Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Silk Screen on Tank

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 5245 times

Old 12-26-2010, 11:30:54 AM
Registered

Default Silk Screen on Tank

I'm restoring a 19841/2 Harley Davidson FXRDG. H-D only made 836 of these bikes. First year of Evolution engine and bike came with special paint and a solid disc alum.rear wheel. The gas tank on right side has a dent rite thru middle of H-D logo and it is creased at end of dent. Logos are not vinyl graphics but silk screened on. H-D factory restoration dept. does not have replacement logos, they were no help at all. Anybody ever run into something like this or have any ideas. Bike has to be repainted. I've finished everything else just paint work left
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2010, 01:39:16 PM
Registered

Default Re: Silk Screen on tank

Are you sure that it is silk screened on the tank? as it is difficult to silk screen to compound curved surfaces. Since the process it self requires the screen to be against the surface that is being printed on.
Having a photo of the tank and area or the good or even damaged side. Since most will not be into bikes on this forum. How many colors etc.

There are methods that are used, pad printing is one way think of the printing and designs on the die cast NASCARs and other matchbox sized cars.

Simplest form is a rubber stamp, into a paint pad then pressed on to the surface leaving a raised painted logo or word.

Here is one type process:
Pad printing cycle

1. From the home position, the sealed ink cup (an inverted cup containing ink) sits over the etched artwork area of the printing plate, covering the image and filling it with ink.
2. The sealed ink cup moves away from the etched artwork area, taking all excess ink and exposing the etched image, which is filled with ink. The top layer of ink becomes tacky as soon as it is exposed to the air; that is how the ink adheres to the transfer pad and later to the substrate.
3. The transfer pad presses down onto the printing plate momentarily. As the pad is compressed, it pushes air outward and causes the ink to lift (transfer) from the etched artwork area onto the pad.
4. As the transfer pad lifts away, the tacky ink film inside the etched artwork area is picked up on the pad. A small amount of ink remains in the printing plate.
5. As the transfer pad moves forward, the ink cup also moves to cover the etched artwork area on the printing plate. The ink cup again fills the etched artwork image on the plate with ink in preparation for the next cycle.
6. The transfer pad compresses down onto the substrate, transferring the ink layer picked up from the printing plate to the substrate surface. Then, it lifts off the substrate and returns to the home position, thus completing one print cycle.

Image plates are used to contain the desired artwork "image" etched in its surface. Their function is to hold ink in this etched cavity, allowing the pad to pick up this ink as a film in the shape of the artwork, which is then transferred to the substrate.

Pads are three dimensional objects typically molded of silicone rubber. They function as a transfer vehicle, picking up ink from the printing plate, and transferring it to the part (substrate). They vary in shape and durometer depending on the application.

Everything from Medical devices,Contact lens to auto parts and golf balls are done this way. Automotive parts (turn signal indicators, panel controls, etc.) Letters on computer keyboards and calculator keys.

There is also a process were an ink mylar ribbon is used and the plate is heated to transfer the ink from the ribbon to the part.

Simple curved surface like glasses or tube objects can be done with silk screen.

All though the inks are the same for both processes neither is a good one for a one time shot, due to the expense/equipment involved.

Your choices are have it done free hand by somebody that can work with the ink directly on the tank.

Or either have it done by having it printed on vinyl and applying it they do have clear vinyl substrates, or have an old fashioned type water slide decal made up.

Here is the first video I came across on utube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbi0qz9P2Gc

All the standard disclaimers apply
The Following User Says Thank You to PTSideshow For This Post:
Old 12-26-2010, 03:26:03 PM
Registered

Wasn't your Willie Glide finished with a single hand-painted gold pinstripe to separate the panels, and the old "Genuine Harley-Davidson" decal put on the tank panels. The whole paint job was then over cleared to remove the "steps" in the decal and the pinstripes.
The Following User Says Thank You to xplor For This Post:
Old 12-26-2010, 09:52:38 PM
Registered

Thanks PTsideshow, as I thought I'm way out of my league on this. Xplor you rite about hand painted gold pinstrip between colors on panels, but H-D factory restorations says without any doubt that it is silk screened on tank then cleared. Process was only used on a few bike themes due to being cost prohibitive.After reading PT's explaination I undrestand why. Probably will have it hand painted on tank just hate to destroy good side without knowing for sure it can be duplicated. Will post pics so you guys can see what I'm talking about.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:37:57 AM
Registered

bear, whynot buy another tank, have it painted, then keep the original put away till you can find an original? just a thought. scott
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott Vassar For This Post:
Old 12-27-2010, 01:43:55 AM
Registered

That's a good idea only problem is it's going into a collection and will be move around to different shows and displayed. If it was going to be this guys daily ride that's definately what I'd do, get another tank and paint to match and through some vinyl graphics on it. I'm dealing with a purest on this job
Old 12-27-2010, 01:28:21 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,589 Times in 371 Posts
Smile Re: Silk Screen on Tank

I have played around with silkscreen some.
I did a big write up on this forum about my experience.

It would be difficult to do curved or compound surfaces. However, if you are sure your tank was silkscreened then....it must be possible.

If there is more than one color, the difficulty goes up exponentially. I had bought photosensitive material and exposed it with a computer print out of the art work. I found, unless you have plenty of time, patience and money, you would be ahead of the game by finding a local silkscreen (t-shirt) shop and have them make the screens for you. I ultimately bought my last screens from my local shop for about $10 apiece. If you can do the artwork on your computer so that the silkscreen shop doesn't have to fool with it, that is a money saver too.

Here is my post.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...ght=silkscreen

I hope it may help. I talk some about T-shirts because that is one of the most common things silkscreened but I did finally get around to silkscreening a waterhopper. (One color and a flat surface.) If you do persue silkscreening I would appreciate any posts of your experiences.

Waterloo Billy Boy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobGill2008 For This Post:
Old 12-27-2010, 01:35:28 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,137 Posts
Default Re: Silk Screen on Tank

what about airbrush. the "right" artist should be able to do it without knowing the difference. i know of such a person. p mail or e-mail me for his name and number. he is the best in the world. if he can't do it, it can't be done.

rod
Old 12-27-2010, 03:10:00 PM
Registered

Will do. I going to get some pics on here soyou guys can see what I'm talking about

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Rob a friend of mine Mickey Harris has painted a few things for me in the past. My trike is on his web site Indian theme trike for Red Bear. Talked to him a little about this just trying to work things out for him to look at it. Man stays gone all the time, according to his( Slave) wife.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:16:26 PM
Registered

if you can't find mickey, he's probably at my shop having a snoot of crown. he does a lot for me also and my coupe is on his web site, mickeyharrisart.com. he is the man. i hooked him up with foose several years ago. chip says he is the best there is.

ps

don't let laura hear you calling her slave. she WILL kick your ass. and another thing, if you share a motel room with him, take ear plugs. he talks all night in his sleep.

rod
Old 12-27-2010, 04:21:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

I'm obviously not a "Purist", but if it was me, I'd just snap a good clear picture and have a simple water slide decal made for it.

If you're clear coating over top of it and sanding smooth to remove the edges, would anybody really be able to tell the difference ?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:31:41 PM
Registered

hey bear

could we see a photo of the good side of tank

rod
Old 12-27-2010, 09:40:59 PM
Registered

I'll get some posted tommorow. Sorry about spelling not my strong point.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

I call Laura slave cause all her emails to me are signed (Slave).
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear991 For This Post:
Old 12-28-2010, 02:46:03 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,589 Times in 371 Posts
Photo Re: Silk Screen on Tank

Pictures are worth a thousand words.....

Waterloo Billy Boy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobGill2008 For This Post: