Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Large engine

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1934 times

Old 06-06-2001, 07:52:18 PM
larry

Default Large engine

There is a large fairbanks comeing up for sale,it is 75hp 6ton flywheel. Whats it worth and would it need to be disasembled to move?The building will have to be torn open then replaced.Would it be possible to make it portable to display,or would it have to be mounted on concrete.It was test run a few years ago, but it has been 10 years since i saw it.Its less than 6 miles from my house.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2001, 03:48:14 AM
Dan

Default Re: Large engine

I would think that a solid base will be best for something that large,a big job but it can be done
Old 06-07-2001, 04:45:00 AM
Steve Cox

Larry, You might be able to get some information from Fairbanks on this engine. They gave me alot of info on an early 3 cylinder I was looking at. They have an archive department but you'll need the model number and the serial number would be helpful to them as well. Here is one e-mail address - partsmkt@fairbanksmorse.com - this department can probably get you in contact with the right person. Good Luck.
Old 06-07-2001, 11:59:45 AM
Corey Wey

There is a gentelman at one of the local shows that has some large engine's and he had a special transporttrailer made for it and has a transport pull it to the shows. Another option good luck Corey
Old 06-07-2001, 12:15:15 PM
larry

The engine is single cylinder, i think a z or zz.Air start diesel,verticle.It ran an old feed mill built in 1860's.The engine was added in 20's.They plan on auctioning the property the 8 and then the engine and all the rest of the stuff the 9th.that way whoever buys the mill can have a chance at the engine.
Old 06-08-2001, 07:17:15 PM
larry

Well they anounced before the sale that if the engine did not bring 10000, it would be added to the sale price of the land and buildings and stay there. Someone bid 500 on it,and no other bids,so it whent with the building.I don't know what the young couple who got it will do.It's possible it will be for sale again.
Old 06-08-2001, 08:22:48 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,205 Times in 2,492 Posts

I suspect this engine is similar to what is being discussed here. If not, let me know.

http://www.old-engine.com/pinellas.htm
Old 06-08-2001, 08:58:09 PM
larry

Yes it looks much like that, but as the story told by oldtimers goes, this engine had a double or triple size flywheel added after the original broke. I have to add i have never been so flooded with emails. All wanting to know where it's being sold. I did not want others to run the price up if i was going to bid. Can't blame me can you.
Old 06-17-2001, 06:02:10 PM
robert hensarling

I'm a little late with this email I guess, but here's what can be done with a large engine. This was a 45,000 lb 4 cylinder FM 32 E diesel, that I put on skids and took to the Stonewall, Texas show for several years. As fun as it was to own this engine, I sold it and now limit my sizes to stuff I can handle with my 6,000 lb. forklift )

photos of engines
Old 06-17-2001, 09:14:28 PM
larry

WOW thats heaver than my truck loaded.I hear people are going back to the new owners of the mill and offering them 6000 for the engine.I have the news paper photos but can't post them.
Old 06-19-2001, 03:02:08 AM
Russ Hughes

OH! WOW! Thats a real great looking engine! How did you start it? Compressed air maybe? What was the fuel? What did it originally run if you know. Heck, that engine looks like it deserves a good story all in itself.
Old 06-19-2001, 04:02:21 PM
D. Smith

We have a 75 hp. Fairbanks modle Y oil engine on the Fredericksburg Antique Tractor and Gas Engine Club inc. show grounds in Stonewall Texas and we are going to run her this weekend! Biggist engine show in Texas! Ya'll come! [Friday Sat. Sunday.] D. Smith