Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Power Products Engine Questions

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 425 times

Old 06-11-2019, 06:25:16 PM
Registered

Default Power Products Engine Questions

Hey, all. I have a late 1950's Wizard 18" power mower up in the shed with Power Products AV-36 engine. The governor is currently frozen, have not yet torn down to see why. It was run wired to WOT for who knows how long, and when. Compression is quite poor as well. I have had it popping on a prime though.
Of course, parts are scarce for that engine. I have another AV-47 that looks more or less the same all around. I might try and use that one instead when I restore the mower.
I also have a NOS piston for that engine.. however it has 3 rings, and every listing I can find for rings lists only two..
Any Power Products buffs in here?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:06:22 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,016 Times in 706 Posts
Default Re: Power Products engine questions

Spenser, you probably will not find a real power products buff in this day and age. As much as I like vintage air cooled engines, I find Power Products to have made some of the worst two cycle engines of all time. Although it looks like the cylinder jug and piston will interchange between the 36 and 47s, the bolt spacing for the cylinder jug is different. The 36 to my knowledge used at least five different connecting rods. I have found aluminum, bronze and cast iron connecting rods in my ah-36 engines. You cannot simply start swapping parts around between the two series of engines, as power products used several different sized crankpins and needle bearing sizes over the years. Some rods do not have any needle bearings at all. In your vertical shaft engine you will find that the connecting rod acts as the thrust bearing and will be an aluminum rod floating on a steel crankpin. I have found the aluminum and bronze connecting rods to be troublesome and try to use the cast iron connecting rod with needle bearings in the big end from the ah-47 saw engines in my ah-36 engines. You will not be able to do that in your AV engine since it relies on the bushing type aluminum connecting rod to handle the thrust loading on the crankshaft. I have not seen a three ring piston for a power products before, can you post a picture? The only three ring two cycle pistons I have seen were made by Zollner. The Ah36s and 47s were a crossflow two cycle engine so the pistons did not use pinned rings. The Zollner three ring pistons I have seen use pinned rings. Power Products made looking up parts as well as parts interchangeability a total nightmare since their service manuals went by type number instead of engine model number. I'd be careful dismantling the governor on your AV-36, the 36s are very hard to find compared to the 47s which were one of the most popular cheap throw away chainsaw engines ever made.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 12:33:50 AM
Registered

Default Re: Power Products engine questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tron View Post
Spenser, you probably will not find a real power products buff in this day and age. As much as I like vintage air cooled engines, I find Power Products to have made some of the worst two cycle engines of all time. Although it looks like the cylinder jug and piston will interchange between the 36 and 47s, the bolt spacing for the cylinder jug is different. The 36 to my knowledge used at least five different connecting rods. I have found aluminum, bronze and cast iron connecting rods in my ah-36 engines. You cannot simply start swapping parts around between the two series of engines, as power products used several different sized crankpins and needle bearing sizes over the years. Some rods do not have any needle bearings at all. In your vertical shaft engine you will find that the connecting rod acts as the thrust bearing and will be an aluminum rod floating on a steel crankpin. I have found the aluminum and bronze connecting rods to be troublesome and try to use the cast iron connecting rod with needle bearings in the big end from the ah-47 saw engines in my ah-36 engines. You will not be able to do that in your AV engine since it relies on the bushing type aluminum connecting rod to handle the thrust loading on the crankshaft. I have not seen a three ring piston for a power products before, can you post a picture? The only three ring two cycle pistons I have seen were made by Zollner. The Ah36s and 47s were a crossflow two cycle engine so the pistons did not use pinned rings. The Zollner three ring pistons I have seen use pinned rings. Power Products made looking up parts as well as parts interchangeability a total nightmare since their service manuals went by type number instead of engine model number. I'd be careful dismantling the governor on your AV-36, the 36s are very hard to find compared to the 47s which were one of the most popular cheap throw away chainsaw engines ever made.

Chris

Hey Chris, I'll get a photo in the morning. Yes, I am well aware P-Products .. had an unusual way of doing things, to be nice about it...
I wasn't referring to swapping bits, in fact it looks like the bases and cranks are the same bolt pattern, so the idea is to just use the entire AV-47 engine. The 36 may run.. I haven't tried it yet. Carb was in real tough shape. If worst comes to worst, it'll become a static display. I had a REO with an AV36 that was a properly horrible little machine. I'll just give it a benefit of the doubt. I mainly run old LawnBoy's but this is just a tinker toy. z
Thanks for all the info. Yes, I', aware they weren't particularly good engines. That much is obvious, when you can bend the flywheel by hand..
Thanks for the lecture though. I had no idea about the bearings .. lack thereof. But it doesn't surprise me at all.
Attached a photo of the mower in question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 12.32.38 AM.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	336990  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:53:37 AM
Registered

Default Re: Power Products Engine Questions

I have a Hiller Yardhand tractor with a Power Products model 1000 engine on it, What other model Power Products engine parts are interchangeable with the model 1000 if any. It ran a short while after I got it but is not in the best condition. They also used a Briggs & Stratton on the later version and have considered switching over to that but somewhere in my mind I think that it should stay with the Power Products.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	272.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	337000  
Old 06-13-2019, 12:47:38 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Power Products Engine Questions

Dang Phil, you need to eat more!