Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Soda Blasting

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 6275 times

Old 07-01-2010, 11:27:14 PM
Registered

Thumbs down Soda Blasting

Tell us about "Soda Blasting" I already gota cheap Harbor Freight sand blaster. Can I build my own?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2010, 09:25:42 AM
Registered

Default Re: Soda Blasting

Short answer is NO, the slightly longer answer is sort of.

The question that needs to be answered first is what do you want to use it for?

1} It doesn't NOT REMOVE RUST PERIOD!

Other than the heavy loose flaky kind of rust, I had some smart PIA correct me on another forum. Just one more LIM.

2} It is designed for gentle, removal of paints, and dirt and curd from delicate objects. Wood, and other materials, objects.

3} All the info about using old dry powder fire extinguishers is mostly a crock. As the baking powder will cake faster than you can refill the can. The powder size is smaller than the other stuff, used as blast media.

4} Eastwoods and other peoples conversion rigs for blast cabinets,may look like just about $10.00 of hardware fittings. Its the nozzling and other machined bits in side along with the anti caking parts.

5} There seems to be a lot of people that only post half the truth on stuff on the web. They claim they built a successful working unit, but never come thru with the plans or complete info.

6} Then you have the anti import equipment people, they should get over it. Because it never going back to the way it was.

7} So you have to figure out what you want to do with the media blasting units, the media you want to use as far as the aggressiveness. Of the media, and how often you will use it. the types of materials you want to clean.

The latest and greatest is C02 blasters, that use dry ice to effect the surface condition removal. The units are very expensive. But they are popping up at rental places as they are used in building and artifact renovation/restoration.

Dryice blasting

There are all kinds of media to blast with
Here is Eastwood's selection
Horrible Fright sells the same two grades of soda by the same company.
You can get glass beads, walnut shells, and sometimes steel shot there also in addition to the other media they sell.

You also can get black beauty media from TSC for under $10.00 a bag I got some on sale for a couple bucks under it a while ago. For the newbee's TSC is Tractor Supply Company they have a web site, but they have stores located all over the US.

This is a good source for info on media and tumbling for small parts cleaning

Here is a thread on another forum with input from an Eastwood employee

Eastwood also has a forum were there is probably more info too.

I have the small 10 pounder from Horrible Fright, I haven't used it yet. As I have to many other projects and honey do's open right now.
I do buy my soda from them also with the 20% of coupon it is cheaper than other places.

nozzle end of a soda blaster small hole and lower pressure.

regulator/moisture trap.

Secondary regulator for fine tuning the pressure and shut off above and behind it.

I will say that most of the soda blaster bottle I have seen and the one I have. The fill neck is to small and it will be a pain to refill it.

This is the steel shot that HF sells for shot/lead bags and is used in monument and sign blasting of stone and wood signage, along with heavy material removal.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:38:54 AM
Registered

Default Re: Soda Blasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake in spokane View Post
Tell us about "Soda Blasting" I already gota cheap Harbor Freight sand blaster. Can I build my own?
Blake,I have done a number of rusty engines with soda using a cheap syphon type blaster. Just make sure your air is dry.It will bring cast back like new without removing any fine stampings unlike garnet.
Wear a good mask and you also won't need to much soap in the shower after.