Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

1948-50 13'' LeBlond Regal lathe

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 8518 times

Old 09-29-2010, 06:33:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,272 Times in 293 Posts
Default 1948-50 13'' LeBlond Regal lathe

i got this last month it's working not bad now.

i was wondering how the best way to get the chuck off .i don't see any where to hold the spindle .don't want to wack it while holding the hand wheel and damage the gears

i have taken it off from the face plate of the chuck and see thrends

i only got a 3 jaw need a 4 and face plate .if i can't find a 4 jaw will fit a offshore one but that means taking out the bolts witch are hard to get at not like on the off shore lathes.

the other thing i see that i don't have is a reverse switch and see there is a lever on the gearhear with reverse i have a good switch here do i need to install it.

someone bought this with out a motor and put one on to resell

it's to big 3 hp should i put a smaller one on not to hurt the gear box incase someone took to big of a cut

if this chuck justs unscrews what kind of chuck am i looking for

thanks
Brian
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2010, 08:26:14 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts
Default Re: 1948-50 13'' leblond regal lathe

Do you have a backgear to engage that when a pin is NOT pull will lock the spindle? If you do have a backgear, lock the spindle and use a wrench on one of the chuck jaw to loosen the chuck.

Kent
Old 09-29-2010, 09:11:27 AM
Registered

Brian P.---
I have a LeBlond 13" Regal lathe. To get the chuck off, you need to open the chuck to get a LARGE bar between the jaws. Then, making sure you are unscrewing (right-hand threads) at the lowest speed, hold the bar & it will break the chuck loose so you can unscrew it by hand. Mine is 2 1/8 - 5 threads. You definitely need a reversing switch, & the lathe calls for a 1 H.P. motor. I need a backing plate for my 3-jaw. If anyone out here has one, please get in touch with me. Al Louck, Oquawka, IL (309) 221-5006 honal@mchsi.com Thanks Harry for making this site possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Al Illinois For This Post:
Old 09-29-2010, 11:50:08 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,272 Times in 293 Posts

Kent
i'm not sure what you mean about back gear .is it to the left of the head where the gears and pulleys are .there might be a place i don't see. someone painted over everthing i found places that should have oil put in

here is apicture that makes it look bad the little B painted it ti hide the braze on the tail stock .

at the end of the spindle there is a notched hub .was this for a wrech to hold it while trying to get the chuck off or something else

is this a common thread .i all so would take a face plate and 4 jaw chuck
thanks
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5667.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	88848  

Last edited by Brian.P; 09-29-2010 at 12:11:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:56:45 PM
Registered

I have one of these, or a close cousin, I thnk mine uses a L2 taper mount. My lathe has an interesting history (don't they all) it was bought by the Willys company new and when Willys was bought by Kaiser it became Kaiser's property. Eventually, it found its way to Kaiser's aerospace division, which was then bought by a private investor, and then by a large company. I was working there when I saw it near the dumpster.

I confirmed that it was being thrown out and asked if I could have it. As it turned out, I couldn't. The company rule was that employees could not be given anything of value and although it was trash to them the fact that I wanted it gave it value.

So they paid someone to haul it away, and then I bought it from that person. Mine came with a 3 jaw, a 4 jaw, a collet chuck, a couple dozen collets, quick change tool holders, a Trav-a-dial, and the taper attachment. Not bad for $200, although it still bothers me that I couldn't just load it into my truck and take it home.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:44:08 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,127 Posts

I have a 15" like this, WWII surplus, it went to LSU along with 11 others. They were only used for training so had limited use and excellent care. We bought three of them at the state auction. They cam with face plates, I made an adapter to use an L-OO chuck, I think this is the smallest of the L series. My Hendey has an L-1, it's about 6" across the threads, the Summit has an L-2, must be about an 8" thread on it.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:38:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,179 Times in 2,060 Posts
Default Re: 1948-50 13'' LeBlond Regal lathe

You can buy "blank" face plates from Enco, they come in different styles, threaded, taper etc. Get one with the thread size and diameter you need, screw it onto shaft then face it and turn outside diameter to the size you need, drill holes to match chuck pattern, tap holes, then bolt chuck to face plate.
The Following User Says Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post: