Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Micrometer Adjustment

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 9127 times

Old 05-07-2011, 08:28:14 AM
Registered

Default Micrometer Adjustment

I did a search but didn't find what I needed. I have a Central Tool 1" micrometer that reads .003" when closed. There is no trash or nicks on the contacting surfaces. Is there any way to adjust this thing? I know I can subtract .003 from my readings but it just bugs me. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2011, 08:48:37 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts
Default Re: Micrometer Adjustment

If the mic is under warranty, you need to go that route.

If it's not under warranty and there's not an adjustment under the barrel, I think that, because it's reading +0.003 when closed, it could have been dropped.

You can probably do a decent fix by pulling fine emery paper through the gap until it's zeroed again. It will take some time but should work.

..................Re-reading you post made me have a "DOH!" moment. The gap is too -big- by 0.003" so you will have to add material or (horrors!) bang on it to bend it that amount.......................

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand

Last edited by Elden DuRand; 05-07-2011 at 08:51:09 AM. Reason: Had a "DOH!" moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 09:11:22 AM
Registered

I would say if the tool has gone out of adjustment the thimble clamping device is not very tight and has allowed the thimble to move by the 0.003" misalignment. If the moving anvil shaft is secured gently with a pair of pliars and a bit of aluminium packing to guard against damaging the shaft then you will probably be able to correct the misalignment with a simple 'tweak' of the thimble. Otherwise, the moving anvil must be fully unscrewed and withdrawn from the frame to gain access to the clamping device, the technique is to set the thimble clamp only slightly stiff and then re-assemble, next, carefully set the alignment of the marks on the thimble with the zero using the amount of tension that you personally like to use, while holding the shaft gently as already described, then very carefully dismantle again being careful not to lose the setting and gently tighten the clamp more fully, then re-assemble and check the marks are still good. The thimble clamp might require a special tool to set, these tools are usually included with the micrometer when it is new. On a good mike the anvils are faced with tungsten carbide and no amount of emery will wear them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Hayes For This Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 09:12:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

Some mics are adjusted by turning the fixed sleeve with a spanner wrench. If there is a small hole in the side of the fixed sleeve just below the "C" frame, then that is how you bring it back to zero. Others will have a lock nut at the end of the rotating sleeve and you loosen that up and rotate the sleeve to read zero, then tighten the lock nut back down.

I Can Probably Fix That
The Following User Says Thank You to John Newman Jr. For This Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 10:04:17 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,624 Posts

On all my Central mikes the knurled thimble has 3 sections, one narrow & 2 wide. Hold the second wide one & unscrew the first one-(end one). It's a cap & will screw off. You will see a small hex (Allen) head screw. Loosen that screw, & the thimble will be loose to adjust. Might take a little fiddling, but you can get it set to just zero w/the friction.
If the threads feel loose, screw the spindle clear out & there's a little spanner nut to tighten the threads & take the slop out.
Centrals are nice mikes, I have them from 1 to 6"...got them off the Snap-On truck years ago...

Elden: Good lord man, EMERY CLOTH? You disappoint me... just kiddin-I know you know better...
The Following User Says Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 01:12:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,890 Times in 3,753 Posts

Before you do any adjusting on it, close it down on a stiff piece of paper like an index card and pull the paper through the anvil faces to clean off any dirt buildup that's on it. That should be done on a regular basis anyway to keep it clean.

It doesn't take much residue to make them read high, and if you were to zero it out without cleaning, you could get undersized readings when checking round parts like shafts or ball bearings that only contact in a single point instead of accross the entire surface.

If it's clean, then adjust it as needed. I'm not familiar with that particular brand, but most micrometers are adjustable either by turning the the barrel with a spanner wrench or removing the thimble ratchet and adjusting a small nut on the end of the rod.

I wouldn't even concider using emery cloth on a mic unless it's an old one that you know has been dropped and when you close it down on itself you can see a gap on one side indicating a misalignment, and even then I think I would use a diamond file so it would remain flat instead of emery cloth which could round off the edges. Turn the file so it only cuts on the solid anvil, not the moveable one, and if the file cuts on both sides, back it up with a shim or feeler gauge blade on the moveable side.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 06:54:56 PM
In Memory Of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm View Post

.......snip....................

Elden: Good lord man, EMERY CLOTH? You disappoint me... just kiddin-I know you know better...
Ron:

I guess I could say I posted that message to test y'all. The simple truth is that I wasn't thinking.

Or maybe I WAS thinking and that's what "done me in".

I've been having days like that lately.

Take care - Elden
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 07:53:23 PM
Registered

I appreciate all you guys taking the time to respond. I've looked at the mic and I just don't see any way to move/adjust anything on it except the tension on the small knurled knob on the end. It shows no indication that it was ever dropped or damaged in any way. I really don't use it very much, so this is just a peve of mine. I'm a welder, which means I usually measure with a tape, mark with a soapstone and cut with a torch. But I'll keep messing with it. Which means I'll eventually break it and then I'll get one that reads true. Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:39:27 PM
Registered

Any and all mics I have owned all had an adjustment wrench came with them and were made to be adjusted. Take a look at mr pete on you tube, it has a tutorial on adj. mics.
The Following User Says Thank You to John C Walker For This Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 12:03:08 AM
Registered

Here is the Central Tool web site that has instructions on how to adjust the micrometer - http://www.centraltools.com/pdf/6009.PDF
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francis For This Post:
Old 05-08-2011, 08:57:25 AM
Registered

Thanks guys. Actually I went to Central's website but couldn't find anything like that pdf. I just printed it out and will play with it after I finish my coffee and get moving for the day. I knew someone would point me in the right direction. I picked the mic up at a yard sale several years ago so I never had any 'care and feeding' instructions to go with it. It wasn't rusty and didn't have any hammer marks on it so I figured I couldn't go too far wrong. Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:27:14 AM
Registered

ELDEN Were you having a senior's moment hahaha dave
Old 05-08-2011, 02:53:28 PM
Registered

Francis,
Thanks for the link. Went out to the shop and finally figured out how to get the thing taken apart. Your were right, it took a little fiddling around beu I finally got it set to zero. Thanks again to ALL you guys.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:29:12 PM
In Memory Of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wight View Post
ELDEN Were you having a senior's moment hahaha dave
Dave:

What day is it, anyway?

CRS Syndrome is getting to be a regular thing with me.

Take care - Elden
Old 05-09-2011, 10:50:01 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,624 Posts

Personally, I'll cut you some slack, Elden-anybody that can build a HVID from scratch & make it run is OK w/me...
Old 05-09-2011, 11:52:22 PM
Registered

At least Elden didn't suggest correcting the mic on the green wheel on his grinder!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:08:17 AM
In Memory Of

Thanks for your confidence, Ron!
--------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT green wheel??!!

I sharpen my carbide tool bits using the regular fine wheel. Just takes a light touch and some time. Kinda dresses the wheel at the same time.

I found that a file takes WAYYYYY too long! The back porch cee-ment step ain't very accurate and it leaves grooves.

Take care - Elden
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 11:48:38 PM
Registered

LOL Elden!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:44:53 AM
Registered

My 55 year old Moore and Wright 0 to 1inch mic has a small hole in the barrel that takes a small C type spanner this is used to zero the mic .