Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

What do you do to preserve old paint on wood?

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2108 times

Old 11-19-2002, 03:31:18 PM
Ron Weber

Default What do you do to preserve old paint on wood?

I recently aquired a rosenthal husker shredder of the woodedn style, and need to preserve the fading and badly worn paint. Do I use shellac? Ployurethane? tung oil?

Thanks!!!! Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2002, 04:24:40 PM
Dick Hamilton

Default Re: What do you do to preserve old paint on wood?

I use clear polyurethane. Some items have had this treatment for many years and still looking good. It also works nice to bring out old pin stripping. I'll be lookimg for other peoples ideas. Dick in New York
Old 11-19-2002, 10:04:05 PM
Jim T

Ron

I agree with Dick. Use polyurathane and make sure it is "non-photosensiitive". That means the sunlight will not dull the finnish or fade the colors under it.

Jim
Old 11-20-2002, 12:21:14 AM
Bill Sherlock

Anybody tried Spar Varnish? It's supposed to be good protection against UV rays.

Bill
Old 11-20-2002, 01:38:19 AM
Jim T

Bill

Spar Varnish is a very good varnish. Only problem with it, it only lasts about 3-5 years and by then it is cracked and curled.

I have been using the non-photo Polyurathane for the past 8 years and it holds up much better.

Jim