Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Paint advice please

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2289 times

Old 12-20-2010, 05:37:06 PM
Registered

Default Paint advice please

I have a scale i.c. model engine (from the Engineers Emporium) based on an Amanco Hired Man and need to re- paint it. I want it in John Deere colours PMS 364 and PMS 128 which are pretty close. Thing is how do I go about getting engine paint in these colours and to make things worse the main castings are alloy which I would guess need some kind of special primer ? I'm ok with engines but know nowt about paint and primers. Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2010, 07:00:38 PM
Registered

Default Re: Paint advice please

First things first, is the alloy you are talking about an aluminum alloy then :
Yellow Zinc Chromate is used on aluminum surfaces where oxidation causes most primers to lift. It should also be recommended for surfaces where the substrate has a tendency to flex due to rapid changes in temperature or lack of support.

Don't know what the temps of the engine will be on your model do know and have been told that some of the paint used on the engines of equipment is just regular paint.

Don't know what kind of auto supplies you have in your area, but I'm sure you guys have the same kind of big box auto stores. the hot thing now a days is painting the brake calipers in colors a very high temp paint.

Any better auto paint supplier should be able to mix up a batch of any color you can supply or get real close. For use on engines or brake calipers. Over here they can even put it into a rattle can if you want.

Here is a link to a web supplier that deals in the UK Primers

High temp

here is all their paints

The only other advice I will give is prep prep prep. A great paint job is in prepping the items. From cleaning and degreasing and removing the oil to only handling the items with gloved hands to keep the skin oil off them. To following all the instructions to the letter for applying and drying, between multiple coats.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:38:11 PM
Registered

Default Re: Paint advice please

Thanks for the advice and link.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Forgot to say it is an alluminium alloy.