Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Back to play time, Economy, Hercules, Associated, Waterloo...

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2116 times

Old 05-16-2012, 05:49:50 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,191 Times in 861 Posts
Smile Back to play time, Economy, Hercules, Associated, Waterloo...

Hello to Everyone,

I just got back from University for my summer holidays last Friday and it just so happened we had some new toys to pick up on Sunday Not that I didn't already have enough toys to last out the summer we just got 3 more.

The first a 2 1/2hp Economy Model 'E', it's a sweet original engine I just spent this afternoon oiling it down and it came up real good, some parts have more paint than others but the flywheels and base are like new. The red paint really glows. I thought I might try to see if it runs so I put a little gas in the carb and pulled on the flywheels, second time the webster tripped it fired straight up and jumped in the air so I grabbed the latch and let it coast to a stop. I think its safe to say 'it runs' even if it only fired once.

We dug out a cart for it we just happened to have but it's not quite complete, just need some axles now. In the picture it has 1 5/16 axles from a smaller truck when it should be 1 3/8 so the wheels are a little on the loose side but we were just checking out how it looked. The channel we found is only 42" long not 54 like it should be but it is original 3" 'Illinois' channel and we don't have room about the place for 12" of steel so that's a good job. Hopefully we can source some axles from our steel stock and then make the adapter plates to suit the engine and have this little project finished.

Joe
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LarrapMan For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2012, 05:57:27 PM
Registered

Default Re: Back to play time, Economy, Hercules, Associated, Waterloo...

Some more pictures of the Economy -

Old 05-16-2012, 06:07:53 PM
Registered

On to the Waterloo/Faultless/John M Smyth/Whatever you like, I haven't really done anything to this it was looking kinda dusty and sorry for itself so I oiled it down and that brought some colour back to the paint and decals but haven't cleaned it at all. The back end is still covered in grease and dirt. Found out an oiler for it which suits it well and that's all really. Put some gas in, hooked up a battery and it fired straight up and ran like a top 'Faultless'

The skids are kind of in bad shape BUT they are the original skids so it's staying on them. We do have a cart for it but it would need new timber to get it together so it's staying like this until it's completely rotted off, which will most likely be a while.

Just need to find a ball muffler and crank gaurd, see if one turns up on feebay or get some castings, not in a big rush about that it's looking 'nice' already. Sounds good too!

The Following User Says Thank You to LarrapMan For This Post:
Old 05-16-2012, 06:14:39 PM
Registered

Thanks for sharing! I enjoy seeing your engines either on the stak or the tube. Awesome collection.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:21:55 PM
Registered

Thanks Jon, hope to get these on the tube later too

Old 05-16-2012, 06:30:55 PM
Subscriber

What make of a cart is the econmy on? I just got a cart like it and was wondering what it went to. I also have a economy 2 1/2 on it right now. I need a cylinder and hopper and igniter bracket for the one I'm working on.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:32:58 PM
Registered

One of the other engines I had a tinker with was the Portable 6 Mule Team. A while ago I wired up the dual ignition switch and got given an original coil which was just floating around in the tool box. I thought to make it a little more genuine looking the coil should be mounted somewhere so I added in a little divider to the box so it sits neatly behind it with all the wires leaving space beyond for a battery or 'cells' to be lined up.

I think that it looks a little more genuine now, I would still like to find some 'cells' to go in there too, just for fun.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:40:08 PM
Registered

You might have just noticed my new wrench It arrived in a box with the engines, I bought it off US feebay a few weeks ago. Remember the one which had been re-listed a million times when you searched for 'Associated' at about $40, well I did a little negotiation and thought may as well give the seller a break.

Perhaps someone else more experienced with wrenches knows but I didn't think there was much chance of it being genuine 'Associated'. I mean its just a wrench from Iowa right. Well funnily enough it fits (or did before it got used heavily for 100 years) just about every nut and bolt on the engine. It's a little on the loose side now the sides have sprained out but it would have been a perfect fit once...

The smaller end fits the igniter and most others while the larger end fits the big end and main bearings. It's not quite big enough for the head nuts and not quite small enough for the mag bolts but that is just about all it don't fit. Pretty pleased with that!

Old 05-16-2012, 06:46:18 PM
Registered

I can tell you a little on the economy: I got that engine in 2006 from a fellow who found it in a barn near Winamac, In. It had not been run for years. At first glance, it appeared there wasn't any paint on it. After many hours of elbow grease, I was pleased about how it looked. A good runner too. After playing with it awhile, I sold it to buy something else
The Following User Says Thank You to Zach Nagel For This Post:
Old 05-16-2012, 06:55:42 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kreiner View Post
What make of a cart is the econmy on? I just got a cart like it and was wondering what it went to. I also have a economy 2 1/2 on it right now. I need a cylinder and hopper and igniter bracket for the one I'm working on.
Hello Steve, The Economy cart is an Electric Wheel Company truck. They are correct for the Engine and have slightly thinner rims than the ones used on Associated's by about 1/4". But they used them on LOTS of engines, Joe.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Just another thing I played with...

In the box of many things was a really nice Hercules ball muffler for the little E. I switched the fittings around and got it on right with the original elbow, just what the engine needed.

Also switched the oiler on it, I think this one is more suited to a Hercules that's completed another little project.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LarrapMan For This Post:
Old 05-16-2012, 07:09:49 PM
Registered

Another nice surprise out of the box of goodies... it didn't have an engine attached unfortunately but there is one heading this way.

The third engine that came this time was this little Aermotor, I had it going just to say I had and it ran really nice. Some friends are interested in it and hopefully we can pass it on at the weekend.

I know some will be wondering how we keep finding the room for all of these toys, unfortunately its got to the stage where we can't! These two are living outside and a few are heading on their way in the next few weeks, just keeping everything turning...

Well thats about ALL i've done in the last 3 days!!!! Oh I did tune up 3 other engines too including an IHC Famous someone else had spent about a year trying to get running! A couple hours later I got it purring, just wrapped a tuna can around the carb

Joe

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

I forgot to say Thanks to everyone for sending the toys! Joe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LarrapMan For This Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 11:27:37 AM
Registered

The Economy is all done, put some petrol in and it runs sweet, good job Zach

Joe
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LarrapMan For This Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 12:11:35 PM
Registered

Some pictures of the engine and cart...

Joe
Old 05-23-2012, 12:19:19 PM
Registered

I need that one to go with my matching 5hp. They appear to be in about the same condition... I wish I had better pics - these are old ones before digital cameras got decent. It's been so long since I looked it up, but I'm pretty certain this one is 1918, too. This one is my sweetest running hit n miss.

http://www.smokstak.com/gallery/file.../7/economy.jpg

http://www.smokstak.com/gallery/file...7/economy2.jpg

Last edited by JBarnes; 05-23-2012 at 12:31:08 PM. Reason: had posted the pics, but decided it might confuse the thread so I linked instead