Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Coolspring Half-Breed pics.

this thread has 30 replies and has been viewed 2553 times

Old 06-21-2004, 05:44:46 AM
tremel

Default Coolspring Half-Breed pics.

Attended CS on Friday and Saturday. I was a little disapointed in the lack of featured engines as well as the early pull-out. Not counting the breeds in the engine shed, there was only about 15 or so in the field. Also, I don't understand why folks left so early. Saturday was a great day (Weather wise), but most of the vendors had pulled out by noon.

Typically, I can only make a show on Saturday or Sunday, but most shows seem to be durring the week. I don't understand this... I guess I'll just have to wait another 35+ years until I can retire before I can really enjoy the shows.

Anyway, I posted some pics of the half-breeds in the field. There were some real nice ones.

Anyone know who owns the 4 cycle halfbreed running along the woods? That was a real nice engine...

Coolspring 2004 halfbreed engines
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2004, 06:16:06 AM
Craig Prucha

Default Re: Coolspring Half-Breed pics.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for putting the photos up. I too had a great time at the show and enjoyed all the half breeds that showed up. The 4 cycle half breed along the woods is owned by Chris Austin from Kittaning, Pa. (not sure of the spelling) Keep in mind a lot of people pull out of Coolspring early due to the distance they have to travel. We are lucky enough to live within 4 hours of Coolspring. Well take care, Craig...

Antique Gas Engine WebSite
Old 06-21-2004, 08:29:09 AM
peter

Default Coolspring off my short list.

I think there is a growing number of people who attend cool spring for buy&sell reasons. The fleamkt mentality is too arrive early. And now point in staying beyond saturday afternoon? In the past I would drive very late night friday, attend all day saturday and take a leasurely 9 hr ride home sunday. I'll be dam... if I am going to take a week vacaton just to try and guess what day the real coolspring show is. Sounds like coolspring has gone the way of those big midwestern swap meets. Sorry, I have to work for a living.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:55:00 AM
Leonard Keifer

Default Half-Breed?

Educate me. What exactly is a half-breed engine?

Nice pictures.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:29:40 AM
Orrin Iseminger

Default Re: Half-Breed?

A half-breed is a steam engine that has been converted to an internal combustion engine.

The conversion was usually accomplished by replacing the steam cylinder with a jacketed cylinder and piston assembly. The finished product used the original frame and flywheel of the steam engine. Thus, it was half steam and half IC engine: half-breed.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:32:33 AM
peter

Default Re: Half-Breed?

A half breed started out as a steam engine. The engine was later converted to gas engine. Because the gas comes from the oil well,( a nice freebe energy source); this was a popular conversion.

This was how bessemer started out. They built a cylinder to replace the steam cylinder. Typically a heavier flywheel was substituted or added to smooth out running of the gas engine.

These are interesting to show and fairly inexpensive way to get a nice big engine to play with.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:48:14 PM
Richard C. Seyfang

Default Re: Coolspring off my short list.

Good old cool springs; every year same ole postings. I have not been to Cool springs for four years and will probably not return. I have seen that place evolve from a neat engine show/swap meet into a place that a bunch of self proclaimed engine gooroo's call home or should I say Paul Harvey's circle of suck up's. I know of two guys in that circle that are "O K" Styles Bradley and Mike Fuoco. All the rest get off hanging around the library late at night rubbing Paul's belly. As for the show itself I have never understood how the dates work out to be on fathers day weekend. Maybe the belly rubber's are not fathers or very good ones. As most people that know me know that the circle I hang in are of true engine collectors and lovers of them. we aint got the fanciest of rarest but ours have a good home and go to a better grade of show than Coolsprings. Two good friends of mine (Ed and Donna) attend coolsprings and like it just fine it just aint my kind of show.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:35:17 PM
enginenut

Default Re: Coolspring off my short list.

by coverting the steam engine to gas, you did not need the danderous boiler. and some times it was cumbersome to drag the boiler around.todays boilers can be made safer, engine nut
Old 06-21-2004, 10:37:44 PM
Doug Waggonner

Default Re: Half-Breed B.D. Tillinghast

I found a B.D. Tillinghast at a local scrap yard a few months ago. I'm not sure what it is. Either a steam engine or a compressor. I dont think it was ever a gas engine. I will try to post some pictures of it in the next week or so. I had to have it because its a double acting tandem. Anyone out here know what I'm talking about?
Old 06-21-2004, 10:45:27 PM
Mike in NC

Check with Zach from this board. I think he has one or had one. I think that they are a gas engine. There was a write up in Gas Engine Magazine a couple years ago about one.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:10:28 PM
Don C. Wiley

Here's a 50 HP Bessemer that is a half-breed, The cylinder has a seal at the bottom (like a steam engine) and the cross head so the "rod" doesn't have to move up and down.

This is Jim and Gary's engine and it's getting about ready to go to a show. The first show will probably be Pinckneyville, Illinois, the third week end in August. August 19-20-21-22

Stover will be featured and the 5 HP YC that I have just finished should be there. I will try to get a pictrue of the Stover on Harry's tomorrow.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois

Old 06-21-2004, 11:42:54 PM
Chuck Balyeat

Default another B.D. Tillinghast ....

Theres some Tillie shots on this page . Pay no mind to the dead birds . What you found is intensely cool , I trust you didnt leave it on the pile.... The price of scrap is getting stuff busted up fast .

Portland photos
Old 06-21-2004, 11:53:55 PM
zach williams

Default Re: another B.D. Tillinghast ....

Now here is a halfbreed for ya! 15hp tillinghast on 1875 farrar and trefts steam engine bed plate! Our engine!

Zach

Old 06-21-2004, 11:59:41 PM
zach williams

Our other tillinghast halfbreed, its a 20hp. Its under restoration now.

Zach,

check with bill as well, he has a lot of info on tillinghast and dcu

Old 06-22-2004, 12:01:49 AM
zach williams

yet another one, we havnt pulled this one out yet

Old 06-22-2004, 12:03:37 AM
zach williams

the british tillie

Old 06-22-2004, 12:05:32 AM
zach williams

one owned by bill tremel

Old 06-22-2004, 12:06:49 AM
zach williams

one owned by a horner at sistersville

Old 06-22-2004, 12:08:29 AM
zach williams

and the last and rarest, a dc&u bd tillinghast convertable gas and steam engine, we are working on getting this one! to complete the conv set!

Old 06-22-2004, 12:10:37 AM
Chuck in Tx

Default keep em comin bro !

I was standing up next to that tree the morning you took the shot of that 15 F&T . Was it flooded or what ? 12hp Innis-Bessemer down here