Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Past Steam-era Members (Milton Ontario Canada Show)

this thread has 68 replies and has been viewed 9668 times

Old 01-07-2007, 10:39:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,974 Times in 2,455 Posts
Default Past Steam-era Members (Milton Ontario Canada Show)

I would like to start a thread about some of the steam -era members that have passed or some of the older existing members does and fellow steam era members or other peolpe out their
have storys old show pics i would like to know were some of the equiptment that these people brought to the eg elbert fifes 25 -40 rumely i understand he had a 50 as well and people like hector kyle just to name a few i being a member have heard some storys but i am shure some of you out their have pics and storys to share from steam -era. john
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2007, 07:06:48 AM
Registered

Location: 1851 6th. Conc. North, R. R. Stayner, Ontario Canada, L0M 1S0
Default Re: past steam - era members(milton ont canada show)

A few that come to mind at the moment, would be Jack Layman, Jack Arthur, Freddie Ruddle, Capt. Leonard, Bob Clarke, all of these have saddly left us. No stories here, just very fond memories.

Robert
Old 01-08-2007, 07:08:28 AM
Registered

I knew I would forget some and just remembered Hughie Clark, many hours were spent in the Golden Slipper playing music with Hugh and the rest of the gang.

Robert
Old 01-08-2007, 09:15:18 AM
Subscriber

Thanks robert all those names sound familiar especilly bob clarke he was true rumely man he knew his stuff and iam glad to have know him thanks again robert.
john
Old 01-08-2007, 09:23:13 AM
Subscriber

sadly those days of the show are past now i unfortunaly wasent their at those show but it was a differnt time at steam -era you cold go and see a movie the has changed now with a differnt crowd but some of the same faces are still around sherwood being one of the only original members and second being ross he has been to every show exept 61 -62 also robert i dont
know if you are on ebay alot but their are 2 iteams for sale of the club one is a post letter and the other is belt fob under search put the clubs full name and they will come up thanks again robert. john
Old 01-08-2007, 01:24:47 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,629 Times in 7,475 Posts

case-r?
Interesting topic?
Here are some memories - Jack Arthur (Sr.) always managed to squirt tobaccy on your boots sometime during a conversation, kinda snarly at times but generally a real good egg. Jack Jr. - also a great guy who left us too young
Alex Edgar - always friendly, one of the pioneers in the old tractor collecting hobby.
Harry Fraser - another of the greats, never said a bad word about anyone but had "selective hearing" sometimes
Wilfred Service - Eagle man to the core, ran a grist mill with a 22-45, little man but big heart.
John (The Bear) Howe - a lot friendlier than he looked!
Allan Byers - another of the pioneers and a great tractor and steam man.
More to come and maybe some pix?
G.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:08:16 PM
Registered

What an excellent topic to bring up. I love to hear the stories about the show's past, some that should be repeated and some that shouldn't. This is a club that is right in my family genes. Dad (Ron McEachern) was one of the founding members of the OSAPA. My Uncle Angus (one of the best steam men) managed to miss the "first" meeting but never missed a show. Infact , this year we rushed home from Mt. Pleasant, Iowa so that my own 42 year record was not broken. I have met my closest friends at this show incuding my best friend Jamie (I married him). As luck has it Jamie and I have looked after the club's archives for the past 8-9 years and I love looking back at the pictures. However, Wayne and Judi Fisher will be taking over this job from us latter this month. Some of the best memories include going out to the Hume farm for the dance/corn roast, and stoppng off at the Lion's booth for french fries before going to the Golden Slipper.

At one time the show only ran Friday, Saturday,and Monday. Dad's crew
would make the 40min drive north to our place on Sunday morning. They would drag a couple of tractors,cars, trucks etc out of the building and break into 2 teams. The race to get the equipement going would be on. A lot of fun was had as well as the odd fire etc. Luckily no one got hurt. This went on for several years and eventually the show included Sunday putting an end to the competions at home.

Sharon
Old 01-08-2007, 06:01:44 PM
Registered

G: How could I forget "Black Jack Howe" . The man liked to eat as well as talk. I also meant to mention Murray McCabe, another fine Rumely man. And who could forget Carl Rowe and E.J. Hayes, darn near got kick out of the 5th. wheel during supper with those two. The next night when we went back for supper, the managment set us in the trucker section, next to two of Milton's finest, did we behave any better,............not likely. The Rainer's also come to mind, and sorry I forgot Al Byers.

Sharon, thinking of the Lion's booth reminded me, it was nerver too early for a burger with grilled onions . As for the Golden Slipper, it had to be the original one, not the later one. I must admit that it out-grew the original, but when it was moved into the trailer, it kinda lots something. Hughie taught me to play the auto-harp. Too bad I have forgotten how.

Given time, I'm sure I will come up with some more. My first show was 63 at the tender age of 8.

Robert
Old 01-08-2007, 06:24:37 PM
Subscriber

sorry sharon i sould have said your dads name as one of the originals sherwood and ross calder came to mind thanks also robert for those names i have head of the 5th wheel storeys you fellows were crazy back then try to do some of those things now i think it safe to say you would be in jain even at the show some of things that went on at the show even other show in those days eg caledonia but that another thread thanks john
Old 01-08-2007, 08:42:15 PM
Sponsor

Where do I start????

I was at the first show in 61 at 4 yrs old and have faint memories of it.
Dad & Sherwood had the only 2 Rumely's that year!!!

"Drove" (read steered with Dad's help) the R Rumely in the dowtown parade in 62 or 63. Mom had taken my brother & I to see the parade and were standing in front of what would become KFC when dad came by with the R pulling his Bell thresher and he waved at me to get on. I can still remember that moment. I steered all the way to the fair grounds. It is something I will never forget.

Dad told me when we were kids that we were usually pretty well behaved but between Xmas & Steam Era we would get so excited and almost outa control.
Mom said she was so glad when could go on our own to the show. We lived 5 minute walk away. Before that she would not take us on Friday and we would drive her nuts as we could here the whistles.

I remember the year they were building or adding on to the Ontario School for the Deaf, Dad had been working there with his Crane. He told them that he would not be working that weekend as he would be at the show. Well I remember us being with him and Mom coming along and saying that they had called and really needed him to go over and work. I can still remember how upset he was, but he relented and jumped in the crane, he always brought it to the show to use if needed.

Lots of names come to mind Stan Gorman, Dan & Jeanie Kidd, Earl Davidson, Bill Shillinglaw, Earl Carpenter (a who book could wrote on this man), Bill Sherk, Bill Bailey, Bern Porter, Spencer Wilson, Alan Crone, Gordon Brigden, Gord Booth, Elmer Downs, Tubby Downs, Duert Downs, Albert Downs and whole lot of them that I can't think of right now.

But 2 are dear to my heart and were very dear friends of my father's and were very good to me.

1st was Bob Randall who had an amazing collection of gas engines. He also had an old Plymouth car late 20s or early 30s which he drove regularily and would tow he engine trailers to the fair grounds with. Bob always said it was a constant battle around the trailer keeping the engines going as usually the first one had quit by the time the last one was going.

2nd was Gord Downs who also had gas engines and a Rumely tractor. I remember one year on a Sunday before we ran on Sunday he was working on his engines cleaning etc. He had one running and someone come and told him to shut that NOISE off. Gordy said was NOT noise, it was his music to work by!!!!

Amen Gordy may you be resting in peace with Dad and the rest of the crew with some music.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:45:49 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,629 Times in 7,475 Posts

case-r
Pat Coombs was another good ol' Eagle guy and always friendly.
Garnet (Bish) Pattenden was more of a steam man but had a lot to do with running the Ag Museum stuff including the 20-40 Sawyer-Massey gas tractor He and Albert Fife also kept the big 30-60 Fairbanks going.
Bill Johnson was one of the best. Also a steam guy but he used to show his Oil Pull, X-mount Case, Waterloo/Minnie, etc.. Bill, Alex Edgar, Jack Sr, Al Byers, Bob Clarke and the like, were all great guys that a young kid, just getting started in the tractor game could count on for plenty of help and inspiration! Man, I miss those guys
G.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:59:03 PM
Sponsor

1973 I had worked all Summer on my 37 BR John Deere and Bill & Peter Watson had brought their George White for the first time which they had done a ton of work on.
One afternoon someone came to dad quite excited that he had to get over on the track by the horse barns with his crane.
Why he asked?
The fly wheel has come off Watson's engine.
I guess Bill had not got the key in tight and it just came off and rolled down the track!!! Amazingly it did not break. Dad picked it up with the crane and they got it put back on and away they went.

Another few names Sam Newell, Sminton Curry, Vic Hall, Gerald Garbutt.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:21:25 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Clarke View Post
Sam Newell.
"Johnny to the Spot"

Robert
Old 01-08-2007, 10:25:35 PM
Subscriber

thanks ross for all the info it is good to hear you on this post i am shure you have alot to share do you still have the jd br i havent heard that story before about the watsons engine i have never seen a fly wheel come of an engine
before i have seen other things happen though good to hear from you ross
thanks john.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:29:01 PM
Subscriber

johnny on the spot they are bringing that to the shows agian it is good to see a part of the shows history .that always brings a smile to my face.john
Old 01-08-2007, 10:34:08 PM
Subscriber

bill watson is another that hasent been mentioned here yet also his brother peter both nice fellows and bruce buckell.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:38:24 PM
Subscriber

Ross how mant downs were involved in the club and were all of them from milton.john
Old 01-08-2007, 10:41:43 PM
Subscriber

Don't forget Old John with his homemade 6 hp Fairbanks Tractor, That machine could do anything.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:10:51 PM
Registered

Mark,

I just told Jamie how I feared John and that tractor. Can just picture it in my mind thump,thump,thump Blast of the air horns. (picture Sharon Jumping sky high at this point).

How many had run ins with our clubs first safety officer Raymond Martin. I can remember taking my "new" JD BO for the first time, very proud 13 year old.
Raymond would catch me everytime. My luck he was a friend of the family and knew how old I was,so I had to wait my three years to drive on my own.
Jamie however, was "16" for several years. Just unfair.

Do you guys remember the pink 1 1/2hp Fairbanks outside the ladies building with the bathtub daisys. I remember the sign..If you can't beat them you might as well join them.

Jim Heslip, Dave Watkins and his Pepsi, Captain John, Don Partrick, Mike Ledwith and his country store, JD Calder... the list goes on

I tried to convince Ross Calder a couple of years ago to right a book of the adventures of Steam-Era. I think we could sell it for a movie or it would make a great soap opera.

I just hope that sometime in the future Jake and Beth can sit back with fond memories of the club as well.

Sharon
Old 01-09-2007, 11:25:08 AM
Sponsor

Caser
I still have the BR. It was my first tractor. I worked my first real job the summer of 72 when I was 15. Rode my new 10 speed 7 miles to work & 7 miles home. Made enough money that summer to by the BR for $120.
Also still have the R Rumely. Both are up here at my place. The old wooden Bell thresher sadly is gone.

Some more names Ernie Batty, George Shultz, Dave Thompson.

ps All of what I have written so far is from memory. If I have written something or a name incorrectly I opologise & please correct me.

Ross