Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

"Spraying" in Red-Kote tank liner into unremovable tank. Anyone tried this?

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 6872 times

Old 08-08-2009, 10:13:06 AM
Registered

Default "Spraying" in Red-Kote tank liner into unremovable tank. Anyone tried this?

I am looking for help/feedback on using tank liner to stop rust in a JDeere gas tank.

Here's the story:

I have 2 stationary tanks welded in place which have been collecting significant condensation due to infrequent use. This in turn has created rust which damaged the engine.

Having rebuilt the engine and carb, I am planning on cleaning (muriatic acid) and lining (red-kote) the tanks prior to reassembly.

The tanks cannot reasonably be removed and so, need to be lined in place. They, and the JD frame are such that the tanks cannot be "tipped, sloshed, or rolled" to facilitate proper coating.

My thought was to use a wand sprayer to apply the materials through the filler holes. By removing the spray tip, the spray should spray thin streams of material in 4 directions. This should allow me to "coat" the tank via the 3" opening and allow residual to drain out the drain plug at the bottom.

So:
1. Spray tank with muriatic acid coating entire interior.
2. Rinse tank with bicarb solution to neutralize acid.
3. Rinse tank with water.
4. Rinse tank with MEK/Acetone solution.
5. Allow adequate drying.
6. Spray tank with 7 or 12 coats of tank liner material.
7. Allow several days for drying.

NOW FOR THE PART I NEED HELP WITH:

I will need to thin the liner significantly in order to force it through a spray wand. Damon (red-kote's manufacturer) has no knowledge of anyone ever spraying its product but does discuss thinning it as much as 30% to get around tank baffles in newer tanks.
Other forum posts talk about catching residual liner, thinning it, and then reusing it again.

So, has anyone out there tried something like this? Or, can any of the paint experts look at this product and advise me on how far I can go in thinning it and still get acceptable results? I can apply as many coats as needed.

Thanks in advance for any feedback offered.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Fuel_Tank_Sealer.html

YZ1

"I always prefer to learn from someone else's mistakes before making my own." Albert Einstein

"Besides, if you get enough advise, you can always blame it on someone else....." Jim Carrey
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2009, 07:38:58 PM
Sky

Default Re: "Spraying" in Red-Kote tank liner into unremovable tank. Anyone tried this?

You HAVE to make that tank mobile to tip it and coat the inside. The amount of thinner you would need to use to make Red-koat sprayable is BEYOND reccomended limits of thining thus taking away the necisary body the coating needs to leave a good sealing coat, interior of the tank. The only reason you thin Red-Koat anyway is if it gets slightly stiff in the can. And were not talking about a whole lot of thinner even in that case. After the tank is coated, sloshed around for about 5 minutes you MUST drain the tank and rid of exess Red-Koat, otherwise it WILL "pool" and WILL NOT cure properly. Now if we are looking at a case were the tank is unremovable PERIOD, not able to be made mobile or tipped, I would not reccomend Red-Koat as it is VERY necisary for this particular coating to maintain much of it's body to perform correctly (to as it was intended for and used) And most importantly, to cure properly.

Last edited by Sky; 08-08-2009 at 07:53:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:09:08 AM
Registered

Default Re: "Spraying" in Red-Kote tank liner into unremovable tank. Anyone tried this?

Unfortunately, these tanks are cavities in the frame and cannot be removed. The unit sans engine still weighs in at over 4k.

My only other option would be to use a cutting torch to open up the tank cavities. Not a happy thought.

Using a sprayer wand without a tip still seems like the lesser of two evils. Just to clarify, I'm looking to thin it just enough to pump it through a wand, not actually spray it. More like squirt or flow it out the end of the wand tube; no tip.

From Sky's description, Red-kote sounds too thick even to push through a 3/8" tube. One of the radiator shops which turned down the job felt that if Red-kote can drain out of a 1/2" drain hole, it should be able to be pushed through a 3/8" tube. ???

I'd welcome any alternative ideas on tackling this. I know I could just throw money at it, but if I can figure out how to get a liner to work, I could keep it looking original. (as opposed to sealing them up and adding external tanks)

thank you to sky for the first reply.

YZ1
Old 08-09-2009, 10:46:22 AM
Sky

You can run Red-Koat through a 3/8 tube. You can run Red-Koat through a 5/16 tube. But i had pictured you wanted to spray this in by means of a spray nozzle. Something you would paint with. In that case as said above, thinning Red-Koat to that thin of a body would render the stuff useless.

You can run Red-Koat in the tank, you can push Red-Koat in the tank, you could probably roll Red-Koat on with a roller or lay it on with a very fine paint brush if you can get your hand in any opening if it is that big of a tank. But you absolutly HAVE to drain exess back out after the coating process other wise it WILL "pool" and will NOT cure. Draining exess can prove more labor intensive then putting it in. Expecially with a non removable or non movable tank as you've described.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:25:00 PM
Registered

Arrow Re: "Spraying" in Red-Kote tank liner into unremovable tank. Anyone tried this?

Aloha from Hawaii
I am not familiar with Redcoat, but I have done several restorations with Harley Davidson tanks using a product called Kreeme. You might google it up and see if it would work for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to 808Donald For This Post:
Old 09-27-2009, 10:28:00 PM
Registered

Thanks again to Sky and all who helped "think" thru this.

The solution here was a vacuum line to remove puddled liner solution. The vacuum line was created from 9' of 3/8 "rigid" tubing, and a clean peanut butter jar.

During cleaning, the frame and tank were positioned using floor jacks so that undrained cleaner would all puddle to an accessable location as viewed through the 3" filler hole and then be vacuumed out. The same position was noted and then used after lining to remove undrained liner.

The 3/8" rigid plastic vacuum line was attached to a 4' dowel which could be extended into the tank and vacuum the puddles.

The vacuum line then went through the lid of an empty peanut butter jar which collected the unused liner for reuse. A second line then came through the jar lid and was clipped to the end of a shop vac hose. I then sealed/unsealed the shop vac hose around the tube to increase/decrease the amount of suction. Just like you might use to bleed brakes on a car.

This worked well with only 4 noted adjustments.

1. Red coat was thinned 50/50 with acetone without any noticeable change in performance. 8 coats were used/4 hours between coats to get the same thickness as 2 coats of 70/30 would have. Found that leaving the spray tip on provided better coverage.

2. All "soft" plastic hoses on the poly garden sprayer were replaced with "rigid" plastic. (Acetone would melt the "soft" plastics)

3. Between each application, internal rubber rings and seals on the sprayer were removed and dried after cleaning and allowed to airdry until beginning the next application. (Acetone would melt the "soft" plastics)

4. Between each application, the sprayer and vacuum hose got a quick "shot" of acetone passed through which also kept the liner from thickening during each reuse.

Worked like a charm, great product.

After reinstalling the Continental Flathead and adding a Wix water trap to the fuel line, it now purrs like a old kitten.

It was all worth it. I hope the explanation above helps out someone else down the line. I literally couldn't find one person who had done anything similar.

Total cost for lining two 15 gallon tanks, $80.00 u.s.

YZ1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YZ1 For This Post:
Old 10-03-2009, 11:14:46 PM
Monte Stock

Yz1 I think what your proposing will work. The only thing I may add is to put a section of 1/8” copper pipe onto an air nozzle. That way you could bend it around in the tank and blow any remaining puddles around so they can cure. Just a thought. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:05:49 PM
Registered

Monte: I have been looking into coating the gas tanks on my old motorhome but most of the coating suppliers say NOT to recoat the tank after the initial coating. Check with your supplier on this one.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:35:26 PM
Subscriber

add racor water fuel seprator and drain valves and reg. drain them .there are some other coating out there that work real well..on red kote you may mis some places are mis some puddles after spay and i dont know what that would do when it gets into your eng.