Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Seems cheap you get cheap!

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3117 times

Old 04-23-2011, 11:52:24 PM
Registered

Default Seems cheap you get cheap!

Seems with prep and painting if you do it yourself you can run into a host of problems. Even body shops have ther problems at times. We have a shop here that there 2nd to none he did our 1949 Maxam ladder truck . He went to spray some dust off truck and paint came off in strips like sheets of paper. was problem with the paint . He had to do whole truck over. So I've used a rattle can and even that bulbed up on me the other day i let it sit and it seemed to blend in going to let it cure a week or so .

Ronny
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2011, 09:15:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,521 Times in 1,670 Posts
Default Re: Seems cheap you get cheap!

Several years ago Chevrolet had some problems with their paint. I was at a car wash and the gent in the bay beside me stepped over to the bay I was in as I was getting ready to wash my truck. He asked if I would step over to his bay to look at his. He was using the high pressure washer on the hood of his truck and a strip about a foot wide came off the length of the hood. He said he had bought the truck new and it was about 6 months old. He said he was headed to the dealership from the car wash.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:47:47 AM
Registered

I work at a car plant in the UK, our company look after the water for the spray booths, there is a whole lot of things that can affect paint, temp , humidity, even something like aftershave or body spray can cause defects in the finish , anything containing silicon is banned from the paintshop.
Another thing that has just caused in the past is Diesel exhust fumes being drawn into the air supply when trucks have been parked up near the intakes.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Sorry I went off track in the last line, it should have read problems in the past ( been out in the sun ) !
Old 04-24-2011, 02:31:05 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Seems cheap you get cheap!

Most of the paint on todays cars will NOT stand up to even a mild pressure washer. The clear coat used to make the gloss surface is too soft to stay in place with the pressure. My 1996 dodge stripped the clear coat with just 500 PSI. The entire truck had to be repainted. In the mid 1970s, Ford and GM also had paint problems - the paint was not compatable with the primer. The paint peeled off the hood and trunk of my parents Ford Granada, within 2 months after delivery!
Andrew
Old 04-24-2011, 04:26:21 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,137 Posts

It's not the clearcoat. It's the undercoats and wrong prep.
With the government (epa) mandating voc output, the paint manufacturers are having to re-formulate almost on a yearly basis to keep up with regulations. this is why paint and clear is 200.00 a gallon. Not enough time to do any research on compatability. Clean and sand, clean and sand, and then clean again. Don't mix company to company products. It's the best we can do.