Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Evapo-Rust rust removal process.

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 5675 times

Old 12-02-2009, 11:17:37 PM
NAMPeters

Default Evapo-Rust rust removal process.

Needed to derust a casting with several cavities and passages. Electrolysis is a line of sight process and would not touch the internal areas, acid pickling would work but did not feel comfortable with the idea of neutralizing and flushing the internal passages so a chelating process was decided on i.e. Evapo-Rust. First picture shows the before condition.

The second picture is after 24 hrs in the soup with occasional agitation and part repositioning, two washings with Arm&Hammer washing soda, clean water rinse, blow dry and dry rag wipe down. The casting appears as good as a fresh foundry piece and is good to go for remanufacturing.

For those interested the part is the fuel reservoir from the 1929 Fairbanks-Morse 10HP ZA project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2248.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	68387   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2259.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	68388  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2009, 11:36:33 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,142 Times in 762 Posts
Default Re: Evapo-Rust rust removal process.

Looks good. where did you get the evapo rust from .
Old 12-03-2009, 12:29:10 AM
NAMPeters

Would you believe Harbor Freight?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 12-03-2009, 12:39:37 AM
Registered

i have used it many times. One problem with it is that its expensive and hard to find. But it works so damn well i would recomend it to anyone and best part is you dont have to rince it off if u cant use the part right away because it leaves a anti rust coating on the part. If you want to use the part right away just wash off with warm water.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:11:42 AM
Sky

Actually, if you have a big enough electrode and you have a strong solution plus providing you put the junk electrode up close about 3 to 4 inches away from the negative part you are cleaning, electrolisis WILL clean the part inside and out. I have done several very complicated mixers and simular parts this way with absolutly GREAT results. The only thing left ofcource is your usual brushing off the black crud and if you cant get a brush in there, get a power washer and blast'er off full strength. She'll be clean then!

This is providing you let your set up "cook" for about a week. And clean your electrodes off every other day. You'll be left with a part thats down to bare metal and little pit's were rust use to be.

Clean the part off, blast it with the power washer if you wish. Let dry and prime immidiatly.

I've used chemical methods to good success but really, if you have time for electrolisis, hardly anything beats it. Providing you do it right.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:30:06 AM
Registered

I agree electrolysis works very good if done right and set up right. ive used it for nearly everything including whole engine blocks
Old 12-03-2009, 10:03:19 AM
Registered

you can also go to <theruststore.com>they have evapo-rust and several other rust removers and rust inhibitors.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antiquecarman For This Post:
Old 12-03-2009, 01:34:32 PM
Registered

I have been using electrolysis for the past several years with outstanding results, but am always willing to try something new. Does the Evapo-Rust have a distinct smell to it? In other words, would I be able to use it to derust small parts in the basement of the house without my wife having fits because of a chemical smell? I checked out their website and they claim there are no strong odors, but I would really like to confirm this with people that have actually used the product.

Also, there is a link on their website for finding out where you can buy it locally. Just type in your zip code and it will give a listing of area businesses that sell it. It turns out that AutoZone and O'Reilly auto parts stores carry it. Luckily, both of those chains of parts stores have locations about a two minute drive from my home.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:47:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,361 Posts

I can't smell anything when it's new and only a slight local smell when it's working. Just did a couple of mixers(IHC M & Nat'l Engineering) in basement with no complaints upstairs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 12-03-2009, 02:52:56 PM
Monte Stock

Yes Harbor freight has it for $20 a gallon. I have never used it myself. Do you use it full strength or dilute it?
Old 12-03-2009, 03:52:02 PM
Registered

its full strength if i remember and not any really any smells to complain about
Old 12-03-2009, 03:59:13 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,284 Times in 2,498 Posts

Is that stuff the same as sulphated molasses? Which is cheaper?

Quote:
Molasses contains chelating agents. These are made of molecules that are shaped a bit like the claws of a crab--the word chelating comes directly from the Latin word chele, meaning claw. They can envelop metal atoms on the surface of an object, trapping them and removing them. Molasses owes its properties to cyclic hydroxamic acids which are powerful chelators of iron.
http://www.lametalsmiths.org/news/page9.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry For This Post:
Old 12-03-2009, 04:31:20 PM
Registered

Looks like tractor supply has it also. 19.99 a gallon. looks like i know what im getting next time i go there.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:06:06 PM
NAMPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Is that stuff the same as sulphated molasses? Which is cheaper?
Who knows what is in that stuff. Molasses has long been used for rust removal, never tried it myself, but seems to be a slow process. Evapo-Rust worked fairly quickly so concentration and catalytic agents probably come into play.

Electrolysis is a very good process, used by preservationists on rare items to good effect. Some attributes of rust removal can be attributed to long time in a mildly caustic solution for like electroplating and etching it is basically a line of sight process.

Evapo-Rust has a mild unoffensive odor and after use a wet rusty iron smell like when you are in a shower sfter a day of grinder use. Did my process in the spare bathroom in the mobile at the ranch and had no complaints from SWMBO.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:02:27 PM
Registered

i love this stuff. it works great and tractor supply has it. but it does not work well with brass

Stacy
Old 12-07-2009, 03:40:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,891 Times in 3,753 Posts

I haven't tried it yet, but I remember reading in one of the automotive magazines many years ago about cleaning / de-rusting parts by putting them in heavy plastic pail or garbage can with a strong mixture of crystal Drano.

I don't remember without going back and trying to find the article again if you mix one can per 5 gallons, or one can per garbage can (20-30 gal). Suposed to chew through the gunk and grime along with eating away at the rust leaving you a bright shiny part when done, and then they said simply dump the bucket down your drain to dispose of it and clean your pipes in the process.

Never saw any follow up letters to the editor or anything for or aginst the process. Was in one of the Hot Rod , Car Craft , Street Rodder, Popular Hot Rodding, Super Chevy, High Performance Pontiac, Truckin', Mini Truckin', Old Car Collector, or one of a dozen other magazines I was getting for many years, I think in the late 80's to early /mid 90s.... but that's a lot of back issues to go through. They recomended it for cleaning pulleys, brackets, exhaust manifolds, or whatever you could fit in the bucket or garbage can. Pretty Caustic solution though, so you wouldn't want to splash any of it on yourself.