Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

clogged water jacket

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2451 times

Old 06-22-2002, 11:09:50 AM
Ed Welsh

Default clogged water jacket

I have a 4hp acadia in my 20' motorboat. When I launched it yesterday and got it fired up, I found that the waterjacket was partially plugged, I tried to backflush it to try and clear the obstruction, to no avail! Can anybody offer me some help on how I can flush it clean.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2002, 05:11:45 PM
chuck balyeat

Default Re: clogged water jacket

You could use vinegar or this or that .... Oxalic acid and hydrochloric acids will also clean it , but will be awkward to criculate in an inboard marine . In the end you might find that the fastest and easiest would probably be pop the top off and peck it out with a welding rod , rebar , and the threads on a long bolt work well too . compressed air and rags would be usefull . You can hot tank it , but thats a compl
Old 06-22-2002, 05:11:47 PM
chuck balyeat

You could use vinegar or this or that .... Oxalic acid and hydrochloric acids will also clean it , but will be awkward to criculate in an inboard marine . In the end you might find that the fastest and easiest would probably be pop the top off and peck it out with a welding rod , rebar , and the threads on a long bolt work well too . compressed air and rags would be usefull . You can hot tank it , but thats a complete tear down , and it eats bearings .
Old 06-22-2002, 09:42:01 PM
dan cerro---n.j.

take a throttle cable from a junk lawn mower remove the center wire,now you have the spiral wrap outer. for that engine about twenty inches long bend a small hook on one end the other end in your electric drill. keep at it and use a vacuum. works most of the time. workes great in hoppers. and in sealed uprites. all you need is a starting hole. good luck.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:56:02 PM
Doug Kimball

Ed, There is a product called "Safe-Acid" that I have used to clean salt water shell & tube heat exchangers. It was provided by the company I used to work for & don't know where they got it. It was a green powder that was mixed in a 5 gal. pail at recommended strength & circulated from & back to pail using a cheap rubber impellar pump for an hour or two. It worked very well. Cleaned cupro-nickel tubes shiny bright & 50 psi drop in discharge pressure on a Freon-22, 13 ton A/C system. Wish I knew the vendor.