Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

HypheuMat Auto drill question

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1584 times

Old 12-06-2010, 10:34:57 PM
Registered

Default HypheuMat Auto drill question

Hello, I was wondering that this type of drill is used for? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MAX12.4.10 030.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	94586  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2010, 09:45:22 AM
Registered

Default Re: HypheuMat Auto drill question

Hypneumat is one of the older companies in the automatic drill business - sometimes called self-feed or self-feeder drill business.

Units like this are used in a number of situations:
  • High volume drilling jobs where a person on a drill press or with a hand drill simply won't work.
  • Automated drilling jobs where you don't want a person there doing the work - i.e. an assembly line at an auto manufacturer, etc.
  • Off-position drilling such as drilling into the underside of a part. The coolant and chips would be all over the user so you stick an automatic drillin there instead.
  • Multi-hole processes. Machines like this can receive attachments so they drill two or more holes at a time.
  • Dangerous drilling jobs. Decommissioning bombs, venting radioactive mercury from a container (actually sold one for this!), etc.
  • ...Similar applications for tapping, reaming, countersinking, counterboring, etc.

The bottom line is that the machine is essentially an automatic drill press that can be run in almost any direction. Hypneumat is an outdated design that is still hanging around because of customer loyalty and a decent product.

There are lower and higher end machines out there as well. Some are much less capable and suited for wood or plastic use only and others are highly capable and robust but sell for tens of thousands of dollars.

In the middle, there are a handful of companies making similar equipment for manufacturers and production houses.

A lot more information on the machines and their uses can be found at http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com. In particular, check out the application examples section.

You can also see more information on the equipment at these sites:

Videos of items in use, explanation videos, etc.: http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill

Facebook page: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

I hope my reply is not considered advertising as I'm simply trying to point you in the right direction for more info. (You should see when I *am* trying to advertise!)

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or reply here as I'll try to follow the thread.

Regards,
Joe AutoDrill

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

I guess the site does not like my TinyURL link to Facebook. for that link, try: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/AutoDrill/61787302225

Regards,
Joe AutoDrill
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoDrill For This Post:
Old 12-07-2010, 11:11:07 AM
Registered

Default Re: HypheuMat Auto drill question

Hello Joe and thanks for the information. A friend has (4) complete and (2) parts drills for sale. I don't have a need for them but I seem to gravitate towards anything with a three phase motor. Thanks again.