Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

EPA at it again (wood burning stoves)

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 7094 times

Old 02-06-2013, 01:47:25 PM
Registered

Default EPA at it again (wood burning stoves)

Any one know if this info has any truth to it?

Quote:
Our ever so helpful government has decided that your wood burning stove is now a danger to the world. In another attempt to outlaw the off grid lifestyle, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the same agency that was recently caught using drones to spy on Americans, is now going after home owners who use Wood Burning Stoves to heat their homes.

Shortly after the re-election of President Obama, the agency announced new radical environmental regulations that threaten to effect people who live off the grid. The EPA’s new environmental regulations reduce the amount of airborne fine-particle matter from 15 micrograms to 12 micrograms per cubic meter of air.

This means that most wood burning stoves would now fall into a class that would deemed unacceptable under these new draconian measures. The EPA has even launched a nifty new website called burn wise to try to sway public opinion.

On their site, while trying to convince people to get rid of their old stoves and buy the new EPA-certified stoves, they sate that these older stove must be scraped and cannot be resold.
http://offgridsurvival.com/epa-woodb...toves-illegal/
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 04:04:55 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,199 Posts
Default Re: EPA at it again

I've got no reason to believe it ISN'T true. I've been hearing for maybe 5 years or more that they're going to outlaw the less clean burning stoves.

And why wouldn't that be true? They've legislated how clean your car can burn, and the new diesels even have to have cow pee additive to clean up the exhaust (urea).

They've now legislated that you MUST have health insurance or pay a fine.
About the ONLY sort of behavior that is protected in America these days is sodomy.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kevin O. Pulver For This Post:
Old 02-06-2013, 04:14:25 PM
Kpack

I don't put anything past the goverment I bet those smoke patrols make a pretty good bit of money too just what I needed to hear today.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:35:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,086 Times in 1,923 Posts

Well,I will use my stove to heat my shop till they come knocking.
I am to the point I am so sick of legislated poverty.You can not get ahead.Heck,most folk heat with wood because the fuel oil,propane and such cost to much and wood is cheap or free because the drought has killed 1000's of trees.I helped my neighbor a while ago snake about 12 logs out for firewood to heat his shop.

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

And it just dawned on me.They want to outlaw the wood stoves because they cant get a fuel tax,sales tax or anything off a wood stove or the firewood.
Same with moonshine.It aint the moonshine they dont like,it is the lack of taxation!

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Well, according to this site,the older stoves are ok to use,but the New 1's must be built to spec.
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hoepareg.htm

Makes some sense since they aint took my 66F100 out from under me Yet.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 02:18:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,160 Times in 378 Posts

The Lewis & Clark Co. health dept. here has implemented a piece of regulation that prohibits burning a wood stove that doesn't meet the EPA 2010 standards on
" low air quality " days.

This dept. had it published in the local paper that would have folks driving around looking for smoke coming out of chimneys.

Cooler Weather Signals Start of Air-Quality Monitoring

On Nov. 1, the health department began daily air-quality monitoring in its annual effort to protect the health of area residents. When air quality is poor, you may be restricted from using solid-fuel burning devices like fireplaces and wood stoves until the public health risk diminishes.

There is a pile of regs on he County web site under Health Dept., The fine list and all is available for viewing.

Mike
Old 02-07-2013, 02:41:51 PM
Subscriber

Mine has been on line for 20 years. Wonder if they are going to have a cash for clunkers program for these?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:19:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,884 Times in 3,748 Posts

If you click on the name of the guy that posted that, (Rob Richardson), you will find that he is the founder & editor of the Off Grid Survival website, posting whatever he wants to post on it, including his personal rants against the government.

I clicked on the Burn Wise link he posted and found the EPA's Burn Wise program which looks to me to be just a lot of the typical Helpfull Hints and Recomendations for wood burners, like what type of wood to burn, how to season it properly, etc.

With hundreds of other links to click on, on the Burn Wise website, it would take weeks to go through it all, but again, what I did see on it so far is just tips and recomendations for newbies wanting to set up wood burning furnaces in their house without burning the house down.

Looks like just more paranoid worrying over nothing.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:16:23 PM
Registered

We already have it here in Oregon. Also if you sell your house and it has an older stove in it which was grand fathered in. You have to remove it and put in a new EPA certified stove before the sale can be completed. This last bit was enacted by our new governor a few months ago.

Richard W.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,086 Times in 1,923 Posts

Well I am trying to fiqure out how the woodstove would be any different.
Is there more air vents as in cant shut air down for the night or something?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:08:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,917 Times in 2,474 Posts
Default Re: EPA at it again (wood burning stoves)

I heat with a Blaze King(Blaze Princess PMJ202),mobile home stove that I bought back in 1980,I used it in the14x70 trailer first, then the 1st house then mothballed it in 1997 untill I bought the double wide I am in now in 2004.I went to a wood stove dealer to get a gasket for it on the door and I knew they had made these illegal back around 85,I thought maybe I might get a coil spring for the damper,NOT AVALIABLE,seems the Gov wont even let them make parts for the older stuff.Well it will burn and then I will make one for it somehow if needed,Its effeceint too 2 big chunks of wood every 3-8hr depending on the temp outside 3hrs when 10 or below,just have to clean the flue once a month regardless of what type of wood you burn....I know another way they are going to make us pay more for wood heat too.YOUR HOUSE ins,they allready come out here to inspect mine,and added a surcharge to my policy about 2 yrs ago,a guy just cant get by anymore at all in this country,trying to save a buck and stay warm......
Old 02-13-2013, 12:43:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblue66 View Post
Well I am trying to fiqure out how the woodstove would be any different.
Is there more air vents as in cant shut air down for the night or something?
Its about increasing combustion efficiency. I got a big no-name woodstove for my Nevada home in 2006, it was sitting against neighbors back fence, he said it burned so hot it chased his family out of the home, I said I'll take it. Anyways I nicknamed it the "Smoke Belcher 2000" , it put out heat, but my chimney looked like a locomotive stack under full power, and burn time was only 4 hours. A few years ago I was looking to upgrade, but could not afford the EPA certified woodstove I wanted, but in the process I read quite a bit about how they were increasing efficiency (and reducing particulates), and decided "I can do that". So I added a fresh air intake, combustion air pre-heating, secondary combustion air ports, and a baffle plate. Since then numerous neighbors have called asking if I had left town, because they CANNOT see any smoke coming out of my chimney, even though the fire is blazing away. Burn time is now 6 hours with wood, and 12 with coal, yes it burns coal with no smoke. It will never pass EPA, at least not without thousands in testing, but it burns longer and hotter, and no longer sucks cold air into the room.

They were proposing some regs in Nevada a few years ago due to air quality in Great Basin National Park, EPA approved woodstoves were included, more than a few of the wingnuts interpreted it as "they are outlawing woodstoves"
Old 02-13-2013, 12:55:09 AM
Registered

Touch my smoaker grill and they will get something they weren't counting on !
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07:42 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,437 Times in 2,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
Its about increasing combustion efficiency. e room.

They were proposing some regs in Nevada a few years ago due to air quality in Great Basin National Park, EPA approved woodstoves were included, more than a few of the wingnuts interpreted it as "they are outlawing woodstoves"
The operative word being ""WINGNUTS"
catalytic cumbustor stoves have been around since the 80's. An attempt to clean up the process and use the fuel more efficiently with out the clouds of heavy smoke full of particulates.

those that see conspiracy in every shadow and are prepared to marry their daughter to continue the human race.
time to get out the tinfoil hats boys & girls
Old 02-13-2013, 06:18:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,054 Posts

There are 2 types of EPA approved woodstoves, the catalytic and non-cats. My original plan was to just add a catalytic element to my woodstove, but then I read in a few places that the catalytic elements tended to clog with pine and cedar woods. So I copied the non-cat design, figured having an outdoor intake would not hurt either. Stove has plate steel doors so I cannot tell what is going on inside, but under the right conditions it goes thermonuclear and I have to start choking back the air intake, which is a 2" ball valve
Old 02-14-2013, 03:46:03 AM
Subscriber

It's a surprising fact that large corporations will take whatever steps they can to increase their profits and reduce their competition. Hard to believe if you've never watched 60 Minutes.

Pushing the EPA to crack down on wood stoves would be money well spent (on lobbyists). Same with those state and federal legislators. Of course if you point out to them all the lost tax revenue, they'll listen alright.

Sounds like a tinfoil story, huh?

I heard an even better one once. This guy said that oil, car and tire companies got together and financed a shell company that went around the US buying up public transportation like tramways and streetcars and then shutting them down.

Who would believe crazy stuff like that anyway?

I do have to say though, that some people who burn indoors or out are their own worst enemies: people burning green wood, plastics, garbage, you name it, rural folk who light up their big smudge pile then let it smoke for days because they couldn't be bothered to tarp it to keep it dry, or wait until the pile is dry. Abuse the right, and then when enough people complain and they loose it, they just say "Oh well", grumble a bit, then forget all about it.

The amount of fuel and time used around here hauling to the municipal dumps what people used to burn in their garden incinerators is simply ridiculous. But, if people can't burn responsibly and with consideration for their neighbours, that's what happens in towns

Last edited by Robt.; 02-14-2013 at 03:57:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robt. For This Post: