Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Uncle Harry, I did it....

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 1049 times

Old 11-11-2001, 09:55:21 PM
Red(Mike) Matthews

Default Uncle Harry, I did it....

...I bought my first engine. Yesterday I went to an auction up in Hannibal (upstate NY). There was a waterpump in the auction listing and I had to check it out. Well I got outbid on the pump but the IHC LA and pumpjack left in the back of my truck. The flywheel and pulley won't turn now but a fella at the auction said it did turn earlier in the day. Maybe somethings broke in it? Maybe I better get a book on engines and start reading.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2001, 10:58:57 PM
Bill Sherlock

Default Re: Uncle Harry, I did it....

Sounds like a 1 1/2 HP IHC "M" that I bought at an auction sale awhile back. It was totally seized, but I knew that before I started bidding. The auctioneer made like he was surprised when someone told him it was seized as it supposedly was free when it was brought in. (Right, maybe somebody switched engines when nobody was looking??) I doubt very much that an engine would seize up in a matter of hours or days if it really was free when brought in. Anyway, good luck on getting things loosened up without breaking them. Be extra careful in trying to remove the side plate; don't try to pry it off with too much pressure as it's likely seized on the camshaft and crankshaft as well and is easily broken. Will likely require a lot of penetrating oil & time to soak in. You will need to remove the welch plug to get penetrating oil to the camshaft. You might also want to use some fine emery paper or steel wool to remove rust from the exposed end of the crankshaft as well, before trying to remove the side plate.
Old 11-12-2001, 12:21:36 AM
Roger

You can print the the instruction manul for your engine at the link below.

Search the archives here on SmokStak under stuck engine for good tips.

http://www.oldengine.org/docs/
Old 11-12-2001, 01:32:17 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,274 Times in 2,496 Posts

Mike: Welcome to SmokStak and the old gas engine hobby! (Mike is my nephew from up at the old stomping grounds of central New York.) Not to mention that Hannibal was in my back yard and my oldest daughter went to school there. My Witte engine also came from there and I also know where there's a nice old sideshaft sitting in a barn.

I dont have that particular engine Mike, but there are many people on here who do. It appears that you'll need to go to Walmart and pick up a couple three cans of PB Blaster to use as penetrating oil. I'll email you some links for info. I bet you'll be going to the Canandaigua show next summer!

-- Harry
Old 11-12-2001, 09:52:56 AM
Pete

Hi Harry! I don't mean to cut in on this nice gentlemans post but this PB Blaster.....what is it exactly used for? In other words,,,,what department will I find it in Wal Mart? I have a stuck piston also. Thanks for a great site Harry!!
Old 11-12-2001, 10:18:29 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,274 Times in 2,496 Posts
Default Re: Penetrating Oils

Do a search (on the main SmokStak menu bar) for "PB Blaster" )

There are over TEN THOUSAND messages posted on this web server! Doing a search either on the current items from the menu "search" or by reading about searching the "Archives" in the FAQ page can present you with a load of information about your favorite topic.

I've picked up a couple cans of PBB myself and am soaking the pulley bolts on an Alpha DeLaval milking machine pump. We'll see how it goes. http://www.old-engine.com/alpha.htm

-- Harry

Old 11-12-2001, 10:47:21 AM
Don Wiley

Pete;

I talked my NAPA store into stocking PB Blaster. It comes in a spray can like WD 40. I won't throw my gallon of WD 40 away just yet.

"DELCO DON"
Old 11-12-2001, 01:36:49 PM
Ed Kinch

Hi Delco Don,After you use PB Blaster,you will throw away the WD40.I've used both,there is no comparison!I can get PB Blaster at Carquest or Napa.Ed Kinch
Old 11-12-2001, 02:09:49 PM
Bill Sherlock

I would keep the WD-40 for the other suggested uses posted here!!
Old 11-12-2001, 02:24:27 PM
Benny Mckheean

I also have tried PB Blaster from a previous post.It works better than anything I have ever used.I found mine at the local Wal-Mart in automotive right beside the WD 40.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:57:27 PM
Jim Thistle

Is this PB Blaster better than KROIL?
Old 11-12-2001, 06:47:16 PM
Fairbanks_Kid

I find that a combination of a good bath with electrolysis and penetrating oil works most of the time
Old 11-12-2001, 06:49:24 PM
Ed Kinch

Hello Jim,I have used both Kroil and PB Blaster and many others including Del Vecchio's which is very good.I find Kroil to be very good,however PB Blaster in the best i've used so far. Ed Kinch
Old 11-12-2001, 08:34:44 PM
D. Smith

I rember a couple of years ago we thought Gibbs was the best! But six to eight bucks a can?--- I doint think so! Blaster works good for me. D. Smith
Old 11-13-2001, 11:59:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,926 Times in 1,741 Posts

While wandering around at Walmart this morning in the automotive section, I spotted the PB Blaster . I bought a can for $3.76. Thought I would try it on some of my rusty stuff instead of "GIBBS" to see how it works for me . No arthritis yet , but I have an old case of WD-40 and a couple of gallons just in case .

Just trying to have fun - SOMETIMES

Paul in NJ
Old 11-13-2001, 05:55:29 PM
In Memory Of

WOW ! I envy you guys that have time for penetrating oil ;-)

I go to the shop in morning, pull the next work order, find that it is an ignitor or a mag that is a frozen lump of rust, and it has to be finished before lunch time ;-(

If it were not for a good hot torch and a bucket of water, I would have been out of business years ago. I have been heating and quenching cast iron for 30 years and have never had anything break or crack.

I use WD-40 or Gibbs or what ever is in the shop at the time for cleaning and light lubricating but never for unsticking rusted parts, I am sure some of the products work great, I just don't have the time to wait on them.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:17:59 PM
Chuck Tx

I would have to concur with Ted , in my experience horribly siezed parts are not affected by penetrating oil much . If they fit loosly enough ...great ! the oil washes the rust out of the joint ,just as water WILL do . Allowing the bits to move freely . Its sort of like toothpaste ,only the belief is there that one needs it . You can spray oil in a cylinder that has had water sitting in it for 50 years , and let it soak for 10 more .And sometimes it just never gets through . I have , it didnt . Time for acetylene and a press ! 10 minutes later the piston is out .
Old 11-14-2001, 04:16:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,926 Times in 1,741 Posts

I'm with the "HEAT" group. If it doesn't want to come apart easily "> , out comes the torch . I would rather heat it for a few minutes and have it come apart easily than use penetrating oil, get anxious and then break something . Been there and done that a few times .

Paul in NJ