Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

How to preserve old engine paint?

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 4533 times

Old 01-31-2006, 09:11:53 PM
Registered

Default How to preserve old engine paint?

I am getting a really nice LA that has most of the original paint and decals. I was wondering how best to protect the paint and decals, and prevent future rust. Should I spray it with dulcoat, or glosscoat clear? Thanks for any ideas. KW
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2006, 10:12:15 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: How to preserve old engine paint??

I like boiled linseed oil. Some folks say to thin it, but I have just brushed on a thin coat straight from the can. Do not let it puddle, or it will get thick and gummy. Make sure it is BOILED, or it will not dry. The early paint was linseed oil base. I don't know when they started using synthetics.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:13:58 PM
Registered

perhaps an experiment is in order , a lot of guys will tell you to clean up with gojo and wipe it down with a mixture of half kerosene and half boiled linseed oil . Im one of them . Chuck
Old 01-31-2006, 10:40:13 PM
Subscriber

Use 50% boiled linseed oil and 50% mineral spirts. Try it on the inside of the rails or on bottom of engine. Also search archives here on Smokstak.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:16:10 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,335 Times in 906 Posts

I would use something like simple green to clean.Depenending how dirty it is you may want to use other products and work your way to the simple green? Just make sure what ever you use is paint freindly! Then after getting it as clean as you can use the boiled linseed oil. I like the 50-50 mix even then it can be slow to dry but looks good when done.I also recommend the archives.BobRR
Old 02-01-2006, 12:24:22 AM
Subscriber

I have used the linseed oil treatment in the past and have found it difficult to remove and was not fond of the shiney finish it left when dry. I only use ATF on my engines now because I believe it make a more natural looking engine and gives the engine adequate protection. Just wipe the old cast iron down with an oily rag!---just my opinion. John
Old 02-01-2006, 02:43:54 AM
Registered

The original engine manuals just said to keep the paint clean and wipe with an oily rag. Not a lot of oil in the rag either.
Also, try to minimize exposure to direct sunlight.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:49:20 PM
Subscriber

How about a little semi-gloss polyurethane? Impervious, will stay put. Will not have to be replenished after metal sweats in spring. My 2 cents....
Old 02-01-2006, 02:56:28 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,335 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWegher
The original engine manuals just said to keep the paint clean and wipe with an oily rag. Not a lot of oil in the rag either.
Also, try to minimize exposure to direct sunlight.
I bet they ment wipe with rag and when you got done ya had a oily rag BobRR
Old 02-01-2006, 06:58:22 PM
Subscriber

I agree with John Merry about the linseed oil. It looks to shiney.What you have got is a nice old engine with origional paint that is far shiner then it ever was when it was new. might as well paint it with shiney new paint. ATF works well and also cleans. there are detergents in it and it works well for removing tar. I usually use WD-40 to clean my engines,it works well and thats probally all it's good for.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:28:09 PM
In Memory Of

I have a 3 horse rock island (Alamo) that had great original paint. I cleaned it w/ a little water and some old, soft tooth brushes, let it dry, and then just sprayed krylon acrylic clear coat on it. The old paint really sucked it up, gave the paint some body, and I think it looks pretty sharp.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:34:24 AM
Subscriber

Would like to clarify my position on using oil only. ATF,WD-40, ect. can be removed easily with kerosene. The linseed mixtures ,clearcoats,polyethelene ect. cannot be removed easily and some will only come off by taking the original paint with it! Just be carefull what you put on so that if you are not satisfied with it later you can go back without hurting the original finish. Less can be more when it comes to preserving old iron. Hope this helps someone--thanks,John
Old 02-02-2006, 12:33:39 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,074 Times in 493 Posts

Less is better, my opinion exactly. I have used both LPS 2 and LSP 3 or nothin. The LPS 2,3 are "rust inhibitors" . A rust inhibitor does just what you want. protects the bare iron, does not harm the origional paint. Does not seep under the paint and lift it off. A good safe choice and it looks reasonable. The LPS 3 is a little on the heavy side, but can use a rag for a thin coat. LPS 2 is lighter needs to be renewed more often. Either is good if you engine is out in an over night rain. LPS 3 is actually rated for out door protection even against salt water. You can get a real heavy waxy coating witrh LPS 3 thats really too much. With a rag can be just right. Try these, you will be satisified with either. If I had to buy just one, I'd go with LPS 2. For old iron outside under a tap LPS 3 really does the trick.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:26:19 PM
Registered

Just my opinion, but a coat of semi or flat acrylic holds up pretty well and doesn't ruin the original look. It brings out the original color and decals and I can't see how it will hurt the value any. I have a couple that were linseeded and I don't think it hurts, but looks pretty unatural if you want it to look original.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:59:34 AM
Registered

I am working on a Tom Thumb engine now and am trying different things to see what I like and so far I go for clear coat.It is not to shiney and dries hard as a rock in about 30 minutes but to each his on.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:22:45 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts
Exclamation Re: How to preserve old engine paint??

If the decals aren't getting loose, I'd just wipe the engine down with an oily rag. That's what they did in the old days. Don't use solvents unless you want to go over the engine again with the oily rag.

That said, I also use LPS-3 (liquid) on nuts, bolts and small non-painted parts before assembling. It lasts for a while and, if you get too much on, all you gotta do is go over the area with a little mineral spirits.

With LPS-3, I got it in a gallon can. Probably a lifetime supply. I "decant" a little into a seal-top jar to keep from contaminating the main can. It will get thicker after a while due to the solvent in it evaporating. I just add a little mineral spirits when it gets too thick.

Mainly what you want to do is keep rust at bay. Oil or LPS will do the trick and will preserve the original look of your engine.

Works for me!

Take care - Elden
http://home.cybertron.com/~edurand
Old 02-03-2006, 10:31:01 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the idaes. I have used LPS-3 for many aplications, as I work in aviation I have a unlimited suply of spray cans of the stuff, LPS-1, 2, and 3. But I do not like how dirt sticks to it. It is great to spray in car doors to keep the rust deamons out of the botom lip thow! Thanks to all!