Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Mystery "Newton" Engine - Anyone Know Anything About This?

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 5842 times

Old 05-04-2011, 04:02:47 PM
Registered

Default Mystery "Newton" Engine - Anyone Know Anything About This?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gazpacho.../0/RyH0MKWdkks
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2011, 05:19:44 PM
Registered

Default Re: Mystery "newton" engine anyone know anything about this?

Clinton Engines Corp had engines made overseas for them by Newton. Probably the first emall engine manufacturer to do so. I also have one which is NOS from a Clinton distributor from Minnesota!

Mike
Old 05-04-2011, 05:46:42 PM
Registered

agree with mike. looks like a clinton to me!!! just like one i used to have
Old 05-04-2011, 08:57:36 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Neuman View Post
Clinton Engines Corp had engines made overseas for them by Newton. Probably the first emall engine manufacturer to do so. I also have one which is NOS from a Clinton distributor from Minnesota!

Mike

Who were Newton? Where was it made? Why were some Newton branded? Is that other Clinton I showed a Newton as well? It doesn't seem to be built to as high a standard as the older Clintons I have.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:19:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,604 Times in 744 Posts

I remember seeing some Newton engines for sale at a Princess Auto store in Saskatoon a few years ago, but don't remember if they were new or refurbished. At the time I noticed the similarity to a Clinton engine I had given to me.

Bill
Old 05-05-2011, 02:16:08 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

If you have deep pockets, you can have a dual fuel Newton (Gasoline / Kerosene) engine.
Check out eBay #110629179444

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 05-07-2011, 10:41:48 PM
Larry Rarus

This was Clinton's swan song. They sold their tooling to "Newton Engineering & Manufacturing (PTE) Ltd." in Singapore, Malaysia. Initially Newton attempted to get some mileage out of the established Clinton name by labeling their engines as Clintons. Ultimately they decided to ditch the name, turn the arrowhead upside down and brand them as Newtons. Shortly thereafter it was game over.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:09:58 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rarus View Post
This was Clinton's swan song. They sold their tooling to "Newton Engineering & Manufacturing (PTE) Ltd." in Singapore, Malaysia. Initially Newton attempted to get some mileage out of the established Clinton name by labeling their engines as Clintons. Ultimately they decided to ditch the name, turn the arrowhead upside down and brand them as Newtons. Shortly thereafter it was game over.
Thanks for the info, Does that mean the other Clinton in the video was built by Newton? Pretty rare engine I suppose.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:02:42 PM
Larry Rarus

The person in that video rambles and rambles about Newton not being a manufacturer because he's never heard of it, and that it's worthless, etc. He's mistaken on both counts. It's quite simply this...a Clinton that was manufactured in Singapore instead of Maquoketa. The specs are identical. The older one in the video was likely from Iowa (no way to tell from the video). Newtons are not rare, although they're certainly less common than Clintons. They're on E-Bay from time to time (note Mr. Newman's example). I have some documentation co-branded with Clinton/Newton and even a large advertising poster with a young Asian woman posing in a bikini amidst a bunch of Newton engines. No kidding.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:30:35 PM
Registered

No that does not mean that the other CLINTON! in the video is a Newton, unless it is silver with an upside down arrowhead or says Newton on it somewhere it is not a Newton it is a Clinton.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:43:39 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rarus View Post
The person in that video rambles and rambles about Newton not being a manufacturer because he's never heard of it, and that it's worthless, etc. He's mistaken on both counts. It's quite simply this...a Clinton that was manufactured in Singapore instead of Maquoketa. The specs are identical. The older one in the video was likely from Iowa (no way to tell from the video). Newtons are not rare, although they're certainly less common than Clintons. They're on E-Bay from time to time (note Mr. Newman's example). I have some documentation co-branded with Clinton/Newton and even a large advertising poster with a young Asian woman posing in a bikini amidst a bunch of Newton engines. No kidding.
Yes, thank you, I did set out to make a rambling stupid video because I'm a moron. Oh wait, no. It's not that I had never heard of Newton, although I hadn't. It's that I couldn't find any information on them at all anywhere. That is why I made the video and this post.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy1 View Post
No that does not mean that the other CLINTON! in the video is a Newton, unless it is silver with an upside down arrowhead or says Newton on it somewhere it is not a Newton it is a Clinton.
Well someone said they sold Newtons as Clinton's briefly.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:46:21 AM
Registered

That was the ver ver very end of Clinton production and i think they were still painted silver.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:12:47 AM
Larry Rarus

Sorry. I must've missed the words stupid and moron in my response. I didn't think I used them nor did I intend to insinuate anything.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:01:49 AM
Registered

Hi there fellas! I'm in the UK.
I had Newton engine which I fitted to a Trojan childs' ride-on miniature tractor. It was BLUE and obviously original. I think these were fitted to cement mixers over here as that is where the previous owner told me he got it from. I also have found very little information on these engines over here or who was the agent / importer.
HOWEVER! And this is my reason for posting here;
My little Trojan 'Toraktor' was stolen from our garage in Kent UK some time ago and in spite of posting on the internet and sending out leaflets to clubs and tractor meets, shows etc it still hasn't been found. So, if any of you should come across a little Trojan mini tractor with a 'Newton' engine in it is is most likely to belong to me. If so please advise to...Tim @ Permanden .co .uk
I will try to post a photo on here, but if anyone is interested I can email a picture of it. I can ID it as I restored it for my son to go to rallies with. Regards and Thanks to all.
TCS.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:24:30 AM
Registered

TROJAN 'TORAKTOR' with NEWTON ENGINE. Originally fitted with Clinton engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toraktor Stolen.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	317963  
Old 09-05-2018, 06:26:16 AM
Registered

TROJAN 'TORAKTOR' with NEWTON ENGINE. Originally fitted with Clinton engine. Newton enging is direct replacement fot the Clinton which the mounting lugs had broken off of.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:09:23 AM
Registered

Default Re: Mystery "Newton" Engine - Anyone Know Anything About This?

Newton was an odd venture with the Clinton Engine Company. The earliest "Newton" Engines didn't say Newton at all, they were Clintons built overseas. The serial numbers were acid etched, with stamped serial number tags. The tags said "Clinton Machine Works" or something like that. The Clinton logo was also different on some, it looked similar in font to that of the late Clinton logo, but the famous arrowhead wasn't present. In the later 1970s, Clinton began to have Newton build some of their engines overseas. These earlier models were exact copies of the Clintons. They built a complete series, from the little 410 series up through the large 422 engines. After Clinton went downhill in 1974, the Newton Engine Company as far as i know continued building a small set of engines for warranty replacement. The 4 cycle division of Clinton folded up in 1974-1975, and its fuzzy to me what happened with Newton from there. Clinton still sold 2 Cycles into the 1980s, but I don't think Newton did much more. I also do not believe Newton built any two cycle engines.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:12:33 AM
Registered

I would say the engine on your tractor was one of the ones built under Clinton's control. The decal on the engine recoil is the Clinton E-Z Pull decal, which was simply the eaton recoil they used.
Very neat! Have any close ups of the engine?

AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sargeant View Post
Hi there fellas! I'm in the UK.
I had Newton engine which I fitted to a Trojan childs' ride-on miniature tractor. It was BLUE and obviously original. I think these were fitted to cement mixers over here as that is where the previous owner told me he got it from. I also have found very little information on these engines over here or who was the agent / importer.
HOWEVER! And this is my reason for posting here;
My little Trojan 'Toraktor' was stolen from our garage in Kent UK some time ago and in spite of posting on the internet and sending out leaflets to clubs and tractor meets, shows etc it still hasn't been found. So, if any of you should come across a little Trojan mini tractor with a 'Newton' engine in it is is most likely to belong to me. If so please advise to...Tim @ Permanden .co .uk
I will try to post a photo on here, but if anyone is interested I can email a picture of it. I can ID it as I restored it for my son to go to rallies with. Regards and Thanks to all.
TCS.