Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Broke easy-out off in cylinder

this thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 6599 times

Old 08-18-2012, 12:04:12 AM
Registered

Default Broke easy-out off in cylinder

I'm not a machinist and don't have welder or torches. I tried to drill out easy out but don't have drill bit that will hardly make a dent in that hard steel . The gold metal around easy out is brass fitting I was trying to get out. Now I'm really in trouble. How can I drill this bugger out.

Ronny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6556.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	142697  
The Following User Says Thank You to ronny p 148 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2012, 12:19:58 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Broke easy out off in cylinder

Hi,
For my ownself, I wouldn't use a EZ-out on brass. They seem to just swell the brass and break. It's quicker and easier to take the fitting out using a caping chisel. Usually you can cut the brass down to the threads in a couple places and the just pick it out. My 2˘.
Rex.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rex Wellendorf For This Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 12:22:08 AM
Subscriber

Drill it out, you can't. If you have a dremmel tool, use a diamond burr and carefully cut the easy out into small pieces. Take your time and you will get it removed.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Tremble; 08-18-2012 at 02:13:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Tremble For This Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 12:39:26 AM
Registered

I have a dremel but where do you purchase a diamond burr ? is that what it is called when I ask for it? I went on utube and a fella used a cobalt drill to drill one out . Will this work in a brill press for accuracy ?

Ronny

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Rex I'm in deep do do now was going to do it your way thought it would work using the I call it a Hard out now !!

Ronny
The Following User Says Thank You to ronny p 148 For This Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 02:16:18 AM
Subscriber

[QUOTE=ronny p 148;803598]I have a dremel but where do you purchase a diamond burr ? is that what it is called when I ask for it? I went on utube and a fella used a cobalt drill to drill one out . Will this work in a brill press for accuracy ?

You don't use it in a drill press. Use it in the dremmel tool. You can find them at any major hardware or tool store.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Tremble For This Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 03:10:38 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,944 Posts

Is it a thru hole to the other side?
If so, I would work from that end and try to back it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 04:38:06 AM
Registered

I've had some good success in the past at removing broken easy outs and studs by clamping a steel nut over the broken piece and mig welding through the hole in the nut onto the end of the easy out, then building up the height of the broken piece with weld until weld material fills the nut. After cooling I simply turn the nut with a spanner (the easy out has a left handed spiral) so it will be in the direction as if to screw in and the broken piece comes straight out. Sometimes the weld is no good but nuts are cheap, try again until it comes out
The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Hayes For This Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 07:25:08 AM
Registered

I don't have welder is there a drill bit that will drill this hard metal out. I know nothing I have will touch the easy out. this old compressor not worth taking to a machine shop to have them take it out.

Ronny
Old 08-18-2012, 08:21:49 AM
Subscriber

Ok, you have a dremel,

Look for a 1/8" shank carbide burr, there are many shapes to choose from.
You will have the best luck with one of these. A diamond plated burr is more likely to plug up if you get into the brass.
You can try taking a punch and drive the (EZ)-not- out through the hole.
When removing pipe threads, the best remover tool that I have used over the years, is a Ridgid pipe extractors, thats the brand name. (Rigid)
Or, you can just send it to me, piece of cake, Lol

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Give me a call.
740-272-1680 Dale
Old 08-18-2012, 08:53:59 AM
Registered

Easy job. Drop on over Monday morning and I will spark erode it out for you. 20 minute job
Old 08-18-2012, 09:52:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,890 Times in 3,753 Posts

If I read one of your posts right, you DO have a drill press ????

If so, I would take a 1/16 or 1/8 inch drill bit and drill a series of closely spaced holes around the broken easy out, pop it out, and then carefully chisel out the remaining brass.

I would have suggested burning it out with an EDM (or Spark Erode) as Ray suggested, but since he is in Australia, I'm guessing you won't be dropping it off at his place.

Small drill bit, and carefully spaced holes around the perimeter will get both pieces out though using what you have.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 10:41:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,521 Times in 1,670 Posts

I've had a similar problem a couple of times in the past. What I've done thats worked both times is take a Dremel cut off disc and use it to cut a small notch in the broken off easy out. Then take a small chisel and use it to twist the easy out. If you're able to move it only a fraction of a turn it will losen up and fall out due to its taper and the twist that is on the shank.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:44:09 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Otto:

Don't you mean to say to drill the brass and not the Easy Out? In my experience (I broke one once!), the easy outs are very, very hard and that's why they tend to snap off if you get too energetic with them.

You could take a small drill bit and drill a bunch of holes in the brass to weaken it. Maybe then, the Easy Out will be loose enough to pick out.

The nut and welding idea should also work. In addition, the heat will draw at least some of the temper out of the Easy Out so you may be able to drill it if the nut/weld idea fails.

The other day, tapping a 10-32 thread in steel (the last operation on a fairly complicated part) I snapped the tap. It took me an hour but, after making a tool, I worked it out.

The tool I made was made from the end of a broken drill bit (I've got a selection of 'em). What I did was to select a bit that was just a little larger in diameter than the hole the tap was in.

I ground the end of the chuck end of the bit flat then, using a cut-off disc in my trusty Dremel, I shaped a two prong fork that would just go beside two of the flutes of the (two flute) tap.

Working it back and forth, I first got the tap to move a little then worried at it until the tap came out.

I always hate it when I get too energetic and do something stupid. I tend to do that more often than I'd like.

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 10:49:28 AM
Registered

Have used nitric acid to eat away the brass. Will not hurt the steel. Use care!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jake Jacobs For This Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 10:56:06 AM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,200 Posts

If you can find someone who is good with a cutting torch, just blow the brass out. The cast iron doesn't want to melt, and the brass easily will. I've even seen guys blow broken bolts out of cast iron. It works because of the vastly varying melting/oxidizing points. And there ARE bits that will cut ezy outs. I don't know what they are, but once had a guy remove for me an ezy out which was broken out in a brake caliper bleed screw and then WELDED OVER! (I didn't do it) He said the drill bit threw sparks the whole time! The welding a nut on it idea above is a good one too, as is the cutting a slot in it with diamond cutter.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:07:21 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,445 Times in 937 Posts

Unless you've got an unusually cheap chinese harbor freight ez-out, you're never gonna drill it out. I'm sure there are drill bits that can do the job but they will be expensive and if you slip they will cut through the wrong stuff like a blowtorch through butter. I'd do like they said, go to the hardware store and buy -several- of the carbide burrs, and start eroding away at the ez-out till it's ready to leap out on it's own. This may take hours!

Other things you can try-do you have a propane plumbers torch? they are cheap and one would probably heat the brass up enough to relax the death grip on the ez-out.

Robert
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 11:16:24 AM
Registered

Thanks fellas for all the suggestions I'm going to wait to take it to shop where I drive truck and head mechanic is going to weld nut on top of easy out . an old millwright I called in mass said next time cut hack saw blade in 2 or 3 pieces slice it length wise with pair of tin snips to fit in hole in brass carefully saw through brass and collapse brass pick it out with chisel. I'm in hobby but am very limited as to knowledge to over come these obstacles.

Ronny
Old 08-18-2012, 12:35:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,348 Times in 682 Posts

I like the Judges Idea best in this particular case.Form a slot into the easy out like a screw slot..using the dremel cutoff wheels.Maybe stack two wheels together to make the slot a bit wider.Then grind a screw driver bit to fit the slot as best you can.If you can't twist it out..use tommys suggestion and use a small chisel to turn the easy out.
After you get it out..throw all the easy outs in the garbage can
Old 08-18-2012, 01:52:09 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Bowman View Post
After you get it out..throw all the easy outs in the garbage can
Good advice, I gave up on easy outs 40 years ago when I realised that they cannot and will not ever work, think about it, the tapered spiral expands the broken piece making it tighter in the hole, the harder you turn the thing the more it expands the broken piece increasing the friction, broken tools and much frustration are the only outcome possible with these crappy things, into the bin with them, either that or give any you still have to someone you don't like...
The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Hayes For This Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 02:46:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,181 Times in 2,061 Posts

I use easy-outs all the time, quite successfully, just got to be gentle and patient. One of the college kids that uses my shop snapped off a manifold bolt a few weeks ago, on a transverse mounted engine. Made a pilot adapter for the drill bit to keep it centered, had to use a 90 degree drill attachment to drill it out, a shot of PB, tap the easy-out in and slowly start working it out. I've broken some, any time I do it for someone else it comes with a full explanation of what can go wrong and what work will be required to fix it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post: