Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

sealing a cork float

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 3786 times

Old 07-22-2001, 03:19:04 PM
Kelly

Default sealing a cork float

I realize that there was a great number of options revealed a few months back on how to seal a cork float. I am getting close to trying to start my 7HP engine for the first time and need to seal my float. What would be a good way to go so I wouldn't have to worry about needing to do it again?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2001, 07:37:20 PM
Bill Sherlock

Default Re: sealing a cork float

I threaded a fine wire through one of the screw holes in the float and then lowered it into a can of shellac until completely covered. I then hung it up to dry. I dipped the float three times to increase the thickness of the shellac coating, letting it dry completely between coats.
Old 07-22-2001, 07:50:30 PM
ted utess

When your significent other isn't looking get her nail polish and give the float several coats of it, let it dry between coating, it not only works but looks NEAT!!! Another material is the sloshing liquid sold by suppliers for tank sealing on Harry's web sponsors.---Ted
Old 07-22-2001, 10:54:47 PM
Bill

I am no expert, but my understanding of shellac is that it is alcohol sensative...in other words alcohol will disolve it, or soften it....some gasoline has alcohol added to it...this might soften it up....I would go with the gas tank sealer myself.....just a thought -Bill
Old 07-23-2001, 02:31:22 PM
Wayne Thackery

I use good old PVC glue to coat the cork with. Have yet too have any problems!
Old 07-25-2001, 01:40:05 AM
Kid Dynamo

I asked this question about a year ago. I followed the advise of one person to use a product called Seal-All. It worked great. It was at my local hardware store for less than 2 bucks and I have enough left to do 10 more floats. It came in a mini toothpaste-type tube and listed dozens of uses, amongst which was sealing carburetor floats! How 'bout that!