Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Rattle Cans Or Brush

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 3339 times

Old 08-25-2011, 08:44:36 AM
Registered

Default Rattle Cans Or Brush

Hello,
I'm near the paint stages on my rebuild, my question is do I use something close in a rattle can or do I have it mixed at a auto paint supply and brush /spray it on.

What brand of rattle cans is everyone using if this is the route you take, and hows it hold up?

If you are having it mixed are you using a single stage or basecoat clear coat coat?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2011, 08:49:09 AM
Registered

Default Re: Rattle Cans Or Brush

what are you working on big engine little what color ?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:51:51 AM
Registered

Sorry, I'm working on a 1 1/2hp IHC model M sparkplug type it will be the green
Old 08-25-2011, 10:49:23 AM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Rattle Cans Or Brush

Either route will work. You now have to be careful with automotive paints, because they can be very toxic. Breathing rattlecan paint is not the best either, but it is better than some others out there! You could brush on an enamel, but some acrylic paints have an extremely fast drying time (like Dupont Centari). I would not use a paint that needs a clear coat, as all the paints I have seen with it do not seem to hold up well, especially after time, sunlight, and heat. The clearcoat degrades and peels off, or it chips easily, and that is a bear to repair nicely. Stay with the enamels.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 08-25-2011, 11:45:38 AM
Registered

No matter which way you go with your paint,I always warm the can in warm to hot water---be careful however as too hot water will give you a spectacular paint job when it explodes!Ambient temperatures are your guide when it is good to paint,happy painting,Norm
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironsides For This Post:
Old 09-04-2011, 11:52:13 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,023 Times in 711 Posts

I have been using plastikote brand spray paint on my engine/equipment restorations. As long as the surface is clean of old paint (wire wheel/bead blast, paint strip) and the surface is clean to the point where no residue is picked up on a paper towel, I have had great success with spray paint.

On high temperature surfaces, mufflers, exhaust manifolds, friction plate/clutch housings I have used VHT paint. Apparently there company name is Very High Temperature. Anyhow, I use the same procedure, except you bake the paint with an oven, or propane torch if you do not have one. This paint is $12 a can, but it doesn't come off easily when its baked in.

The only three downsides I see to spray paint are:
1) you really need to have a surface clean or the paint with expose anything and everything you didn't clean up. As some say, preparation derives success.
2) you need to remove pieces to paint them, unless you plan on painting the whole engine one color.
3) the spray cans just don't hold the amount of paint you would really like them to.

You can see some of my work on 4btswaps, the restoration of my 79' GMC 7000
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...253#post162253

Chris
Old 09-05-2011, 08:44:56 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Rusty:

I've had good luck with Rustoieum brand paint for engines in all but the hottest points. Surface must be clean and free of grease, oil, etc. of course. I've both brushed and sprayed this brand successfully.

The only problem spots on engines are where the exhaust flow heats the iron to a point above the rating of the paint, making it turn brown.

The worst case I had was in trying to use automotive acrylic enamel with hardener. The stuff simply wouldn't dry even after running the engine for hours and letting it cool off.

On the Model T Ford coil tester I'm restoring now, I'm going to use a "non-hardener" auto enamel and apply it by brushing. The paint will be custom matched to an area of original color. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand