Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Those special engines?

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 3414 times

Old 04-23-2007, 08:21:28 PM
Registered

Question Those special engines?

Do you have a special engine/s that mean something to you? Will you ever get rid of them?

As a teenager a neighbor gave me a old Clinton engine in a peck basket. Yes a basket case. I cleaned and restored it. He died a few months later. Several years ago my father inlaw gave me a Briggs NPR6 in pieces in a 5 gallon pail. I had just had surgery on my foot and was sitting on my porch with leg propped up when he brought it over for something for me to do. Instead of pitching it he wanted me to restore it.

I did it sitting in my chair.

Well he just passed away in January. I now have 2 engines that will never leave my collection. We have been cleaning out FIL's shop the past few days and I find he also had been a engine nut. Many tools he had stashed over the years. Gibb puller, flywheel pullers, parts, manuals, and some stuff I had never seen before.

So I'm curious, do you still have your first restoration or special engine?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2007, 08:28:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,137 Posts
Default Re: Those special engines?

I have 2 special engines, and 2 special tractors. The first engine, is a 3 h.p. Fairbanks that was the first engine we had that my dad got running, it started iron fever in the both of us. The secont engine is a 2 1/2 H.P. Stover that my great uncles dad bought new. The first tractor is a 1940 International TD-6 crawler that my great grandad used to farm the land that my parents place is on now. And the secont tractor is a 1953 Golden Jubilee Ford that I basicly grew up on, plus its always been ''dad's tractor." So those are my four that I will be keeping until im dead. Here is a pic of me on the TD-6 last fall, using a spring tooth to prep for grass seed below the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TD-6.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	18486  
Old 04-23-2007, 09:31:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,713 Times in 845 Posts

When I was a small boy, my grandpa had a homemade lawnmower which consisted of a wooden frame, wooden handles, a largish circular sawblade with three mower sickle sections bolted on for "blades". This was turned by a Johnson Iron Horse. He later on did get a "real" lawnmower and the homebrewed special was junked. The engine was stored in his granery until about 1990? when they moved into an apartment and an auction was held to clear out their old house to be sold. I remembered that Iron Horse and was interested in it, but thought it might go too high. I did get it for the handsome sum of $37.50 and brought it home. It was bolted to an oily board that also held a flat metal gas tank which was loaded with tar, so I tossed that. I changed the spark plug, rigged up a temporary gas tank out of an old soup can and, after thirty years, it started! I cleaned it up and painted it. It sits on a shelf in my shop now, being started occasionally. I'll hang onto that one. Grandpa passed away in 1991, just three weeks after my wedding, at the age of 86.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:39:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts

My special engine is a single cylinder Maytag engine. It was our first engine. My dad brought it home from work one day in 1979. A co-worker gave it to him. It was stuck and full of water, but in real nice original condition on the outside. We got everything freed up and it ran great. Then one day in 1996 I had an attack of stupidity and sold it. I regretted it every day since then. Last year the man I sold it to passed away and I was able to buy it back at the estate auction. It will never leave my possession again.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Old 04-23-2007, 10:32:34 PM
Registered

I have my great grandfathers jaeger engine and cement mixer---It was my first engine,...I also have my IHC t-20 tractor, Being my first, I do not want to part with it. Sooner or later I hope to buy two tractors that have been in the family for many years...If I get them, They will not be leaving either.

Mac Leod
Old 04-23-2007, 10:39:45 PM

Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,300 Posts
Exclamation Re: Those special engines?

I worked on my first lawnmower when I was 5 years old. Grand pa made the mistake of telling me I could help him 'fix' his brand new B&S powered mower. He left a hammer, a flat blade screw driver, and a pair of vice grips next to the mower. I 'fixed it' real good. I still have the only intact part left to that poor brand spanking new B&S aluminum block engine, when I was done helping grandpa - the carburetor! The first machine I ever 'repaired' was a REO Royale, with the 30 degree cast iron engine. I had found it in the trash, and towed it home with my bicycle. I filled the tank with gas, and pulled my brains out with the wind a rope starter. I must have wound that darn thing a hundred times, before I got so P.Oed that I kicked the machine so hard, it tipped over. i went into the house, nursing a nearly busted ankle, only to have mom yelling at me to 'pick up that piece of s--t in the drive, and put it back where you got it, and oh yeah, clean the spilled gas up before your father gets home'. I limped out to the REO, set it upright, and decided to try and start it one last time. It started on the first pull, and I ran it for years, mowing lawns. I still have it, and just had to replace the tires, as they were wiped out, nearly to the rims! My kids are now interested in the machine, to take to shows. that one will never be sold!!!
Andrew
Old 04-23-2007, 10:46:18 PM
Registered

I have a 3 HP Simplicity that I bought many years ago from a local "old-timer". He died in 2002 at age 92. This will probably be one of the last engines I part with. I also have a Big 6 Sandwich that I bought a few years ago from an old acquaintance who now has terminal Alzheimer's. Absolutely complete and undamaged, although it was lovingly painted and lettered by his wife. Not the best paint job, but I will keep it that way. Al Wait
Old 04-23-2007, 11:06:51 PM
John G. Simpson

My IH 1 1/2 hp LA. BOUGHT BY WIFES GRANDFATHER. GIVEN TO HER DADS BROTHER PAT, THEN TO HER MOM'S BROTHER BERT, THEN TO ME. It rested from 1946 to 1974 upside down in a shed. was buried under a pile of manure.
BERT RESCUED IT, GOT IT RUNNING(after several bath's) I GOT IN 1990.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:09:31 AM
Registered

I have three engines that came from my grandfathre and plan to go to my three boys. 1 1/2 John Deere , 1 1/2 cushman, and a la IHC. I also have a 1/4 case steam engine Dad built and a small stationary engine Grand pa built. I have the Little Giant boiler with it but Needs a lot of work will probably be yard orniment unless I win lottery to be able aford to get it fixed.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:13:08 AM
Registered

Thanked 4,982 Times in 1,067 Posts
Photo Re: Those special engines?

The most precious one of my engines is my F-M No.1 Eclipse. It was my first engine and my father bought it for me when I was 10 years old. It will never leave the collection.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml...anksmorse.html
Old 04-24-2007, 01:52:27 AM
Registered

I'll never part with my 1935 Briggs model Y. It belonged to my Grandfather,who died in 1958 when I was 11 years old. Grandma was always mad at him for dragging home all that "junk". It's still in it's work clothes and runs great.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:03:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,034 Times in 1,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Remillard View Post
I have 2 special engines, and 2 special tractors. The first engine, is a 3 h.p. Fairbanks that was the first engine we had that my dad got running, it started iron fever in the both of us. The secont engine is a 2 1/2 H.P. Stover that my great uncles dad bought new. The first tractor is a 1940 International TD-6 crawler that my great grandad used to farm the land that my parents place is on now. And the secont tractor is a 1953 Golden Jubilee Ford that I basicly grew up on, plus its always been ''dad's tractor." So those are my four that I will be keeping until im dead. Here is a pic of me on the TD-6 last fall, using a spring tooth to prep for grass seed below the house.
Tanner, you're lucky to have been able to hang on to the TD6. I also grew up on a TD6, my dad bought it the year I was born, & I rode on the fuel tank behind him from the time I was able to sit up there...I think I absorbed Diesel into my butt, leading to a lifelong addiction...the smell of Diesel, dirt, & sagebrush is like a time machine. I have another TD6 now, not the same one. I still know where our old 6 is, the guy told me I could have it, but it's basically a hulk, been robbed to death for parts. Maybe someday when I retire & get time, I'll try to resurrect it. Everything I have is sorta special, but the Briggs WMB is the first engine I ever "restored"-they didn't even call it that then, I just "fixed it up"...
Ron in CO...
Old 04-24-2007, 08:31:49 PM
Registered

i've got 2 engines i'll never part with. my first engine is a stover ke that my grandfather bought for me when i was 15. and he help me restore it as it was my first hit and miss engine. and the secind is a massey harris type 2 i got from one of my grandfathers really good friends. the friend that had that engine must be in his 90's. this year i hope to take it to a show he frequently attends and show it, so he can hear it run. the last time he had heard it running was 3 - 5 years ago.

jordan
Old 04-24-2007, 11:11:50 PM
Subscriber

Greg and others,
We have a few engine's that hold a special place in our family. I think Dad (Ray Forrer) would agree. First is the RV it is the first engine that we (as a family )got running it was one of the last ones that Grandpa bought before he passed away. This engine has been to almost every Show we have been to at Sandwich Illinois. The 1 1/2 HP and 4 HP Sandwich's also Grandpas engines. Dads Sandwich Cub which goes with the other 2 Sandwich's. The 3 HP Witte Logsaw That we bought (Dad 1/2 me 1/2) 21 years ago. Grandpas Viking Twin That I have, I have messed with this since 1976. I might have missed some but I think I have got them covered. If it was not for the 1st 3 engines we (Dad and I and our Familys) would not be in engines. And They are not for sale. I almost forgot My McCormick Deering 1 1/2 I bought in 1983 in pieces Dad and I put it back together and it is on Grandpas McCormick Deering Cart.

Bud Forrer
Old 04-25-2007, 10:13:44 PM
Registered

Hey Bud, you forgot Grandpa's corn sheller. Not an engine, but definately special to me. A Sandwich Corn King 1 hole Sheller that almost got away from us! Just a good thing we were able to spot in on the consignment sale and able to outspend everyone else that day! Also have a JD 1 1/2 that came from just west of town, and a Battery Fairbanks Morse 1 1/2 that lived north of town. The F/M mixed cement for a living and the original truck wheel show it, kind of oval from being set up once or twice? Most of our engines could tell some very interesting stories if they could talk! Of course, maybe it's better they don't!
Ray
Old 04-25-2007, 10:32:28 PM
Subscriber

Dad
Yes those are all special. I also forgot about the Gade and the 5 HP hercules that took 3 generations to get the stuck piston out (Grandpa, Dad and I) All of those pieces of equipment have a special place. We also have let some special engines go on to other family members or friends like Grandpas CC case (parts) so that a friend could do something we would never get around to! The other special engines included some Fuller and Johnsons, Sattley, Novos, Those have been scatterd across the country with Uncles and cousins, and a 1 1/2 hp Sandwich (Grandpa Rays engine) that is going to pull another generation into this addiction, (sister and her husband and 2 sons). Just like Dads 12 grandkids and 8 Greatgrandkids they are all special!

Bud Forrer
Old 04-26-2007, 12:27:13 AM
Registered

Photo Re: Those special engines?

It Would Have To Be My All Original Stover Ct-2, It Was My First Engine That My Grandpa Had

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/attach...1&d=1167870354
Old 04-26-2007, 07:04:48 AM
Mike F

my first engine was a kbb woodpecker , it started this wonderful thing

called rustitis ... last night i finished the restoration.

it would take a fools money to get it from me ..

mike

pics. coming soon
Old 04-26-2007, 07:58:37 AM
Registered

Smile Re: Those special engines?

I have an engine and tractor, The engine is a common 1941 Briggs model BR6. I got it in the late 80s from a neighbor when I was a teen for $15. I told him i was looking for an engine for a tiller, he said I have one with a crank out in the yard someone gave me. I thought it was one of those wind up starter aluminum briggs but when I saw it, even though it wouldn't fit the tiller, I had to get it. I had it running in a couple days It has almost no wear and runs like new. He has since passed away and i have it to remember him by.
The tractor is A 1942 Case model DI my father bought it about cheap at a city/county auction in about 1985-86. An old fellow at the auction told him he got the best deal at the auction. It was bought by the military in WWII and later used for a plane tug and mowing around the airport. It had about 10 coats of paint on it orange, olive drab and about 6 to 8 coats of yellow and turf tires. He drove it home cleaned it up, painted it orange, put a set of used grader cleat tires on it, added a set of ford fenders, a belt pulley, a used mainfold and new muffler. We also cleaned out the crankcase and got the water out of the trans/axel. We used it since for pulling a big disk and pulling logs and other jobs. it is not anywhere near restored but is a sort of rare tractor and I plan on keeping it just the way it is.
I plan on always keeping both of these, Andy
Old 04-26-2007, 09:59:56 AM
Registered

I'll always keep my Briggs Model A. Bought it for my go kart when I was 12 years old from Mr. Abernathy, neighbor who ran lawn mower shop in his garage. Gave him a Briggs N with broken rod and $5. He helped me install new rings using wire for a ring compressor.
Also Hoppy, my first hit and miss. I bought it from John Otto and Randy, about six years ago. They had some small Economys with the cam and governor gears nearly worn out. I asked if they had anything nicer and one of them said where's Hoppy the other said it's gone, I hope no one picked it up. It is a little 1 3/4 HP SAMSCO Nelson on skids. They had it running and it had hopped out of their area, around the corner and out of site Those engines hit with alot of authority and jump a little with every hit. So the name Hoppy

Last edited by Bill Geyer; 04-27-2007 at 08:38:13 AM.