Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

Black Diesel

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 37027 times

Old 10-24-2008, 10:04:33 AM
Registered

Default Black Diesel

I saw an ad today on Craig’s list about this and went to the address oiltofuel.com, but it is selling plans for it and doesn’t give any real info. It talks of processing used oil to use as fuel. Has anyone read about this or doing this? I work at a dealer, and run used trans fluid 60/40 in my 00 7.3l Ford, but can get almost an endless supply of clean used oil if this process works good.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2008, 10:22:51 PM
Registered

Default Re: Black diesel

havent heard from anyone, does anyone know of a process to use used engine oil to make fuel other than burning it straight?
Old 10-25-2008, 10:32:53 PM
Subscriber

I've heard of a sawmill in our area that used to mix it 50-50 in the summer time. Used it in their trucks and forklifts. They didn't do it in the winter time because it would separate. The key is clean oil.

Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick McKay For This Post:
Old 10-28-2008, 11:00:45 AM
Registered

I have experimented with it a little with older military diesel engines. I wouldn't have any idea how it would effect newer ones. Take old motor oil/trans fluid, filter it WELL, WELL, WELL, [ good filters at biodiesel kit suppliers ] then we ran it 20-1 [ 20 gal. new fuel to 1 gal filtered oil ] Seems like we got it up to 10-1 , later w/o problems. Also, added a little diesel fuel conditioner .New filters on engine a must!
Remember- do this at your own risk.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:15:11 PM
Registered

I filter and run used trans oil at 50/50 % and sometimes more in the summer and 70/30% winter with no problems. A friend w/ a 96 7.3l runs 100% trans in the summer with no problem here in texas. I just wonder how bad engine oil would smoke or if it will burn well. The web site i saw talked as if you process it some,but im not sure.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:38:24 PM
Registered

I am a maintenance manager for an fairly large independent fleet. We produce about 2500 gallons of waste oil every month. The oil is picked up by a recycling company that refines the waste oil into diesel.
The fuel that is produced does not meet the Department of Transportation or EPA standards, but is adequate for marine use where regulations aren't so strict.
The Following User Says Thank You to moh58 For This Post:
Old 03-06-2009, 07:12:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,129 Posts

Over at listerengine.com we have a forum dealing with used motor oil as a diesel substitute, lots of info on other fuel sources too ! Paul.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:32:42 AM

Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,200 Posts
Talking Re: Black diesel

The real trick to using Used LubeOil as Diesel Fuel, is to Filter it clear down to 5 microns,as ANY Particulate Matter in the Used Oil will quickly erode your Injector Pump precision parts and your Injector Tips. You also need to run it thru a deAcidfier, to remove the Sulfuric Acid, OR, never use more than a 20:1 Ratio Mix, with regular diesel. If you don't do that, your Fuel System will be Acid Etched, fairly quickly, as ALL the Acid products of diesel combustion end up in the LubeOil.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:14:15 AM
Registered

What i use is used trans oil, so i dont think the acidity is so high, i do filter 3 times though to get clutch/band material out.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:07:02 AM
Richard Sturdy

Default Re: Black Diesel

Although waste engine/trans oil can be re-refined and cracked to produce excellent diesel fuel, this is a complex industrial process and requires a large scale and very expensive installation. However, it is possible to produce "black diesel" as a substitute fuel for diesel engines, by deacidifying selected used engine/trans oils and blending with a proportion of kerosene to adjust the viscosity to 35 seconds Redwood No 1, then force filtering down BELOW 5 microns, to remove abrasive particles which would ruin any injection equipment. Such "fuel" is better confined to older, less sophisticated engines in which it will work ok if you are very careful with the processing, but I certainly would NOT recommend using it in your new BMW!!. Actually, kits for the process used to be available for use in some African countries.

Tricky Dickie
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 04-12-2010, 09:35:12 PM
Registered

What you need to make "black diesel" is a centrifuge to remove the sludge and metal particles. www.simplecentrifuge.com It works good for cleaning almost any kind of oil. Veggie, transmission, motor, hydraulic, etc.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:36:19 AM
Registered

Blending used oil in fuel seems to work much better in precombustion type diesels. My 1HZ Toyota engine tolerates 20 or 30% filtered used engine oil very well, but several trials in my direct inject motors (Perkins etc.) have resulted in heavy buildup of carbon on nozzle tips after only a few hours run. Had to pull injectors and brush off carbon to clear the smoke cloud and restore performance. Just one guy's experience, but have heard the same from others. Regards, Combustor.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:07:03 PM
Registered

To Extract Diesel Fuel from Wast Engine oil and have it be safe for normal life of the diesel engine is to distill off the alkanes that is in the range of diesel leaving all of the dirty oil waste and the Paraffin, hydrocarbons that make the engine oil behind to turn in to grease and dispose of the rest no other form of burning waste engine oil in a diesel engine is safe for the Injectors and pump no matter how fine you filter it, just cause it runs dont mean its harmless to the components I have seen used Waste Oil Refinery Stills and hardware for about 10,000.00 and a small Homegrown for sale propane powered still kits for around 3,000.00 But this form does not meet EPA and other requirements as It still is high in sulfur and will contain hydrocarbons that are left from Gas engine combustion that distillates with the diesel from the waste oil.
For the record I run Waste engine oil through 3, 1.7 Micron filters @ from 500 psi to 1600 psi depending filter restriction and dump it in my tractors and truck @ 60% Diesel 30% Waste engine oil 10%Kerosene
Old 04-19-2010, 03:01:53 AM
Subscriber

Sounds like it would be a lot better to burn the waste oil in the furnace and burn the furnace oil in the diesel!

Not to mention vegetable oil. Anyone tried a blend of WVO and WMO (Waste Motor Oil)?

Definitely agree on the centrifuge. A gravity filter using tight paper towel rolls as the element should work well.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:38:52 PM
Registered

If you have a Ford 7.3, you might be interested in Dino Fuel Alternatives kit for Fords to run Veggie Oil (and I think many other oils). www.dinofuelalternatives.com I have a kit on my 04 Excursion thru which I burn stright vegetable oil after I have filtered and settled it. The kit is expensive but it works very well in all climates. They have a forum so you could ask about hydraulic, motor oil, etc. Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:19:42 AM
Registered

Centrifugal filtering is probably the best way to remove particles down to 1 micron. To do a proper job, the WMO should be heated above the boiling point of water, pumped slowly through alkaline clay packed around a filter element and then into a continuous process liquid centrifuge. U.S.FilterMaxx makes a good one for the purpose but there are others or you can build your own. The alkaline clay filters out some of the carbon and reacts with any acids in the oil. The centrifuge removes nearly all dense particles as well as any clay which slips past the filter element. Any water which makes it through the filter is above it's boiling point and flashes to steam as the oil exits the spinning bowl and sprays as a fine mist against the inside of the centrifuge container wall. It's best to have a little air flow moving through the centrifuge containment vessel to carry off any steam. From there on, it depends on the type of injection pump, engine design, temperature and compression ratio how much black diesel you can run mixed with regular diesel or straight. Slow turning, large bore engines usually will run fine on straight black diesel without problems. Newer, high speed, electronically injected automotive diesels usually don't like much more than 10 or 15% I have a customer with a Witte 120 diesel generator which has run on nothing but WMO, about 12 hours a day for roughly 16 years without any problems. We milled heads for a higher compression ratio about 10 years ago which improved the fuel efficiency about 12%. Otherwise, no modifications were needed. One guy in an injector shop said that Standyne pumps seem to last longer on clean engine oil than they do on the new, low sulfur diesel fuel. The sulfur was an extreme pressure lubricant which is now removed from EPA approved diesel fuel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocket scientist For This Post: