Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Shaper AND a mill?

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1924 times

Old 11-10-2010, 11:25:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,624 Posts
Thumbs up Shaper AND a mill?

I'm always irked at guys who find some fabulous deal & then gloat about it, but...I'm not above taking my turn...
I've always thought it would be nice to have a little shaper, I've looked at dozens of them on ebay, but they're always way back East somewhere that the freight would cost as much as the machine...same deal w/a little horizontal mill, like an Atlas...
So, I'm looking through Craigslist the other day, & what do I see but a South Bend 7" shaper & an Atlas mill, BOTH!!! Less $$$ for the pair than the freight would be to get ONE of them here from back East... And the best part? 70 mi. from home... absolutely can't pass up a deal like this...
So, I emailed, got a number, called, got directions to an off-grid place way back in the mountains, , & for less than 1/4-tank of Diesel for freight, a very nice South Bend shaper & an OK Atlas mill are sitting in my driveway...& I'm happy...
Pics when it stops raining & I can pull the tarp off...
Ron in CO...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 03:21:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,889 Times in 3,753 Posts
Default Re: Shaper AND a mill?

I was lucky enough to pick up a little 7 inch Delta shaper a few years ago with very little run time on it. Other than a few spots of surface rust, it's almost like new. I'd have to go through my reciepts again to be sure but it was somewhere in the $200.00 - $300.00 range and only 7 miles from home. Passed up on one 25 years ago in the same price range, and had been kicking myself ever since for not getting it, so I wasn't about to make that mistake a second time.

Most jobs that a shaper will do can be done on a mill, but for internal keyways you either need a shaper, or a several sets of broaches for all the different sizes.