water pumps for classic cars.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:50:57 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,603 Times in 1,674 Posts

Go Get em BIlly you da man. one can not argue with experince. thank you for all that you help us young onan fellows with. i am not young but my time with my onans is lol about 9 months. thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 10:13:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,348 Times in 5,225 Posts

Having a person as experienced as Billy is very valuable, he's learned all the tricks of the trade, problem areas, and more important the solutions. It's not everyday you run across someone like him. With the good natured will to like to help people. My hat is off to you Billy. Now go get a Beer, you deserve it.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:33:40 PM
Registered

Billy you have my full sympathy and agreement on the subject!! I may ask more questions but ain't gonna tell someone good enough to help me that they know not of which they speak!! Have had it done to me and it IS annoying to say the least. Now I don't always agree but generally keep it to myself if possible.

Folks on this board have been most helpful in the past and I try to be helpful to others when I can.

I know of several variations on starter solenoids, such as voltage; 6, 12, 24 volts and intermittent vs continuous duty.

First one has each end of the COIL brought out to two small studs on side of the can.

Another has one end of the coil grounded to the mount and other end brought out to a small stud on side. 2nd small stud on side of can gets interesting - it connects to BATT terminal when solenoid is energized with some interesting results in circuits not designed for that!!!!

I have seen some other variants too - one has one end of coil connected to BATT terminal and you ground the little stud to make thinks happen. Don't remember what other small stud does on that one or if it even exists.

In any event, that is why GOD gave us ohm meters, the ability to disassemble old parts, wiring diagrams, parts books and wise old folks to give provide advice!! Failure to use the foregoing resources can be VERY expensive!!!

Hang in there Billy, some folks are just difficult and inconsiderate!!! As I have stated here before, just try to buy them for what they know and sell them for what they THINK they know - you can retire on the profit!!
Closed Thread