Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

What is the BEST small Onan diesel in your opinion

this thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 2191 times

Old 03-12-2016, 08:14:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,238 Times in 2,205 Posts
Default What is the BEST small Onan diesel in your opinion

Good morning,

I am on a mission - I want to get an Onan diesel genset.

Onan manufactured many diesel gensets. I read that some parts for various diesel gensets are next to impossible to find and if found are very expensive. I read that marine diesels should be avoided due to corrosion. I read all kinds of things and I'm confused.

My question: I am looking for a SMALL Onan diesel genset. It does not need to look pretty, however it must be a solid performer and not molested by a butcher. In YOUR opinion, what is considered to be a highly desirable Onan diesel 6.5kw or smaller? Model, year, and detailed information to support your opinion would be good. Once I make up my mind based on your input I will know what to look for and what to avoid.

Thanks in advance,

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 09:19:16 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: What is the BEST small Onan diesel in your opinion

Since you thinking is just like mine I will tell you what I have. I have a 6.0 DJB and a 3kw DJA. The 6.0 is a YD end which puts out clean power. The DJA since its overpowered for that 3 kw doesnt more its rmp on the load so its clean so long you dont overload it to much. I only buy 120/240 so it can have my universal L14-30 plug for my interlocked breaker set up. I also have a few NG sets. I do not buy anything larger than 7.5 KW as I cant justify the fuel usuage (or garage/shed space). I pick up parts on ebay when I find them at really low prices as spares. Lets just say I have alot of spares.

Last edited by gchank; 03-12-2016 at 09:22:57 AM. Reason: more explaining
Old 03-12-2016, 10:40:08 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,074 Posts

A DJB or C. Solid reliable, built to run forever. Parts still available. Down side is they are heavy and noisy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gunny For This Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 10:40:52 AM
Registered

This is a topic that I also have been interested in. My criteria is a balance between robustness of design, low maintenance, fuel economy, and parts availability. Or in a nutshell, which models can I keep going the longest with out 100% parts support.

In this neck of the woods, we get some minor power outages ever year, with a periodic major one. In the ice storm we had in Nov. of 96, some outlying areas did not get power back for 6 weeks. I'm interested in what models can I nurse along for the next 30 years with my skills as a machinist and mechanic. Electronics is a very weak area for me.

Regards,

Doug
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug E. For This Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 11:22:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
...In YOUR opinion, what is considered to be a highly desirable Onan diesel 6.5kw or smaller?
6.0 DKC.

It's the baby brother to the popular 7.5 DKD. Onan, and all other US manufacturers got out of the small Diesel engine business because, IMO, Kubota and their ilk had a better product and beat them in the marketplace.

Sad, but I'm afraid true. Kubota, unlike Onan, is still around and has parts for these engines.

The DKC/DKD had two regulator schemes. The simpler was just a transformer (not really super-tight regulation, but lead-pipe simple and bulletproof).

I had a 6.0 DJE, and got rid of it. Too noisy, and hard to start in the cold. But, if you want an Onan engine set, that'd be the next best thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 11:39:37 AM
Registered

I agree with Jim, as much as I like onan air cooled gensets, I think the small japanese made diesels are much better products. Parts are readily available and I have seen many units that have run for thousands of hrs.
The Following User Says Thank You to akirkland For This Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 12:13:20 PM
Registered

I'm going to vote for the DKD too - and I voted with my wallet a few years ago when I bought my 7.5 DKD and sold my 7.5 MDJE. The Kubota engine is really easy to get parts for, and honestly starts and runs smoother than the DJE did. It will start with HALF the CCA battery. As noted above, the transformer regulator is DIRT simple and can be replaced with the cheap Chinese regulators if you are so inclined.

-Tad
Old 03-12-2016, 01:50:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,485 Times in 1,999 Posts

Well if you want to just buy something the dkd or dkc are great.. i have a dkd and it's a great little gen and much quieter than the air cooled onans.. but they have alot of electronics.. a dja has a few resistors and etc.. is noise a big factor?

Considering there size i think you need both.. i think it will come down to which one you can find first.. not like there are many out there.. especially with a realistic price tag

Im sure you could build one.. get a little creative...anyone can buy one and make it work given enough time.. im sure you can find a small diesel engine and gen end and work your magic.. just an idea
The Following User Says Thank You to YellowLister For This Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 01:56:48 PM
Registered

I just bought a DKD so I hope your bang on on how good they are.
The one I got has 545 hours on the meter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150806_144932.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	248749  
The Following User Says Thank You to Paso One For This Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 02:52:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,925 Times in 1,098 Posts

I too like the DKD , I have one and trust it. However they have one glaring fault which cannot be overcome. The generator to engine mounting system is proprietary, ie you can only use an Onan genend or components. I just picked up another 3cyl Kubota based generator which uses a standard SAE bellhousing and mounting plate so you can get an aftermarket Pancake genend from a variety of manufacturers such as Marathon. These are used on light towers and RV gens. If you think that finding parts for a DKD is easy let me assure you that it is not. I know of a fellow who has been looking for a DKD gen end for some time now for a marine unit with no luck. You can buy a complete 8Kw Marathon pancake genend for $1700. I also like the MDJB and MDJE 2 cyl units for simplicity but they are somewhat louder than the Kubota based gens. So in order of preference for a 6-8Kw diesel. Cheers Dan

1 Kubota based 3cyl RV gen with Marathon genend
2 DKD
3 2 Cyl j series Onan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBlockChev For This Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 03:41:15 PM
Email NOT Working

If criteria was Onan only then a DKx (Kubota) would be my choice too.

However, there was a lot of proprietary stuff on some of them which made them not the most desirable in my opinion.

I think any small diesel from Isuzu, Kubota, Perkins, Yanmar, etc. with a commercial gen-end is a better choice especially if it can be found newer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post: