Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

16'' doall band saw

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2797 times

Old 11-16-2010, 10:57:32 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,272 Times in 293 Posts
Default 16'' doall band saw

i got a small 16'' bandsaw the other night

it takes up to a 1'' blade .what is a good blade to use.i won't us it a lot i have a 7x12 hack saw .

i will be making a feed table so the saw will be used to notch out and cut short stock that the hacksaw can't hold

metal could be up to 2'' thick
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2010, 01:17:48 PM
Registered

Default Re: 16'' doall band saw

We have had luck with 10/14 TPI and 14/18 TPI (teeth-per-inch). I would say the wider the blade, the better, and most of all: the slowest speed that your saw can run for cutting metal.
Good Luck and happy cutting,
Chuck
The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Pierce For This Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 04:37:26 PM
Registered

I like the Lennox bi metal blades.

On the Doall vertical band saws I have used came with a several sets of guides for different blade widths. We used mostly the 1/4" wide blade and used carbon steel blade stock. We could cut a small radius with these blades. (Think of copper and steel gaskets for steam applications.) Also we would cut the blade to length and weld them with the built in blade welder. It was real handy if you need to saw a hole in something. We would drill a 1/2" hole, cut the blade and insert it through the 1/2" hole. Weld the blade and saw the hole to size. Then cut the blade and remove it from the part and re-weld it for the next job.

We mostly used carbon steel blades and watched our blade speed to match the material. We could go for weeks on one blade if everyone watched their blade speed. Generally the only time we had a problem with the blades was if someone not fa miler with speeds and feeds would try to cut an Allen wrench or something. Which the carbon steel blades were never to do.

I suppose if your saw doesn't have the blade welder you will have to get prewelded blades. Just have some wide and narrow blades and be sure the proper guides are installed for each blade width. You shouldn't have much of a problem at all.

Richard W.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard W. For This Post:
Old 11-16-2010, 04:51:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,272 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W. View Post
I like the Lennox bi metal blades.

On the Doall vertical band saws I have used came with a several sets of guides for different blade widths. We used mostly the 1/4" wide blade and used carbon steel blade stock. We could cut a small radius with these blades. (Think of copper and steel gaskets for steam applications.) Also we would cut the blade to length and weld them with the built in blade welder. It was real handy if you need to saw a hole in something. We would drill a 1/2" hole, cut the blade and insert it through the 1/2" hole. Weld the blade and saw the hole to size. Then cut the blade and remove it from the part and re-weld it for the next job.

We mostly used carbon steel blades and watched our blade speed to match the material. We could go for weeks on one blade if everyone watched their blade speed. Generally the only time we had a problem with the blades was if someone not fa miler with speeds and feeds would try to cut an Allen wrench or something. Which the carbon steel blades were never to do.

I suppose if your saw doesn't have the blade welder you will have to get prewelded blades. Just have some wide and narrow blades and be sure the proper guides are installed for each blade width. You shouldn't have much of a problem at all.

Richard W.
i don't know what blades i bought for the bandsaw hack saw ,but i can't how much steel i cut with the bade .it was a 64 '' and cost 35 the jobber ones or 10m and allways break at the weld

i don't have the welder on this one .my frind has one so i will order 2 blades for now and buy a roll and get him to weld them up

i think with the feed table i will make will help the blade last longer as the steel will be clamp in and a steady pressure

just ordered a blade 14 teeth 3/4 10 feet for the good stuff here is 62 bucks

Last edited by Brian.P; 11-16-2010 at 05:59:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:44:58 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,483 Times in 515 Posts

we use 1/4" bi-metal blades for everything. even if you have to "rip" a long piece the 1/4" works great, just clamp a fence on the table.

we have an old do-all with the power feed, blade welder, tach, variable speed, original cabinet for storing blades and a set of band files. one of the handiest tools in the shop. just remember the pitch of the blade needs to be 3 teeth per thickness of material, minimum. we usually just keep a finer toothed blade on because we sometimes saw sheet metal.

example: 1" stock = 3 tpi
1/2" stock = 6tpi

a bandsaw is the fastest way to remove material. i have a book that shows band machining a blank for a helical gear. if you remove 90% of the material with the saw you'll speed up machining and also add life to cutters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBoogie For This Post: