Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Tracks to the past

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1775 times

Old 09-01-2008, 12:08:59 AM
Registered

Default Tracks to the past

Hello Folks,
I would like to invite everybody to come to our 6th annual show Sept. 6 and 7. We will have our quarter scale steam locomotive running all weekend taking rides. There will also be antique cars, trucks, tractors, gas engines, military vehicles, steam engine, sawmill, and shingle mill. Also civil war reenactors, wood carvers, alpacas, miniature horses, birds of prey. For more information please go to our web site www.nworrp.org .We are easy to find in Findlay, Ohio at the northeast corner of I-75 exit 161. I look forward to seeing you at the show.

Jim Arras

Last edited by Jim Arras; 09-01-2008 at 05:15:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Arras For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2008, 11:01:10 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,133 Times in 3,930 Posts
Default Re: Tracks to the past

Hey Jim!

Sounds like a good time with interesting options--other than just steam....

I'll probably take you up on your offer to take the locomotive for a spin!

Beth
Old 09-02-2008, 09:58:42 PM
Registered

Hey Beth,

Lets see...If we get you on the locomotive, maybe we can sucker you ....I mean ask you to help run at Christmas yep that's it, another engineer. I better shut up before you hit me!!

Bring the Model A along if you want. Lots of good food, great pancakes in the morning, and when the crowd is gone we have a big feed with a lot of the exhibitors.

Jim
Old 09-02-2008, 10:24:30 PM

Jim,

Your locomotive looks a bit smaller than the Crown that I ran....think I can handle it??

Christmas?!?! That is when we bring out the St Nicholas & Shepard Express!

If it is a "park & shine" show, the Model A won't fit in....it's still in its work clothes! Now the Port on the other hand.....

Let me make it to Saturday & see if I have to work first....

Beth
Old 09-02-2008, 10:33:36 PM
Registered

Beth,
Not a park and shine show. We are working things in the field. With no rain and all the dust I don't think there will be much shine around!!

Jim
Old 09-03-2008, 12:19:00 AM

Jim,

Are exhibitors welcome & if so, what are you looking for?

Would the Model A just have to sit in line or can it be driven?

With the Civil War re-enactments, how much room is there?

Beth
Old 09-03-2008, 04:26:33 PM
Registered

Beth,

We are open to any exhibitors that would like to come. We will take anything in the older line of equipment. In the past we have had a guy bring in his 2 foot gauge loco and cars, he just left them sit on the semi. About anything is welcome. The model A can be drive if you would like, the civil war reenactors don't take up a lot of room at this show, most of the time they are just showing how camp would be set up. This is not a major event for the reenactors, just some of the local guys. A lot of the cars and trucks just sit like the do at a cars show but that is not a rule.

If you are an exhibitor, we do free pancake breakfast as a thank you for showing. You just have to be there before we stop serving.

Jim
Old 09-03-2008, 09:24:25 PM

I looked at the flyer again-for those who are curious. Here are the details on admission, pancakes & rides.

Daily Admission: $2.00 ($1.00 for children 12 & younger)
All-U-Can Eat Pancake Breakfast: $5.00 ($3.00 for children)
Train Rides: $1.00 per passenger

Who's sawmill are you using & who is the sawyer? Billy?

What kind of display do you have with the Erector sets? We had quite the discussion with Ted last weekend over his collection & how much kids learned when they played with them. We all agreed how much kids learned when they played/worked/experimented with those sets. They also compared equipment that they designed (steam engines & fans of course.)

Anyone else going?

Beth
Old 09-03-2008, 09:57:44 PM
Registered

Beth,

The sawmill is owned by one of our members and he will be running it. He has had this mill for 5 years ( I think), he is still learning but has had a couple of good teachers.

The Erector sets are Ted's, so what he will bring this year I don't know. In the past he has filled a space along the wall 50' long. We have had to cut him down as space is needed for the wood carvers, and other displays. So we will wait and see.

We are not a big show, but we have a nice mix equipment.

Another full size caboose will be moved in on Thursday, this has been a year in the works. The crane is here and trucks will be here in the morning, so if all goes well ( ODOT has us permitted on I 75 with 1" of clearance on one of the bridges, slow going on that one.

If more from the stak is coming please introduce yourself to me. Just ask for me at the gate and they will yell at me on the radio.

Jim
Old 09-07-2008, 10:07:47 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,028 Posts

I was there Saturday afternoon, It was nice to meet you Jim Arras. I like the little model train. toot! toot!! I figured it was a former House of David Benton Harbor, MI. I didn't ride on a train but went there to watch and help them solve some of problems on sawmill and thresher. There was a Frick engine operated by Jim Lashaway . Frick is owned by Lashaway family.
Nice building outfit. Museum displays were well set with historical artifacts. One box car and two caboose and depot.
Around dozen tractors and some little and large gas engines. Some animals were presented and a musical whistle.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:36:52 PM

Hey Craig,

I must have just missed you. They had sharpened the teeth on the sawmill when I was on my way out. Those blades just don't like steel! They had run a metal detector over all of the logs & got the "clean blessing."

The 1/4 scale locomotive is cute, but I felt sorry for the engineer having to wear goggles due to the smoke. The jacket on the engine was beautiful too!

The animals are always nice for the kids. The 2 teams of minature horses were a handful. Pulling straight & listening were not in their plans.

The sand pile with the drag line and other toys was wonderful. You could do a study in human nature by just watching the kids interact. It was almost like a mini Lord of the Flies drama. You could really see the workers, the leaders & the I don't wanna be heres.

The show & the grounds are an example of what people who care can do....always more to do, but they have saved multiple buildings & equipment for all to enjoy. Jim said he's pretty much lived there when he isn't working.

Beth
Old 09-08-2008, 09:40:04 PM
Registered

Hello Beth and Craig,

It was good to see both of you at the show. Was not the largest show we have had but not bad, still room to grow. The engineer on Saturday was from Chicago, we run a taller stack most times to keep the smoke up out of your face. Beth, the jacket is beautiful, but the work that went in to cutting and fitting, I am just glad it's over.

The sand pile is the biggest hit at the show, most kids was crying and throw a fit that they had to leave.

We need to finish the clean up then on the the next event in a few weeks.

Thanks again for coming,
Jim
Old 09-08-2008, 10:26:47 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,028 Posts

Hey Jim Arras,

I like the tour the museum and their children activity. I bought a book called "Images of Rail Toledo Railroads" authored by Hise and Pulhui. I have tried to research history on how or which railroad hauler use to be for The Banting Mfg Co Toledo, Ohio 1901 to 1929. I understand Toledo has a big circle of rail tracks destinations!. Partial Banting building is still standing today right next to rail track and across University of Toledo. Do you know which railroad went by Banting that time ?
Enclosed two photos below
1.train load of Greyhounds sent to long distance.
2. Banting Greyhound plant Electric trolley on east and west. North and south is railway on west side of plant.
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trainloadofgreyhounds10.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	39318   Click image for larger version

Name:	bantingplant10.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	39319  
Old 09-09-2008, 09:57:23 PM
Registered

Craig,

I will do some checking and will let you know what I find out.

Jim