Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Hand driven equipment

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2389 times

Old 11-10-2010, 04:08:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,396 Times in 340 Posts
Default Hand driven equipment

Hi all

I have always been interested in metalworking equipment and since a few years I am especially looking for hand driven machines. Got a couple of treadle lathes and a foot powered bandsaw, and last month I picked up this little shaper. Can anyone identify it?

If anyone has hand driven equipment, feel free to post pictures in this thread!

Marcel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	etau1.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	92246  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marcel P For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 05:58:45 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,074 Times in 493 Posts
Default Re: Hand driven equipment

Some tiny machines could be setup either for hand operation or belt drive. The first pic is one such. It would be very rare for a machine this size or larger not to have some option or provision for power drive. I think this was made by Baldwin. The pulleys were removed to use the hand crank. Or the crank was removed to use the belt.

Second is smaller machine and is one of the exceptions in being hand powered only. Resembles a Wheeler in style, but maker unknown.

I had a pair of Boynton and Plumber shapers. I sold both of those and cannot find any photos. That could be hand driven (as an option) but the handles were always removed and the belt pulleys used. Those look a lot like yours. I think I have a pic of a friends machine, I may post that.

Ken Cope published two books. One covered human power machines and another that included small (and large) planers and shapers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Right_reduced.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	92251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	92252  

Last edited by Peter; 11-10-2010 at 06:12:21 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Post:
Old 11-10-2010, 06:03:22 PM
Registered

Here is a Boynton and Plumber, looks like yours is missing the pulleys. You need a copies of all of ken Copes books on antique machinery. I better clarify, This pic is a Boynton, it would predate yours. But you get the idea. They were made in Worcester Mass USA. I dont see to many of these around here. I am surprised to see one in Belgium! I might have a catalog or copy around here. I would have to look.

Here is a link to Amazon, Copes shaper planer book. Note the cover!

http://www.amazon.com/American-Plane...9426653&sr=1-1

Another must own:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Lathe...ref=pd_sim_b_1

and 3rd recommendation:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Foot-...t_at_ep_dpt_10

I own all of Kens books. You can find a page on Amazon dedicated to Ken.

Edit: I found another. This one is a Boynton and Plumber. The legs were option, it could be purchased as a bench top machine.

2nd Edit: After looking at your pics more, I see this is a bigger machine than I first though. I think this is a bigger capacity Boynton and Plumber? They did make a wide variety of sizes. I do highly recommend Copes books, even though they cover American (USA) machinery. I dont know .... it looks like you are standing over it? Maybe you could post more pictures and something for scale.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boynton_6inch_Back.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	92253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boynton_6inch_Front.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	92254   Click image for larger version

Name:	brinkshaper.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	92255  

Last edited by Peter; 11-11-2010 at 08:24:16 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:50:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,396 Times in 340 Posts

Thank you for this useful information, Peter! The shapers in your 2nd post do show some similarities with mine. I found it in France, some 500 miles from my place. The pulley may be missing but ther is no keyway on the shaft. There is a handle on the flywheel which is about 20" diameter. Total height is about 4'. I'll make a picture with someone turning the wheel.
Thanks again
Marcel
Old 11-13-2010, 02:02:41 PM
Registered

Cope has one page of illustrations for Boynton and Plumber. They built these for 30 or 40years in several sizes. Attached below. They look very similar, but I guess this is not a positive ID. I am starting to notice some differences. I suppose it was likely made in Europe. Are the bolts metric?

The handles on the B&P flywheels were usually removed for safety reasons.

It would be helpful for identification, too take a series of photos: front,sides,back and post those as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KenCope.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	92448  

Last edited by Peter; 11-13-2010 at 02:31:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:36:04 PM
Registered

Hi Folks, I came across this forum whilst Googling for info on a 6 inch Boynton shaper that I've just acquired in UK. It's the hand/powered option with the handle. It seems complete apart from the vice - where do they all go? Interestingly most seem to be made by Boynton and Plumber whereas this one is badged as 'E N Boynton Maker Worcester Mass' so presumably is an earlier model? It seems in reasonable working order although I've not yet used it as I haven't made up a vice yet. Has anyone got pictures/drawings of the original vice? Any help/advice much appreciated.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:50:47 PM
Registered

Name:	BOYNTON SHAPER 001.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	92843

Name:	BOYNTON SHAPER 002.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	92844Just noticed I forgot the pictures!
The handle is loosely attached as I'd taken it off to make access easier and just pushed it on for the pics.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:52:00 PM
Registered

Swarf maker, they all came with handles, but the owner would generally remove the handle. If you set up the machine on the belt the handle is an accident waiting to happen. IMHO, almost no body ran these by hand. I think 99% of the users would run these of a belt. The hand wheel might be handy for setup but that little handle is more often gone than the vise. Can you image standing next to that machine with the handle whipping around at 200 rpm? Ouch! It would make a nice display, for fun, to crank it by hand and shave a few thou off a piece of brass.

I posted two photos of a Boynton (like yours), that machine has the vise on it. You are right, that is the early (rare) machine that predated the Boynton and Plumber. I had a B&P with a vise, but I cannot find more photos. My 3rd photo, (outdoors) is one of the Boynton and Plumbers I used to own.

I have a small catalog, If you want a copy and can compensate for time and effort and postage I could make a copy for you.

I recommend for you as well as Marcel: get some of Ken Copes books. He might even have the dates for Boynton.

Last edited by Peter; 11-17-2010 at 10:03:34 PM.