Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Help I need a staker to help me out with a Briggs engine

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 1930 times

Old 10-22-2008, 05:35:09 PM
Registered

Default Help I need a staker to help me out with a Briggs engine

Hey guys i have a big big problem,
Well i goto high school and one of my classes are comming up and i dont have a project. Its a class where you work on power equipment and learn about power energy and transportation hence the name power energy and transportation. Well you guys are my last card. No matter what happened i cant get an briggs engine to restore for my project. I tried ebay, enginads and all my sources to get an engine . What i am looking for is a briggs engine and i dont care if its rare or not. I want it to be a briggs engine between model numbers A-ZZ because i have the books and know how to restore those. I have 9 weeks to do this project and nothing to do. When the engine is done its going to be put in a display case for everyone to look at. I would prefer this engine to be unstuck and complete so i dont waste all the nine weeks. I dont care if its running or not. I would be glad to help out with shipping. And willing to make a deal. THink guys and girls tax time is comming up. Hint HInt
Thanks
E.H.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2008, 01:04:17 PM
Registered

Default Re: Help I need a staker to help me out with a Briggs engine

E.H.-

If you can find an engine locally, you can save shipping. If no one here volunteers an engine, I suggest you become familiar with Craigslist (dot org). I understand it is free to advertise there, and there are local pages from around the country. In Minnesota there are separate pages for Duluth/Superior, Fargo/Moorhead, Mankato, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Rochester and St. Cloud.

I think the best sections to advertise in would be Tools, Farm+Gardening and Wanted. If you word the advertisement correctly (a Briggs engine/lawn mower/generator that might otherwise be junked), you may get it for free.

Fred
Old 10-23-2008, 01:41:26 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,469 Times in 681 Posts

i got a 46 briggs a" i got off ebay awhile back hoping its shroud would work a b" i'm working on. nope it won't. its loose and has ahole in the cast oil pan. don't ask! it looks like it was dropped. i done nothing to it. its in plymouth ma.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:43:33 PM
Registered

i dont spose any one has a lead or a w series briggs engine. I am lookin for one that done have pitting in the cylender or anything too bad like that because my schools shop cant handle that. Lets talk deal pm me if you got anything good. Or willing to let go
Old 10-23-2008, 04:54:18 PM
Registered

What capability does your school shop have?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:43:20 PM
Registered

well between my shop at home and at school they realy basic shops. The shop at school has a paint booth a parts dip. The old automotive tools. And access to air. It used to be the metal shop but it was converted to woods. I do have access to use welders and oxy torch. The welders can do stick mig and tig. At my shop at home i have the wrenches and stuff and my tools for engine work. Between those shops i can do a total rebuild of an engine except if the bearings are bad like in my briggs b in which i had to find a machine shop or someone who can do it do it. So if the bearings are bad then i could have a problem with that because i dont have a machine shop that can do stuff for me cheaply like make new bearings. Ream jobs. Or honing (in which i do my self) or resleeving. I dont have the money to do machine shop jobs all the time if the bill gets expensive. That is where i think a w series engine would be good for my school project because i would easily be able to get that done in time and if no one wants to give one for free lets talk deal.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:05:39 PM
Registered

Ok so not much of a machine shop then. Sorry anything I have is out of your league then. You might be able to talk the local machine shops into helping you in return for a little advertising next to the finished engine. Besides it makes for a better project. I mean really.....anyone can take and engine appart, paint it, and put it back together. Thats not much of a project in itself. Having to research,make parts, re-fit parts makes it an actual learning experience. You do have a set of mics and telescoping gauges at least right?
-Aaron
Old 10-23-2008, 07:30:05 PM
Registered

I have a 6S Briggs that's all complete I'll give you if you pay shipping. Pretty sure it turns over. I know it's not a W series. but it's close. Let me know.
CJ
Old 10-23-2008, 08:31:43 PM
Registered

i have most measuring tools that i used when i did small engine repair class at college. And if ever need another type i can always buy it. What engines do you have makoman let me know what engines they are and what is wrong with them i might be able to do them. I know where they stashed some of the off limits tools that are a bit dangerous for the norm person.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:09:30 AM
Registered

Well I have 2 WMB brass tag engines. Both need the following:
-Bore and hone for oversize slug and ring
-Valves and guides along with machining the seats
-Build up and re-grind the crank journals and fit new bearings
-Re-machine rod to fit crank
-Basic cleaning, painting, gaskets and the like.
Im confused though....are you in HS or college? You mentioned having an upcoming HS class.....but said you had measuring tools from a college small engine course?
-Aaron
Old 10-24-2008, 12:22:29 AM
Registered

well i am in both. I am a high school student full time but high schools around where i live have made a deal with the local tech college to host college level classes for people who want higher learning. Its all paid for so i dont have to pay a cent and i have transportation there and back from my high school. I take high school classes half the day then the other half i take college classes. I can take a wide varity of classes from cooking to auto. I currently am gonna go back spring semester which is some time in jan. Unfortunaly due to buget cuts no machineing classes there anymore. And at my hs i have a beautful cast iron lathe that osha says hands off and permetly put a lock out lock on the breaker box because of the safety guards not installed on it. I feel sad that i cant use it or atleast clean it up because it has everything upon everything. AND ITS SLOWLY GETTING WRECKED by the kids and the sawdust since its in the woods shop. I have been pushing for 3 years to get the guards on it and get it running so us advanced kids can use it and make simple to complex stuff on it but no dice. Right now i wouldnt have access or knowlege to do bearings, that kind of honing or valve guides. Which sucks of course. But if i knew how i would certanialy would take it up. I hope that some one decides to be kind and help me out and i would certainly pay for shipping and maybe even make a deal. I dont want anything expensive but i would love something affordable so that once i am done with this engine that it will look great in the display case at school. Since next year i am going off to college it would be in there for a long time sof many people would enjoy the glimps into yesteryear.
I have always learned that if there is a will strong enough that there is a way to get something done so i will keep on looking.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:33:06 PM
Registered

Have you checked your local small engine shops and lawn and garden dealers. I would sure think they would help out a local boy for a school project. Arlie
Old 10-28-2008, 09:34:35 AM
Registered

Hey I dont mean to sound ofensive or anything, but a couple of guys have already offered a number of good prospects, model A, 6S, WMB, so is it that you really want a rare expensive model for next to nothing? I mean I cant blame you, heck we all want something rare and cheap. Good luck with your project.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:43:43 AM
Registered

na i dont want anything rare when i get my first rare one i will buy it out of my own pockets when i can aford it because then it will be extra special.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:17:40 PM
Registered

Ok I guess im not following this either. Basicly you want a letter series engine, in good mechanical condition, to re-paint and put on display? If its going to just be a display, why does it need to run? If its already in good mechanical condition, and your just going to "pretty it up", what does that say about the school and its program? Maybe put another way here, If the school doesnt have the capability and/or knowledge to overhaul an engine...why display an engine as a project? Not trying to sound mean here, im just confused. To me its like a school without a wood shop showing off a beautiful oak rocker made by one of the students as a project from local trees. Know what I mean?
-Aaron
Old 10-28-2008, 02:17:52 PM
Registered

Exclamation Re: Help I need a staker to help me out with a Briggs engine

Why not go to an Auction or Yard Sale with your parents or alone, I would be willing to bet that if you went to a local junkyard you might even find one, I am sure that you will find one there for a very inexpensive price
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28:01 PM
Registered

If you have a Briggs B why not use it for the project? It is already in your possession and you know what is wrong with it. If the bearings are bad it is a simple replace the magneto or PTO cover/support and you could get good used parts cheaper and quicker than spending money on shipping a cast iron engine and dealing with delays. No special tools required. The engine could stay at the school until they decide to change out the display and then you could go pick up and tote back home. I also wonder about the wisdom of someone sending you an engine that will be in a place that it will be "slowly getting wrecked" by sawdust and by students that don't care , much like the lathe you wrote about. Once you leave, someone else will either "claim" it once it is forgotten or will be tossed into the scrap bin. Why not use your B and pick it up after the school year ends? Throw in some pictures in the background of the disassembled engine and some re-assemble pictures, paint, decal, and your project is complete. I am sure you could cut a deal with one of the photography students in either the HS or college to that for you and print on some good photo-grade paper for free.

The answer is too easy here.

Cheef