Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

Where do you all buy parts? What about service?

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 3531 times

Old 09-03-2007, 10:00:17 PM
Registered

Default Where do you all buy parts? What about service?

I'm still working on my 2 dead into one working 7.5KW MDJE project. I have realized that I do need some parts though. I'm going to need things like injector heat shields and/or nozzles and washers. I'll probably need one head gasket. I'm thankful that I have working glowplugs and intake heater though.

In other forums that I frequent there are preferred parts sources.

What about service? Things like head work or injector cleaning? I'm tempted to send out some injectors before I install them.

Thanks,
Tad
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2007, 10:31:56 PM
Registered

Default Re: Where do you all buy parts? What about service?

Sounds like a question for Bruce in Alaska or Gunny (in NC, close to you). One of 'em will be by soon to post an answer.

David W.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:35:03 PM
Registered

Onan is now owned by Cummins.
The last time I ordered parts they came from a Cummins dealer in Orlando, Fl.
You should be able to do a Google search for your nearest dealer.
Although, when I ordered my parts I was'nt hooked up with Smokstak at the time.
They have sponsors that carry Onan parts.
Can't hurt to check them out.
JA
Old 09-04-2007, 07:39:34 AM
Registered

I can recommend this Onan dealer for parts-

http://www.apelectricservice.com

Bought a lot from then, very pleased with customer service. Prompt shipment of correct parts.

You actually speak with a courteous, knowledgeable, seasoned Onan person who is happy to answer other questions. I prefer Carl but he is the service manager.

No good answer on service-I do all my own...

I tend to avoid the super-corprate Cummins "network" around here. Called about parts availibility in Atlanta......got re routed to a teenager in Tampa FL who I could not understand....either she spoke too fast for my Southern ears or her english was too much like spanish for my brain to decipher-

Brent
Old 09-04-2007, 07:40:10 AM
Registered

I just last week ordered parts from "generator-parts.com" They listed everything I needed and a few parts that I didn't think they would have. I will not know who good they are until I receive them.
John
Old 09-04-2007, 07:55:12 AM
Registered

I would also like to mention perr.com. I have used them several times for (at least common) Onan parts. They also sell parts for several other makes of small engines.

For those injectors, you probably want to use a specialty house. Do whatever Bruce would do, and you won't go wrong.

Vaughn
Old 09-04-2007, 08:29:09 AM
pcbye

Greetings:

I get parts right from Onan/Cummins N-Power in St. Paul -- Their Corporate Home.

The Actual Factory is in Memphis now days I guess -- or at least the master distribution center is located there.

I have found that I can get the parts cheaper directly here than anywhere else I have tried. Dealers and Distributers both mark up the already high prices, sometimes to extortion levels -- 50-100%.

The folks here have been absolutely great to me. They will do research and give you copies out of the service or parts manauls too.

Contact Mark W. in parts @ 1-800-642-0085
-or-
mark.a.wolsfeld@cummins.com

Mike Q. can research anything for you in their archives.

Parts are open 7am - Midnight. Mark works days and knows me by name. They will ship, or drop ship. There is no charge for ordering anything that will go to the Center here, or I assume to another N-Power on their regular weekly shipment.

I think there is a charge to expedite an oprder and I am sure there is a charge to re-ship or drop ship to your home, although I would be glad to do a pick up and ship via a cheaper method. The Center is six blocks away and I drive by every day.

Mark can also usually tell you where in the country a given part is located also.

Give him my name, they are more than happy to help. Some of the best folks I have dealt with in this day and age.

Best regards;

Peter
Old 09-04-2007, 08:56:47 AM
pcbye

Greetings:

Just some more comments.

I am finding it harder and harder to find machine shops to do work. A lot of the small outfits I used to use are now gone. The old guy I used to use said he could not compete with the outfits that rebuild. They can do 100-200 Ford / Chev heads a day with a couple of guys and one set up. He could do 6 with a set up in between and maybe a crank or a block or two. Individual service is getting tough to find.

The shop manager at Cummins N-Power sent me off to a small independent machine shop they use. He said their labor costs are not competitive on the small stuff anymore. Big commercial, prime power, etc. where it cheaper to rebuild than replace -- that is where the money is.

I finally called the local Harley Dealer. They are the biggest in the Mid West here in the Twin Cities.

The response was, "If it's not under warrenty, we replace it!"

The comment was that the labor rates are so high, it is cheaper to replace a head than send it out for a rebuild and replace the parts, and install. A new head or a complete aftermarket performance head is cheaper by as much as 50%.

They did send me to a small shop that does a lot of small imports. For the 4-strokes and small diesels, I would look for a performance machine shop that does bikes, off road equipment and ATV's, etc. They will take the time to do things right.

For injection equipment, look for a an injection shop. There are a few around and they totally specialize in what they do, most likely have the parts and have the tools and test equipment.

I would think small diesel shops would be in areas where there are a lot of Marine Engines, or Mining / Drilling / Logging. You may find a good shop up on the Iron Range in MN -- Hibbing / Virginia / Chisholm. Lot's of industry up there.

I should have checked up there as that is where my JC is located and I am rebuilding the whole top end. Someone recommended a shop up there last weekend but I did not take note as I already spent a week looking for a place to do valve job here in the Metro area and finally got it done -- $80.00 for two heads.

I figured a Center of Business and Industry with a couple million people here in Minneapolis / St. Paul, I could find somebody could do a valve job? Not really!!!!

Regards;

Peter
Old 09-04-2007, 07:08:30 PM

Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,200 Posts

Onan Parts can be had thru Independant Dealers or Cummins/Onan
Distributers. I use CumminsNW in Vancover, WA when I need specific
parts that aren't Second Sourced by NAPA or the like. xDJx GlowPlugs
and Manifold Heaters can be ordered thru NAPA, as can all the Filters.
Injecters and Injection Pump Service is a real Special Case, and even
most of the Distibuters send that stuff to a Specialty Shop. I use Hatch
& Kirk in Seattle, WA, as they do most of the work for the North Pacific
Fishing Fleet, and have a VERY Knowledgabe Shop Staff, working the
FlowBench. There aren't a lot of Machine Shops around Alaska that
do TopEnd work, so when that stuff comes up, I usally send them to
Seattle, and B & G Machine has done a very good job for me in the
Past. I suspect that they do a big percentage of the Engine Work
for most of the outfits around the Waterfront in Seattle, as I see their
Logo Come up on a lot of vessels that I look at. You get use to doing
business with an Outfit, and if they do GOOD Work, you tend to stay
with them. All the above outfits have proven to be reliable and around
for a lot of years, and that says a lot about what kind of work they turn out.

Bruce in alaska
Old 09-14-2007, 10:40:50 PM
Registered

I just bought a used onan propane powered 12.5JC and it doesn't have a muffler. Where can I find a Muffler. I'm located in Northeast Tennessee.

Willie
Old 09-15-2007, 07:18:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,074 Posts

Ted:
For injectors, gaskets, selas & pump work I use Truck Pro in Charlotte. Service manager of the pump shop is a personal friend from way back. If its fuel related, he can do it or get it done. Glow plugs, relays, seals, gaskets, filters or engine machine work, the local NAPA store is the best by far. Somethings you just got to go to Onan for but they are few and far between. A most excellent Onan dealer is A & P Electric in Columbia, SC. Talk to their service manager, Pinky, he'll do right by you. They do 4 10 hour days so are closed Fridays. (803)791-0910. Tell Pinky that I sent you.

Willie:

NAPA or a muffler shop. If you are handy with a welder, make your own.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:38:59 PM
Registered

Howdy,
Saw your posting and you may want to contact Ernest

Company is Unirex in Florida, Email ernest@dieselpartsusa.com.
I may be parting out a low time running mdje with fresh water cooling as I have a person who thinks he wants the end if you want give me a call next week at 206-284-1848
Regards
Rick
Old 09-29-2007, 03:25:26 PM
Registered

Have a complete 7.5 MDJE that was a low time runner and I took it apart for parts, what do you need?
Rick
206-284-1848