Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Spang Well Drill Info Search

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 3137 times

Old 12-01-2006, 10:53:08 PM
Registered

Default Spang Well Drill Info Search

Hello.
About a week ago I purchased an old well drill at an auction, and I am in search of some information about it. There is a small metal sign tacked to the side of it that reads "Spang Drilling Tools," but no other identification. I remembered seeing Russell Farmer's article on Spang & Co. engines in the March 2006 GEM. I am guessing that these might be the same companies. I dobut this drill was for oil wells, though, but probably more for water wells. It is mostly wood, and was originally horse driven and horse powered (though it was advertised as being powered by a 4 hp F-M H, which was sold as a seperate lot).
Any information anyone can provide would be appreciated. I would love to find some original advertising pictures, and other pictures and info.
Thanks,
Charles Wise

p.s. I hope to have pictures of the rig within a week or so.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2006, 09:15:07 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,832 Times in 257 Posts
Default Re: Spang Well Drill Info Search

I have a photocopy of an ad for the horse drawn Spang bailing rig and I have seen old well drilling rigs that are wooden. With a name like Spang I would expect it was for oil field use. Am looking forward to seeing a pic of your rig. I live only 40 miles from Butler where the Spang Company was based & the had a branch in my hometown of Sandy Lake Pa. for the production of electrical controls. I saw the auction ad in GEM & was surprised to see one so far from home! Bill Klein
Old 12-11-2006, 10:42:25 PM
Registered

Default Re: Spang Well Drill Info Search

I too have pics of a Spang rig as well as an Etna rig also made in butler. I have a bailing winch rig with a TW phillips engine on it, I don't not know if the rig is a Phillips rig or not it is bluish green, with a big 6 foot sprocket and chain that goes to the clutch on the the crank of the engine. 2 levers at the rear one brake and one clutch on the winch, the rig also has a post for a walking beam/Sampson post set up. the unit is riveted together, so it look to be correct.? its about 22 feet long. but, it looks to be stationary? I thought bailing rigs where mobile.? thanks