Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Identifing an old boring machine

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 3985 times

Old 10-11-2010, 06:09:20 PM
Registered

Default Identifing an old boring machine

I need help identifying an old tool I recently acquired. It's a boring machine that looks like it was made for single cylinders. The decal is long gone, but in the drive mechanism is printed; Browning FB210 2" Mailable bore, Maysville KY.

Any info or direction to info would be very appreciated.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

How do I add photos?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2010, 06:16:01 PM
Registered

Default Re: Identifing an old boring machine

Here are some pictures;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4253.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	89913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4259.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	89914  
Old 10-11-2010, 09:11:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,168 Posts

Where I work we've been a Browning distributor for over 40 years. Last year they cut us off as we were not a "mega" distributor, They are going after the big warehouse distributors who buy tons of stuff. They offer bored to size sprockets and gears, etc. I suspect this was a machine to make bores on sprockets and gears, couplings, etc They are still in business. I imagine you'd be hard pressed to find someone there who could identify it as all the old timers are now, gone. They, like so many other great companies have been gobbled up by big conglomerates. Emerson Electric bought them out and probaby when they did, they let all the good employee's go and hired "young blood" to "Speed" the company forward. It's so disheartning to see this happen as all the knowledgable, experienced employee's get gone and they replace them with people who don't know doody squat. It's probably Hub boring machine for sprockets, gears, couplings etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 10-11-2010, 10:19:55 PM
Registered

Its not that old. Probably late 60s or newer. Its a boring bar for motorcycles and small engines. I have one very similar and use it all the time. They are still made new today.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:05:00 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Barrett View Post
Where I work we've been a Browning distributor for over 40 years. Last year they cut us off as we were not a "mega" distributor, They are going after the big warehouse distributors who buy tons of stuff. They offer bored to size sprockets and gears, etc. I suspect this was a machine to make bores on sprockets and gears, couplings, etc They are still in business. I imagine you'd be hard pressed to find someone there who could identify it as all the old timers are now, gone. They, like so many other great companies have been gobbled up by big conglomerates. Emerson Electric bought them out and probaby when they did, they let all the good employee's go and hired "young blood" to "Speed" the company forward. It's so disheartning to see this happen as all the knowledgable, experienced employee's get gone and they replace them with people who don't know doody squat. It's probably Hub boring machine for sprockets, gears, couplings etc.
Yes, it seems to be the trend. As soon as a company is bought out the old blood and all traces of the history are trashed. They only realy want the name.

---------- Post added 10-12-2010 at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-11-2010 at 11:58 PM ----------

I got it from a friend who got it from a Gravely dealer back in the 80's. He said it was setup to bore Gravely L/C model cylinders. I'm hoping to find a manual for operation and parts. I'm into Gravelys and would use it for that. It's a pretty simple machine, but I can't find any info when I search for the info I have. The deacl on the front has been long gone.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:04:57 PM
Registered

Look up serv-equip or winona van norman. These are the companies that your machine evolved into. you are missing the centering parts. It can be done with an indicator, I use both.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prony Man For This Post:
Old 10-12-2010, 06:22:58 PM
Registered

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I'd like to know who made this machine and find out what's missing.

What does the centering parts look like? I have a ring with a mic on it, but I assume that's for setting the cutting tool.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:52:45 AM
Registered

Try a place called precision mfg. and sales in florida they probably sold it when new.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:47:29 PM
Registered

I checked with winona van norman, they didn't know what it was and said it could be an older van norman or a serv-equip. They did tell me the Browning info was for the bearing assembly. I'll try the FL place, thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

The only precision mfg. and sale place I can find in FL sells boat engines. Do you have a webpage for them?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:50:05 PM
Registered

Try Armero, Inc. Clearwater, Florida. They are the parent co. of PMS.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:38:45 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,034 Times in 1,622 Posts

Re: Identifing an old boring machine? Just show it to a woman-all machines are old & boring to most of them...
Old 10-16-2010, 03:02:43 AM
Subscriber

thanks ronm

now l don't have to make that post
and add teenagers to that list
Old 10-16-2010, 02:38:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prony Man View Post
Try Armero, Inc. Clearwater, Florida. They are the parent co. of PMS.
I'll try them. I did find some info when I was cleaning it. The crank handle is embosed on the botom, "Boremaster Tool Corp. Clearwater FL".

I was searching another forum where some body said that PMS no longer supported the boring equipment. I'll call to make sure, maybe they sold off that part of the operation.