Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Introduction Thread

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1499 times

Old 12-05-2010, 11:56:30 AM
Registered

Default Introduction Thread

Hello everyone,
I've been working on setting up a machine shop in my garage with my cousin for the past couple years. We've acquired quite a few older machines so far.
Here's the list,
Mills:
2 - van norman 1/2
1 - van norman 12
Lathes:
2 - south bend 13"
1 - leblond 16"

The original van norman 12 and one southbend 13 are under power, and the rest were just acquired and in progress of getting setup.

I used to work in a machine shop in highschool, but it's been so long that i'm in the process of re-learning things (reading alot) (when I have time to as I'm usually got a few other projects in the play.)

My garage is quite a mess at the moment with the new (very old) machines that just arrived and the amount of junk I've accumulated as well.

Here are some pics I've snapped along the way (the machines may be missing some parts in the pictures but I actually have them) the van norman for instance does have the horizontal support, just isn't in this picture, and the south bend actually has a tail stock, although just not the correct one for the lathe... but that's not in the picture either. They aren't in the best shape, but I hope to refurb and restore them to a reasonable useful condition (something I enjoy doing) the vice on the van norman was a complete rust pile when I got it and I've refurb it. It gives me a sense of satisfaction to rebuild something that others would throw out but is still quite useful.

Anyway, here's some pics

the vn12

the southbend 13" which is under power

the new machines getting picked up

tentatively in place in the disaster that is currently my garage.

So, I am still learning about these machines (and how to use them) and basically for all intents and purposes a new machinist. I've found a few decent links to info on the van norman's and southbends, but thought i'd say hello here as I've got some old heavy machinery and there seems to be a collection of people who appreciate that here.

If anyone has any suggestions for some books that would help me along my way i'd appreciate it. (i've been scouring used book stores for old machinist books and have aquired a few) so i'm not completely clueless but am always interested in learning

Thanks in advance, and nice to meet everyone!

-Todd
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fuslit For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2010, 01:21:15 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts
Default Re: introduction thread

What's he talking about a mess-I can still see the floor!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 12-05-2010, 01:34:32 PM
Registered

Welcome aboard Todd: I have a Van Norman No. 12 that I have been useing for over 30 years. Good machine. My shop is antiquidated also. I have an early teens Cincinatti Bradford 18" eng. lathe, a 1941 Monarch 10EE Lathe a 1934 Brown & Sharp No. 2 surface grinder and a 1975 Enco 11" bench lathe. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:11:18 PM
Registered

Lindsey publications have some reprints for machinists including one from soutbend.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

You will also want Machinerys hand book available from many places including e-bay.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:41:28 PM
Registered

Not only can you see the floor but he still has wall space. He also hasn't started hanging stuff from the ceiling yet! Tell us exactly where the mess is?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:07:45 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Introduction Thread

As you can tell from the responses your shop has a long way to go before it becomes a mess. If you have room to sit down you have room for another engine or piece of machinery. Good luck with the shop. These old machines were very well built. Even if they have served half of their usefull life the other half may be two human lifetimes of occasional use. My 10" Southbend will outlast me for sure. I am currenlty working on a Kalamazoo industrial band saw that will do the same. Just take care of the equipment and it will serve you well. Age does not matter. It only means that the stuff is well built.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:14:50 PM
Registered

Default Re: Introduction Thread

*grin* thanks for the replies

The goal (such as it is) is to get the machines back to some form of usefulness. Floor space just means I have spots to put the projects *Grin*

as time allows I want to follow a restoration path similar to the sand blaster & dust collector I snagged off of craigslist.

before

after

hopefully I can do something similar with these machines.

-T