Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Stone holder thread size

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2597 times

Old 11-21-2010, 08:52:02 AM
Registered

Default Stone holder thread size

Does anybody know what the thread size is for Black & Decker valve grinding stones. I was given A Souix valve grinder and a B&D seat grinder, the B&D is missing the stone holder and mandrels. I figure it would make a good lathe project. Any tips would be appreaciated. I know you can buy replacements, but the investment price was 0$. I'd like to keep it that way, I'm kinda cheap. Oh yeah, I'm not so much interested in using the funky looking B&D drill, for as much as I'll use it, I figure a battery drill will suffice.
Thanks
GUS
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2010, 10:04:52 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Stone holder thread size

Standard B&D is 9/16-16, and the the more common Sioux holders have 11/16-16. They make a bushing for the B&D holders to take the Sioux stones.

Holders are on catalog page 27;

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14944523/2...ilders-Catalog

Rick

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Gus,

If you pm me your address I'll send you a free B&D holder with a worn-out drive hex. It came with my set, and I'll never use it. You could weld some sort of flexible drive coupling and turn it with a drill. Heck, you could even turn a shouldered shaft in your lathe, and couple it to the holder with 4 inches of rubber hose and two hose clamps, and your ready to grind seats.

Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick McKay For This Post:
Old 11-21-2010, 12:04:25 PM
Registered

You may find that a battry drill doesn't run fast enough for grinding seats. I would check the RPM of both drills.

Richard W.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard W. For This Post:
Old 11-21-2010, 01:59:53 PM
Registered

Richard is right. A battery or regular drill will not be fast enough. I want to say that the seat grinders run at 10,000 RPM's. It will not grind the seat true. You have to use a certain technique to grind valve seats. You don't push down on the stone. The only weight that should be on the seat is the stone and the holder and none of the weight of the motor. Jesse
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBdairy For This Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 07:37:59 AM
Registered

Well, it seems that brainfade ranks supreme at Gus' place, somehow my brain remembers it was a B&D, when I flipped the grinder over it is a Bluepoint made or distribited evidently by Snap-on. I think I borrowed a B&D grinder a few years ago. At any rate, the 11/16" seems to be correct.
As for the speed, it didn't occur to me that speed would be a problem, I may be able to make an adapter from an old socket and use the old Bluepoint.
I dug the grinder out to do my buddy a favor on an old Gray engine, he may have been better off to head to a machine shop, but I still want to get the grinder going. I've done some valves for myself on the valve grinder which is in pretty good condition except for the coolant pump.
Thanks for the replies, if it works out I'll let you know.
GUS
PS Rick, thanks for the kind offer, but I don't think I'll be needing it now.

Last edited by GeneratorGus; 11-22-2010 at 07:39:56 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-23-2010, 08:33:47 PM
Registered

Get the coolant pump going, you'll double the life of your stones and not ruin that one valve that is the only one left in captivity