Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Old Monarch Crawler? Torched!

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2758 times

Old 01-20-2010, 11:05:58 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,177 Times in 698 Posts
Default Old Monarch Crawler? Torched!

I was at an auction this past Sat. There was what I believe to be a Monarch 50 Crawler there. Very rough!!! But still alot of good parts. Someone had cut the frame where the original motor would have been and replaced it with a Waukesha engine on runners by welding the runners where the frame was cut out. There was no monarch name to be found on it as the radiator was a wauka. and the ser. no. plate probably disapeared with the frame. Looking at info and books at looks to be a Monarch (has steering wheel, the front crossmember resembles other scans, seat brackets) A buddy of mine went back later to pick up his purchases and what he saw, he had to pass down to me today. He said it was sold for scrap price and the guys were cutting her up on the spot. Makes you wonder how many good parts could of been salvaged. I'm sure someone out there needs parts for one. Granted not the correct motor but the drive train and tracks? I've sent some scans and a pic of it for comparision to verify that is what it used to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monarchbw.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	71846   Click image for larger version

Name:	monarch50bw.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	71847   Click image for larger version

Name:	monarch 50.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	71848  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 02:27:57 AM
Registered

Default Re: Old Monarch Crawler (???) Torched!!!!

scrap steel prices are on the rise again - lotsa good stuff is going to be headed to the grinder
Old 01-21-2010, 05:51:39 PM
Registered

Default Re: Old Monarch Crawler (???) Torched!!!!

TERRIBLE!!! Someone needs to let them know they could have got twice scrap price where it sat without lifting a finger or spending a penny on cutting gas. Too often unless it has the manufacturers name on it people don't know what it is, don't care, scrap is something they can't tax you on or deny unemployment/disability payments for collecting, I know one guy who hauls scrap because if he had a regular job he would have to pay alimony, and another one who has several liens against him when he hauls forest products to local mills, but the scrap money goes in his pocket. Some places locally started writing down social security numbers of scrap haulers so people just take it somewhere else that doesn't ask. I would have thought the clunker program would have produced lots of scrap but then that is tin, not heavy iron. Since everyone took everything they could, by hook or crook, last time scrap was up, and of course inflation fears nibbling at the dollar, I suppose it makes sense prices are going back up. So once again, PLEASE save what old iron is left, even for barter or mending stock.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:25:27 PM
Registered

Default Re: Old Monarch Crawler? Torched!

Is there anything left at the scrap yard a gear, idler anything ?