Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Stover V Hit and Miss Engine

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 6024 times

Old 05-02-2012, 05:18:01 PM
Registered

Default Stover V Hit and Miss Engine

Hi to everyone,
I'm the new guy on the block. I've been registered on this forum for over a year, but never posted before.
But now is the time. I've been interested in getting involved in the hit and miss scene for quite a while.

Well, now I have a reason to post. I just bought a Stover V model on eBay. It was located close enough to me to drive over today and pick it up.

I think I came out OK on this deal, but I'm sure going to need a lot of help from all you gurus out there to guide me along as I try to bring this engine back to life.

I've been studying up on hit and miss principals for quite a while now, knowing that sooner or later I was gonna jump in the deep end. And now I have!

Here's what I know now after looking the engine over for a couple of hours.
The piston is free. Some compression, but I have no way to
know how much compression is enough for it to run.
It appears that all parts are present and nothing is broken.
The intake valve sucks it's self in when turning the crank over.

I took out the ignitor to take a look, and it appears good except for the fact that it could use new points.
A tip on where to buy these would be great.

I'm also assuming that since there are no signs of where a Magneto would mount, it means that this was a low tension
type spark. It came with what I believe to be a lo tension coil
like the ones I've seen being sold on the old engine sites.
Hopefully someone can fill me in on this issue.

I would also appreciate any comments about publications that I can buy to help me with my new adventure.

I'm retired and have my own machine shop on my property.
I'm a retired motorcycle racer, so I'm familiar with engines and how to work with them. However, these Hit and Miss engines I've never dealt with before, so I have lots to learn
from the members of this site.

My guess is that someone did a restoration on this engine in the past. And most likely a good number of years has passed since it was restored and run.

I've included some photos of my engine. Just took them a few
minutes ago.

From my research, it appears that everything but the muffler may be correct.

Looking forward to all comments!

Regards,
George Taylor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0341b.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	134523   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0342b.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	134524   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0344b.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	134525   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0345b.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	134526  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to George Taylor For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,361 Posts
Default Re: Stover V Hit and Miss Engine

Welcome George,
That's a nice find. Ralph B. Carter was a distributor in NY that sold Stover engines and maybe other brands as well. Your engine manufactured in 1914. Your gas tank does not appear to be original. They are normally round.
Rule of thumb is if you give the flywheels a flip against compression and they bounce back, then you have enough compression to start & run. When you first start your engine have a plan to quickly stop it(open a switch or disconnect battery wire) if something goes wrong, Good luck with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 07:30:32 PM
Registered

Very nice engine you found. And welcome. Looks like all you will need is a round tank. Not sure my tired eyes are correct on the serial number; so I will offer the information this way: 12/31/1913 ended with #57719 and 12/31/1914 ended with #66430. If I am reading the number correctly as 559**, it would be a 1913 --first year of production. All information from Wendel's book on Stover history.

Happy cranking
The Following User Says Thank You to ar2stp48 For This Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02:25 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,578 Times in 900 Posts

Welcome to the stak. nice engine. My stover is a CT2 and newer than yours. I do not know much about that stover. Bill K
The Following User Says Thank You to oldproff For This Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 11:33:15 PM
Registered

From the looks of your ignitor, your engine probably never had a magneto., and used batteries and low tension coil. As for the ignitor points, they don't have to be nearly as good as modern points to work well. Just file them or use emery paper to get a good contact surface. They should be adjusted to be open at rest, then close before snapping open when the trip slips off. They should trip at about 10 degrees before TDC. I don't think that there is a manual available for the V model, but there is a generic Stover book that should tell you everything you really need to know to get it running.
If you e-mail Joe Maurer at toadhill@aeroinc.net and give him the serial number, he can check the records for when and to whom it was shipped. Good luck with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Martin For This Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 09:41:14 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,018 Times in 236 Posts

Hi George,
Welcome to the hobby
Everybody has given you great information allready and that is the way it works on here.
My first engine was a 1 1/2hp Stover K. Nice little engine to start with. The 1hp V are alittle hard to find, so nice start.

Galan
The Following User Says Thank You to Galan Hackman For This Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05:58 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Stover V Hit and Miss Engine

Hey George,

Nice engine!!!

I bought a Stover "V" for my son when he was 2 years old and he is 12 now. He can actually start it by himself now. I posted a link below of some video taken by Fred VanHook at Portland back when my son was 8 years old. These engines really run nice for a small engine. Welcome to the hobby and thanks for sharing your story!!!

Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOqc14UGIJk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony Leonard For This Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 03:13:29 PM
Registered

Thanks to everyone that has already commented on my posting.
I appreciate all the valuable help.

I checked the compression as suggested by Doug and the crank popped right back.
I'm going to carefully clean the ignitor and associated linkage an set to trigger at 10 degrees before top dead center.

George
Old 05-03-2012, 05:03:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,884 Times in 3,748 Posts

I guess they would call it a 'Belated' Welcome Aboard as your join date is 2007 but this is your first posting.

As Tom Martin noted and provided a link for you, Joe Maurer has been maintaining the Stover Registry and can look your engine up for you and provide you with the shipping record information as to where it originally shipped and when. Obviously it shipped to the Ralph B. Carter Co., in New York City, but Joe can tell you the date it shipped from the factory, and maybe even how it was originally set up. Some of the log book entries show what type of igniton the engine had and some don't depending on who originally recorded it when it shipped and if there were different options for that engine. If the previous owner contacted Joe about the engine, it may already be on the registry, but he can update it with you as the current owner. If it isn't on there yet, it would sure be a welcome addition with that tag on it.

Joe has also been writing a series of Stover articles in Gas Engine Magazine for the last couple years and has the registry linked to GEM's website. They have a bi-monthly magazine dedicated to gas engines of all makes and models including Stover. It's a bit pricey at $33.00 a year for 6 issues, but those of us that get it enjoy it.

I've never seen one with that tag on it before. Stover shipped engines world wide and to many different companies, but that's a new one to me.

You did good buying that one.

Last edited by OTTO-Sawyer; 05-03-2012 at 07:52:15 PM. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 05-05-2012, 11:45:00 AM
Registered

I've posted a couple of pictures I took at the Mt Dora, Fl. vintage boat meet back in 06.
This was the first hit and miss engine I had ever seen running.
And is directly responsible for my purchase of "Miss Stover" as I have named her.
And as a side note, I'm a collector of vintage racing boats and motors like the ones I raced in my youth.
Regards,
George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1888b.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	134685   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1890b.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	134686