Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engines and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engines and Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engines and Collectibles

Any Maytag Experts Here?

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 5124 times

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 10:54:49 PM
Tom G

Default Any Maytag Experts Here?

I've had a few Maytag engines for several years now. Today I picked up a Maytag washing machine, and would like to mount one of my engines on it. Does anyone know how to verify the proper engine for a washing machine? It looks like a Maytag single with the short fuel tank will work, but I wouldn't mind some expert advice as to what is correct.

Thanks in advance. THANKS HARRY!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2003, 12:11:33 AM
Don C. Wiley

Default Re: Any Maytag Experts Here?

Tom;

Go to this link and you can get more information than you will EVER need.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois

Also, check the EnginAds site sponsor's page.

Maytag Collectors Club
Old 03-09-2003, 09:24:52 AM
Marvin McCullough

Hi, Look for the serial number that is stampted on the side of the top ring of the tub. That will help determine the model and age of the washer. Maybe we can then determine the engine that would be correct.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:30:01 PM
Tom G

Hello Marvin,

The number is 46891. No other numbers or letters. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on what model this is.

Can you tell me how the transmission is greased, and the correct grease for it? It was very stiff when I first tried to run the washer with it's electric motor. It seems to have limbered up now.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:41:39 PM
Tom G

Thanks for your reply, Don. I was aware of that website, but would like a little more information than I can find there.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:33:24 PM
Don C. Wiley

Tom;

I think if you dig a little bit into the Matag Collectors Club site you will find every thing you would need.

The serial number list that I have and the one on the Maytag Collectors Club site don't show any numbers that correspond to your's. All of the ones I have, have either a prefix letter or number or a affix letter.

Is your's a round porcelain tub, square porcelain tub, round aluminum tub, square aluminum tub, or copper tub.

All this information is on the Club site if you dig far enough.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2003, 09:50:30 AM
Marvin McCullough

Tom, Don is correct. I only have info for serial numbers that either have a letter as the prefix or suffix. You might contact Lee Maxwell at http://www.oldewash.com Marvin
Old 03-10-2003, 09:54:51 PM
Tom G

Square aluminum tub. Now you know what my problem is. I can't match the number either.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:57:47 PM
Tom G

Marvin, I appreciate the responses from you and Don. I can't find anything other than what I posted, so I can't match the numbers on the serial # list, either.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:55:57 PM
Lonnie Henry

Hi Tom, Can you better describe the Maytag washer is it a model 80 whihc has two handles on wringer head,model 90 which has a curved single handle on top of wringer head, or a straight chrome handles with a round housing under the under,etc. The short base single was the last style made the twin cylinder maytag with cast iron bolt ears was made to replace this engine so bolt holes should line up. The long base single cylinder engine was made to span the distance under washing machine,the later washers had a cross member under them that the engine mounted on. If you have a picture that would be the easiest way but we can work from a good decription. also since serial number is gone possibly any part numbers that would slao help destinguish the model would be helpfull
Old 03-10-2003, 11:39:24 PM
Tom G

Hello, and thanks for your reply. This washer has a metal cross member between the legs. It is a square tub, aluminum washer. The serial # which I posted is located on the front of the top rim, just above the Maytag decal. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "handles" on the wringer. Could you please explain further? What parts would you like part #s from? I'll try to find them tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:57:47 PM
Don C. Wiley

Tom;

A couple of pictures would sure take a BUNCH of guess work out of trying to get to your information.

Old 03-11-2003, 12:27:03 AM
Tom G

Hello Don. I agree that pictures would make things a lot easier. Wish I was set up to post them, but I'm not. I have gone back to the Maytag Club website, and clicked on "Maytag Evolution". My washer seems to match the model 32, but it is bugging me that the serial # I found doesn't match those on the list for model 32s. VEEEEERRRRRRRRY Frustrating.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:43:50 AM
John Ledbetter

Here is a picture of one of the first aluminum square -tub washers; there are at least two types (maybe more). There is a model with a transmission which operates the agitator and a model that uses a ratchet type arm that moves back and forth to operate the agitator.

This unit operates with a ratchet (the following picture will show the ratchet). The serial number of this unit is 416161A. It has a long-base motor which bolts to cross members.

Old 03-11-2003, 12:48:33 AM
John Ledbetter

Here is the 2nd picture showing the lower unit with ratchet gear & Arm.

Old 03-11-2003, 12:57:00 AM
Tom G

Nice looking washer. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:02:26 AM
Tom G

I'm guessing that by "handle" you mean the lever which engages the wringer. My washer has a straight lever, and the housing under it is round. I notice that in the pictures of some washers, this housing is square. I'm beginning to think that I have a model 32 with part of the serial # missing.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:45:23 PM
Lonnie Henry

Hi Tom, The Model 32 and 33 could either take a Maytag single Model 92 Short base or a Maytag Twin with the cast iron base if your looking for the correct range of engine serial numbers to fit under your washer for a single short base it would have been #760247 to 803840 and in a twin cylinder model 810000 to 879229. You where correct the handle I refered to was the wringer engegment handle if you look back through Maytag washer models.this feature narrows the field greatly. The early twins had a short cast iron base with bolt ears as to bolt right up to the existing holes in the cross member that mounted the single cylinders.Maytag decals are available and also the correct color gray paint. the crown or washer lip at top should be polished. I restored an original model 92 from the factory washer the other year I managed to pick up a Maytag dealership parts book from early 1960's that went all the back to model 80-82 washers in the twenties. This little book is invaluable to me. Good luck with your resto job.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:38:21 PM
Tom G

Thanks much for all of your help. I keep looking at the washer, and can still only come up with the numbers which I posted. I looked hard to see if I could find any traces of worn away numbers, with no luck. I don't understand why they are missing.

Thanks Again.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:26:24 PM
Jim Tremble

Tom

I found a lot of info on the Maytag Washers. Go to this site and look around.

http://216.160.174.6/oldewash_docs/oldewash/wash_report_maytag_line.cfm

Good luck,

Jim
Closed Thread